Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks - Spoilers

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    I finally had time to sit down and watch episode 5. About lost my shit when Ernie Hudson -- who I've been watching play Warden Leo Glynn on Oz for the past year or so -- showed up. And Jim Belushi was never this chilling in anything I've seen him in. Didn't even recognize Tom Sizemore until I saw his name in the credits; that dude is looking rough.

Also..

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I have a feeling that this thing is just utterly baffling people who aren't Lynch fans.

I'm not saying it isn't baffling to ME, but that's par for the course. That's part of why we like it.

The sad thing is that yes, Lynch went full Lynch and it's fucking utterly stunning, but because of that, i don't think Johnny Americana and Stevie Reasonable are gonna be clamoring for a season two.
    I'm actually glad it's like this. Now all the "fans" who were riding the Twin Peaks bandwagon around Internetville in the run up to the revival can move along after having their mind fucked for the past six weeks, leaving the fans who grew up with this show and know that its weirdness is its driving factor to patiently watch this new season unfold.

I think they'll do another season or few. Even those of us who have been hardcore fans of this show will be unpacking this season for years to come. The best television is the most challenging television, and for that, I've been drinking this whole experience in.

Plus, it's running in tandem with what is going to be a huge second half of 2017 for NIN, with the reissues, festival shows and new music in the coming months. These are great times to be alive

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    care to elaborate on both?
    King Arthur references have been a trope all throughout the series. Here Jayne-E or whatever she's called meets the ransom people Guinevere/Merlin.

Re: Sonny Jim. The Autobiography of Agent Cooper details his love for The Hardy Boys and Cowboys, and several other elements of SJ's bedroom call back to Agent Cooper's childhood. If Dougie-land is a projection of Cooper's brain they're pretty cool details to put in. Even if not, they're fun for fans, and I don't think SJ is meant to be read as "evil" more "what could have been" or "prophetic innocence".

While the plot is very slow in pace, the episodes so far have been littered with bits and pieces for geeky squee-dom. There are also a ton of references to The Secret History of Twin Peaks, which is canon and is really useful for putting series 3 in context and working out the multiple truths (it's set in 2016, where as we think the "present day" scenes in series 3 are around 2014).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The scene where "Stabby Joe, the dwarf" bends his stabby was more emotional than the mockish, cloying child death scene...... Surely deliberate.

The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

I'm actually glad it's like this.
    oh, don't get my wrong. I fucking LOVE it; it really, seriously feels like an 18 hour movie helmed by my favorite director.

I just hope enough people are watching it.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)

I know that, save for Naomi Watts, this has little to do with Twin Peaks, but sweet christ this is still one of the most powerful things I've ever heard in a movie or even life itself. My axis literally shifts every time I hear it..

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

I know that, save for Naomi Watts, this has little to do with Twin Peaks, but sweet christ this is still one of the most powerful things I've ever heard in a movie or even life itself. My axis literally shifts every time I hear it..
    I cry during that scene too.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    So are the old books worth a read? Coop's autobiography ( @icklekitty ?)
    What about Laura's Secret Diary? Has anyone read that one? I hear there's an audiobook version performed by Sheryl Lee.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I've read secret history, coop's diary, and Laura's diary. Laura's one you probably know everything but it's quite short. I haven't read the final dossier but I haven't seen anyone reference it yet. Secret history is a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you can't find a copy of The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes. You can read it here http://glastonberrygrove.net/texts/coopbio.html

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is also available to read on the site.
    Last edited by quietime; 06-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    I read and adored Secret History; actually read most of it twice.
    And I will read the Final Dossier as soon as it comes out (on Halloween.) I was wondering what you guys thought of the old ones though. Some people have said they were great while others called them a shameless cash grab. :\

And what about "Diane..." The Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper? "
    It was originally cassette only but I THINK I saw it for sale as an mp3 or something.

Edit: Yes, they did release The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer in an audio format with Sheryl Lee reading it last month; i'm gonna nab that.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    If you can't find a copy of The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes. You can read it here http://glastonberrygrove.net/texts/coopbio.html

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is also available to read on the site.
    The PDF version this person made seems to be better because it's in order, whereas the one on glastonberrygrove is out of order, for some reason
    http://leesmillard.com/2014/11/20/da...ography-ibook/

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    And here this is:

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I've read secret history, coop's diary, and Laura's diary. Laura's one you probably know everything but it's quite short. I haven't read the final dossier but I haven't seen anyone reference it yet. Secret history is a must.
    final dossier comes out in october, i believe, so i'm guessing no one has read it yet.

had no idea there was an autobiography of coop.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So, I am all caught up with the entire show (After basically binge watching the entire series) and I am still lost . The new season seems to go off the rails as far as the horror and imagery are concerned, but it still feels Twin Peaks for sure. I had to go back and watch the last two episodes of season 2 since I started to fall asleep and man, that last episode was friggin' nuts. From researching the series, there seems to be some stuff to check out like Fire Walk With Me, and the diary's that I just read about above. Is there anything crucial that happens in the movie or anything that is read from the diary's that effect the story in any way?? Point me in the right direction.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    So, I am all caught up with the entire show (After basically binge watching the entire series) and I am still lost . The new season seems to go off the rails as far as the horror and imagery are concerned, but it still feels Twin Peaks for sure. I had to go back and watch the last two episodes of season 2 since I started to fall asleep and man, that last episode was friggin' nuts. From researching the series, there seems to be some stuff to check out like Fire Walk With Me, and the diary's that I just read about above. Is there anything crucial that happens in the movie or anything that is read from the diary's that effect the story in any way?? Point me in the right direction.
    I'd suggest watching FWWM since David Lynch said it was important to the new season. It introduces the ring, agent desmond, and agent jeffries.

People are split on the film, but it's personally my favorite David Lynch film. It's probably his darkest movie. Ray Wise, Sheryl Lee & Al Strobel are amazing in it. Plus it's probably got Angelo Badalamenti at his best with the otherworldly score.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'd suggest watching FWWM since David Lynch said it was important to the new season. It introduces the ring, agent desmond, and agent jeffries.

People are split on the film, but it's personally my favorite David Lynch film. It's probably his darkest movie. Ray Wise, Sheryl Lee & Al Strobel are amazing in it. Plus it's probably got Angelo Badalamenti at his best with the otherworldly score.
    I would also add The Missing Pieces to that, and i think it's fairly important to read "The Secret History..."
    The book may not be ESSENTIAL, but it's certainly enrichment.

The Missing Pieces felt like finding a bunch of hidden songs on an album you love.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-18-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I would also add The Missing Pieces to that, and i think it's fairly important to read "The Secret History..."
    The book may not be ESSENTIAL, but it's certainly enrichment.

The Missing Pieces felt like finding a bunch of hidden songs on an album you love.
    you should absolutely watch the film (and the missing pieces...there's a version mentioned earlier in the thread that incorporates them into the movie, but that makes it a single, nearly four hour experience) before you start the new series.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    So i was looking around for Twin Peaks youtube content today, looking for something like an in-depth "previously on..." type of thing for the new series and i found this guy called Pete Peppers who does a fairly good job of jogging my memory.

It works for me. Here's the recap from last week if you guys are interested in such a thing
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-18-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    The hardest thing to understand in this series so far is what is going on with that weird-as-shit wig that Laura Dern is wearing

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    First thing I think of is the "blue rose" girl in FWWM. Related?

The decision to play "Green Onions" uninterrupted was perfect.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Man i love Twin Peaks and David Lynch but sometimes especially in the latest episode... did we really have to spend so much time watching a dude sweep a fucking floor while Renault waits for a phone call? I don't think i can give it a pass this time, that was some straight up padded horse crap. Look I'm pretty patient, i dig some slow burn and I have just been happy to see the show back after so long period and i get it.. Lynch is gonna Lynch whether we like it or not and this is like an 18 hour movie but come the hell on, lets pick up the pace a bit especially if this is all we're going to get.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    The sweeping aside, this episode was packed with plot advancement. Last week's left me feeling antsy, but this week was Spoiler:
    chock full of instances of Coop slowly coming back to himself, another glimpse of the brown lumberjack from the prison cell, Ben getting the key, and the awful, awful implication that Doppelcoop raped Diane, and very possibly Audrey as well - hence Richard Horne.

On a brighter note: Karate chop to the fucking throat FTW!!!! SQUEEZE HIS HAND OFF!!!!

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    I think there was something hidden in backwards words.

And I'm with @Shadaloo ; there was a LOT of shit in this episode, far more than in any other so far.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-19-2017 at 03:42 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    From researching the series, there seems to be some stuff to check out like Fire Walk With Me, and the diary's that I just read about above. Is there anything crucial that happens in the movie or anything that is read from the diary's that effect the story in any way?? Point me in the right direction.
    Judging by last week's episode and the first five minutes of the new one, defo watch FWWM. The Missing Pieces, too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The sweeping aside, this episode was packed with plot advancement[/SPOILER]
    Fully agree; this episode zoomed along and the sweeping scene ended up having really anxious purpose.

It was great seeing Coop snap back into action momentarily, and I am completely in love with everything Diane. It was a yrev good episode.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Spoiler: that sound that Ben & Beverly heard is definitely reminiscent of the sound the arm made when he rubbed his hands together in the original series. It also happened at other moments in the series, like when the giant appeared to Cooper to let him know another murder was happening, or when Earle was taking Annie into the Lodge.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Fully agree; this episode zoomed along and the sweeping scene ended up having really anxious purpose.

It was great seeing Coop snap back into action momentarily, and I am completely in love with everything Diane. It was a yrev good episode.
    yeah it played like the conclusion of the first and beginning of the second act of a movie. This was my favorite episode since the first one; it's really hitting its stride

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Also I don't know if there was any significance to Gordon's whistling but I really want to mix it with that one Rammstein song.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Watching this season without having seen Fire Walk With Me would be an absolute struggle -- I had never actually seen it until the day before the premiere of this season and made a point to make sure I had, and I'd say it and the finale of season 2 are by far the most important things to have preexisting familiarity with to understand what's going on and what's driving the plot here forward. It's a shame how many people I could see having only seen the show thanks to Netflix and not even knowing about FWWM trying to follow this.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I really hope that the opening scene isn't foreshadowing anything happening to Jerry. I just want that opening scene to stand on its own, he just shows up fine later and this is never brought up again. It will stand as one of the series' funnier moments.