Thread: Homeland

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    ^^ Looks pretty good. I am hopeful.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Watched the season premiere. I really do like Mandy Patankin's character. Like in that he isn't one dimensional.

I also like this show since they do location shoot - they maybe faking places for other places, but at least it doesn't all feel like it's on a sound stage.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I also like this show since they do location shoot - they maybe faking places for other places, but at least it doesn't all feel like it's on a sound stage.
    Most of season 4 was shot in South Africa, including interior stuff set in D.C.

The whole of the new season is being shot in Berlin, being the first American show to do so.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Past episode- pretty good until the last scene. Meh.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Resurrection: I'm enjoying this season. Mostly because it's in NY and Shaun Toub is in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I've enjoyed it too. I think they're building a good path to what will be their 8th and final season. I'm glad that for once, a Showtime program is planning their exit this early.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This series has been absolutely amazing so far, so on point politically. I guess knowledge of this fake news stuff has been out there before this past election made it common knowledge

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This series has been absolutely amazing so far, so on point politically. I guess knowledge of this fake news stuff has been out there before this past election made it common knowledge
    Agreed. Hearing F. Murray Abraham say "For fuck sake" made my night. I'm at a lost as to who the actually bad guys are any more. Really.

For any of you who haven't watched this show in a couple of seasons, I think you can watch this season on it's own and be horrified and entertained at the same time.

Also Jeremy Scahill and Gil Scott Heron's voices in the opening credit is just the shizzle.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Agreed. Hearing F. Murray Abraham say "For fuck sake" made my night. I'm at a lost as to who the actually bad guys are any more. Really.

For any of you who haven't watched this show in a couple of seasons, I think you can watch this season on it's own and be horrified and entertained at the same time.

Also Jeremy Scahill and Gil Scott Heron's voices in the opening credit is just the shizzle.
    When it first began with the female president I was thinking they'd dropped the ball a bit but she was nothing like Hillary Clinton and I was thinking about how bad it would be if they'd actually gone with reality and had a Trump like president, the show would have lost all its gravitas because he is such a buffoon. I'm not sure there's any way of seriously dramitising him and have it not be satire

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Ummm, I don't know, maybe, could it be real, what the fuck.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fuck the AV Club for giving this season a rather tepid review. Last night's episode was one of their best finales, and the first half was probably just as intense as the first season's finale.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Spoiler: I didn't like how they killed off Quinn. If his ultimate fate in this show was to die, I would have preferred they did it last season. They gave him a real nice send-off in that particular finale. It feels like they barely acknowledged his death which is a real shame for a character of that magnitude. I'm curious to see where this show goes now. Quinn was basically carrying it since Brody's death.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    **SPOILERS**

Finally was able to catch up on the last season so I could be in time for the premiere tonight, and holy shit did it deliver. Season 6 took awhile to get off the ground, but it wound up being really solid. The only real reason I was so engaged was the performance of Rupert Friend as everyone's favorite character on the show, Peter Quinn. At first I was really pissed on how they turned his character into a barely functioning cripple in the beginning, but after finding out that he still had his wit made me really happy and excited to see what was coming next from him. Fuck though, it was so depressing at times seeing him struggle with his demons and what he became after his stroke and it was so freaking powerful, I am surprised that he didn't get more recognition for that performance he put on the screen. I agree as well his death was not handled the way I thought the show would have instead we got a mention of his memorial and that is about it. Overall, it was probably my least favorite season, and Friend definitely carried the season and much of the past seasons to be honest.

As for the premiere.... WOW. Not only did it have my anxiety driven right away, but Carrie seems to be back in her own skin and I love it. Very strong way to open the new season and keep the audience on it's heels with this whole Elizabeth nightmare. Cannot wait to see where this season takes us, because everything is literally up in the air and this is only the first episode.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    **SPOILERS**

Finally was able to catch up on the last season so I could be in time for the premiere tonight, and holy shit did it deliver. Season 6 took awhile to get off the ground, but it wound up being really solid. The only real reason I was so engaged was the performance of Rupert Friend as everyone's favorite character on the show, Peter Quinn. At first I was really pissed on how they turned his character into a barely functioning cripple in the beginning, but after finding out that he still had his wit made me really happy and excited to see what was coming next from him. Fuck though, it was so depressing at times seeing him struggle with his demons and what he became after his stroke and it was so freaking powerful, I am surprised that he didn't get more recognition for that performance he put on the screen. I agree as well his death was not handled the way I thought the show would have instead we got a mention of his memorial and that is about it. Overall, it was probably my least favorite season, and Friend definitely carried the season and much of the past seasons to be honest.

As for the premiere.... WOW. Not only did it have my anxiety driven right away, but Carrie seems to be back in her own skin and I love it. Very strong way to open the new season and keep the audience on it's heels with this whole Elizabeth nightmare. Cannot wait to see where this season takes us, because everything is literally up in the air and this is only the first episode.
    First three seasons were the best IMO. Once Brody died, it seemed like the show couldnt find its purpose, but then did again with Quinn. Now that Quinn is gone, the biggest question I keep asking myself is how long can this show go on, and where can it go? They keep killing off the most interesting characters, and each season comes back to the fact that Carrie is biopolar. How many times can they use that as part of the storyline? I will keep watching because I love the show, but I would be shocked if next season (Season 8) is its last. Usually 8-9 seasons is the average shelf life for a series nowadays.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Spoiler: I didn't like how they killed off Quinn. If his ultimate fate in this show was to die, I would have preferred they did it last season. They gave him a real nice send-off in that particular finale. It feels like they barely acknowledged his death which is a real shame for a character of that magnitude. I'm curious to see where this show goes now. Quinn was basically carrying it since Brody's death.
    I agree with everything in this statement.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    First three seasons were the best IMO. Once Brody died, it seemed like the show couldnt find its purpose, but then did again with Quinn. Now that Quinn is gone, the biggest question I keep asking myself is how long can this show go on, and where can it go? They keep killing off the most interesting characters, and each season comes back to the fact that Carrie is biopolar. How many times can they use that as part of the storyline? I will keep watching because I love the show, but I would be shocked if next season (Season 8) is its last. Usually 8-9 seasons is the average shelf life for a series nowadays.
    I respectfully disagree. Carrie's bipolar problem is a major factor of who she is... It is a part of her. So her living with her sister and her family, it makes sense that this would come back up in any form in the future after she literally brings her kid and her sisters kid in the middle of all her crap. Her being on and off her meds was a pretty chilling part of the series when she was locking herself up in rooms because at that point in the series, she was able to work better off of them. It really hasn't been a focal point in the series for quite some time, so juxtaposing her behavior when she is off her meds is valid because she has a addictive personality with or without them. We knew this already yes, but it's a big deal when she really puts the country over literally anything.

I find it amazing that Quinn even lasted as long as he did with the situations he was thrown into since him and Carrie first met way back, as for the other characters like Dal. Every character in Homeland has been expendable, and now I see it as catching up to all of them. However, I do agree that the next season should be it's last... But who knows where this season will take us. It's off to a great start.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-16-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The finale was great. I can’t believe nobody is talking about it! Goodbye to the best show on television of this past decade.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    The finale was great. I can’t believe nobody is talking about it! Goodbye to the best show on television of this past decade.
    I came here to find folks talking about this yesterday, but it hadn't floated to the top. I agree, it was good.

Spoiler: I don't understand why Carrie didn't realize she had enough info on the Russian Asset for the Kremlin folks to figure it out before going after Saul. I'm certain if she described the spy as a female English teacher in the Berlin academy ~1985 the GRU would have figured it out. Unless of course she wanted to give the asset a chance of surviving, but that short of Carrie getting the facilitator lady to call off the kill team early enough for Saul to make the call. That seems like a real stretch.

Biggest issue with the episode was when Saul's sister tells Carrie her front door locks automatically when you close it. They go in and out that door from both sides 4-5 times after that. I guess the continuity review team bailed out early.

If you've not checked out homeland it's a solid binge candidate.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 04-27-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    yea that door detail seems like a detail that was added for no reason. maybe things took a different turn in the edit.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Little details like that didn't derail me from enjoying this send-off. In the end, Carrie is better off away from the people she is closest too, with her and Saul's relationship literally coming full circle. Saul's face at the end and even Carrie's is such a subtle but powerful way to show that they will always need each other in some form and that the race will never end.

Starting the episode with Brody's message and ending it off with the jazz music... Ugh... So so good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Not read any details or spoilers but I’m 2 episodes off the end and am definitely on the Homeland train this season. Started this season just wanting Carrie to get revenge on Yevgeny and now I don’t know what to think, it never gives you what you want does it?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Not read any details or spoilers but I’m 2 episodes off the end and am definitely on the Homeland train this season. Started this season just wanting Carrie to get revenge on Yevgeny and now I don’t know what to think, it never gives you what you want does it?
    It really doesn't and that is what I love about the show. Total return to form for season 7 and 8.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Binged the last two seasons this weekend. They stuck the landing, something nearly impossible if a show goes on that long. I was encouraged by hearing that the series was finishing up with an 8th season, before the 7th started. Showtime has notoriously let shows go on for far too long, but because of the prescient nature of this, it made sense that they went the distance.