Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: A Million Listens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Million Listens

With Fall around the corner I am looking for some new music to drive to and take long walks with. I listen to a lot of music but find myself returning to many of the same records. Most are sonically complex and feature lots of layers. I like the fact that I feel like I hear something new after the 1000th listen of the Fragile.

Many of these are 90s albums. I feel like there was so much creativity and “realness” in music compared to today.

I will list some of my favorites to give you an idea and hopefully introduce someone else to some great stuff.
    The cream of the crop
    Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works II – The album that got me into Ambient – those soundscapes!!!
    Bjork – Homogenic - electronic / drums / strings - feel warm and icy cold at the same time
    Marilyn Manson – Mechanical Animals – Perhaps a guilty pleasure? MM is what he is, but this album is gorgeous!! I love the production down to the little segues/interludes between songs

A Perfect Circle – Mer De Noms / Thirteenth Step – great headphone music
    NIN – TDS through Still – Do I need to elaborate?
    Pj Harvey – To Bring You My Love – PJ is a force of nature. Great bass sounds.
    Portishead – Dummy – love the “dusty” and soulful sound of this album. It sounds old and comtemporary at the same time
    Radiohead – OKC through Amnesiac – anyone who wonders why Radiohead are treated like gods, proceed to this trilogy
    Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream through Adore – those guitars!!! Adore was every bit as brave a change in direction as Kid A
    Sonic Youth – Dirty – wish fulfillment! Drunken butterfly!!
    Tool – Aenima / Lateralus - Amazing
    Tricky – Pre Millenium Tension / Maxinquaye - Maxinquaye is the sexiest album EVER. PMT is so claustrophic and paranoid sounding.
    U2 – Achtung Baby / Zooropa – Flood has the magic touch
    Unkle – Psyence Fiction – criminally underrated

Other amazing stuff:
    Those piano pieces on Aphex Twins Drukqs
    Verspertine
    Bowie’s Low – ENO!!!
    Dave Navarro – Trust no one – a hidden gem
    Dredg – El Cielo – the most underrated band on the planet – amazing live performers as well
    Explosions in the sky – the earth is not a cold dead place
    Godspeed you black emperor
    Mark Lanegan – Bubblegum – he has a very strange discography – either good or not so
    Nearly
    Puscifer
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Tweaker
    Twilight Singers – Powder Burns – some great stuff on here – another hidden Gem
    Kranky ambient – Stars of the lid – winged victory for the sullen

Tried , but can’t get into (and should maybe give another chance)
    Flying Lotus
    Grizzly Bear
    The Knife
    The Mars Volta
    Arcade Fire

What am I missing? There has got to be some great stuff out there obscured by all the pitchfork hipster stuff….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    offhand, i don't see depeche mode on the list, violator, songs of..., ultra.

front 242 : front x front, tyranny for you, up evil, off, or even pluse. (electronic + production, albums get more experimental over time)

the sisters of mercy : first last & always, floodland, vision thing. (each album is very different, vision is the most "rocky" floodland is very moody)

the kidneythieves : zerospace.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    does not understand thread

The Musical Revolution???
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-19-2013 at 08:00 PM.