Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks - Spoilers

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Twin Peaks - Spoilers

I just started watching this and have really enjoyed it so far. The surreal nature of the show is great.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    definitely one of the best shows of the nineties and beyond! be careful during season two... common popular opinion (or perhaps accepted fact) is that the show takes a dive halfway through the second season. but stick with it, i found the last few episodes of the series quite excellent, even if it was a long and arduous buildup to the finale.

rarely does a prime time soap opera/drama get as terrifying and surreal as twin peaks. as mentioned elsewhere, i will always love audrey horne. and those julee cruise songs really tug at the heart strings!

opinion seems to be split on fire walk with me, but i very much enjoy it. that said, for any beginners, do NOT watch it first, even though it's a prequel! though do be sure to seek out the two hour pilot on the gold box edition of the series, released a few years back!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I need to pull my finger out and buy that Gold Box Edition. Damn fine TV show! The endings to both series seasons are magnificent.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Damn fine TV show!
    and HOT!

(ten beans)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    and HOT!
    Agent Cooper has some outstanding lines. I also cracked up at this exchange: "What's with the lady with the log?" "We call her 'Log Lady'"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think opinion on Fire Walk With Me was only divided when it was released because Lynch hadn't entered the second phase of his career and people didn't understand the stylistic change. After he made Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive people understood in retrospect exactly what he was doing and revised their opinion on how good it is.

The other reason to watch Fire Walk With Me last is because a portion of the plot is used to tie up loose ends from season 2.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    I think opinion on Fire Walk With Me was only divided when it was released because Lynch hadn't entered the second phase of his career and people didn't understand the stylistic change. After he made Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive people understood in retrospect exactly what he was doing and revised their opinion on how good it is.
    i'm not so sure that's true... eraserhead as definitely a surrealist nightmare (though i guess it could be dismissed as an arty college film). but blue velvet had its fair share of detractors at the time...not so much for it's complex plot, but lynch definitely had the reputation of being a bit out there/pretentious/surrealist/etc. mixed reviews for velvet, if i recall, and definitely a lot of people who hated dune.

if anything, i think lynch has proven himself these days, or perhaps seeing his influence and direction come to fruition has helped his films age gracefully and be viewed as classics. either way, fire walk with me is a must to watch upon completion of the show!
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 12-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I dream that someday Criterion will release a Twin Peaks set with the entire series, as well as Fire Walk With Me. It will never ever happen, but I can keep dreaming.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Twin Peaks is my #1 favorite tv show ever. Speaking of Lynch though, has anyone notice him playing himself in American Dad lately? I caught the Halloween episode and though "that's weird, Lynch is in a cartoon... maybe since it's a weird Halloween episde" -- but then I saw him in another one, too.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    Twin Peaks is my #1 favorite tv show ever. Speaking of Lynch though, has anyone notice him playing himself in American Dad lately? I caught the Halloween episode and though "that's weird, Lynch is in a cartoon... maybe since it's a weird Halloween episde" -- but then I saw him in another one, too.
    I'm trying to make sense of this. Unfortunately I can't find any clips.

Also I reccomend against Fire Walk with Me. By the time you can see it without spoiling everything, it just rehashes everything you know. It's extremely depressing and it lacks the charm that the series has.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It's extremely depressing and it lacks the charm that the series has.
    I actually liked that about the film. It was it's own identity, while still being associated with the series. The story for the series was always dark and depressing, but the show was able to mask that with humor. The film actually dove into Laura Palmer's world showing how un-humorous and serious what she was going through really was. It was a lot less fantastically and grounded more in reality. Very very dark stuff, but also very moving, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love David Lynch's work(including his music). Fire Walk With Me is one of my favorite films by him. David Lynch takes the image of the show I love so much, and destroys all the innocence that remained in Twin Peaks, but after he destroys it, you can see new life start to grow from the destruction. If only he was allowed to show us the new life...

For you Twin Peaks fans, be sure to check out Julee Cruise's first two albums(Floating Into The Night and The Voice Of Love). Produced by Angelo Badalamenti, and lyrics written by David Lynch. They are amazing albums.

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I dream that someday Criterion will release a Twin Peaks set with the entire series, as well as Fire Walk With Me. It will never ever happen, but I can keep dreaming.
    Criterion will be unnecessary since a bluray version of the Gold Box is being prepared, and it's highly likely deleted scenes from FWWM will be released with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    You sure it wasn't The Cleveland Show? David Lynch plays Gus The Bartender on it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i really love those first two julee cruise albums (and might have made mention of them elsewhere in the music forum). fun fact= 'falling' was our wedding processional song!

my original tagline on the old boards was i am the muffin...which reminds me of my favorite scene from fire walk with me, and .

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Criterion will be unnecessary since a bluray version of the Gold Box is being prepared, and it's highly likely deleted scenes from FWWM will be released with it.
    Really? I haven't heard of this. When was this announced?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seriously. How long have we been waiting for those scenes? By the way, the entire series streams in 1080p on Netflix Instant (and it's so beautiful), so there is obviously an HD master of the show floating around out there waiting to be released on blu-ray.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-23-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh man, I love this show. It was definitely a little odd when I saw the first episodes for the first, after i'd seen other of david lynch's works. I was just sitting there thinking "what's the catch? this is almost too normal??" And of course... I was rewarded as I kept watching heh. I had a funny conversation with a couple of friends at school once. During break in class, this girl turns to me and the other guy sitting there and says "So what's up with Twin Peaks? Is it just some bad show from the 90s?" And I immediately turned and looked at the guy, who also looked at me- as if we were both thinking "WHAT DID SHE SAY? WHAT DO WE SAY?" And so we asked her how much she's seen of it, and of course she said only the first episode and she had never seen anything else by lynch so in the end I think we both convinced her to "just keep watching it", since we couldn't really explain much about it. Hehe.

P.S. I still haven't seen the movie however. People have told me to "not bother" but seeing some people here say they liked it, I think I might bother after all. Just for shits and giggles.
    Last edited by halloween; 12-23-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: P.S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've had that conversation so many times, about so much of David Lynch's work. Definitely watch the movie, though, if only because it ties up some loose ends from the series, and it's also very good in its own right. Just don't expect a feature-length version of a Twin Peaks episode, because it's very different. Much darker, much more violent and sexual, as others have said.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    In my opinion, Twin Peaks is a show with kind of a dual identity - part Lynchian weirdness and darkness, part witty, comedic pastiche of American soaps. Throughout most of the show those elements sit together quite happily, but after a certain major event in the second season (don't want to spoil it for anyone), the Lynchian side totally drops out until right at the end. Throw in a seriously underwhelming new villain, and I've never been happy with the latter part of the series.

Fire Walk With Me makes up for it, in my opinion, by going the other way - it's all-out Lynch. Given the foundation of the series, I think it's more accessible and affecting than any of his other films - I'd recommend it to anyone. It's enormously spoilerific if you haven't seen the series, however...
    Last edited by Vertigo; 12-23-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was ready to jump onto the Twin Peaks bandwagon until I made it to Season 2. Fuck it's bad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    You sure it wasn't The Cleveland Show? David Lynch plays Gus The Bartender on it.
    Ahhh, you're totally right it was The Cleveland Show! Getting confused with my Seth MacFarlane shows... but yeah, I found that totally weird and unexpected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lynch has always said the only reason they haven't released the FWWM deleted scenes is because he wants them to be in good quality and no one will spend the money on that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mark Frost announced it on twitter a while back, plus Lynch has mentioned it in interviews. Now, Mark Frost is the only one who has said that it's possible that FWWM deleted scenes may show up on the bluray.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Seriously. How long have we been waiting for those scenes? By the way, the entire series streams in 1080p on Netflix Instant (and it's so beautiful), so there is obviously an HD master of the show floating around out there waiting to be released on blu-ray.
    Legit HD 720p files can be bought on itunes

Quote Originally Posted by cicatriz View Post
    I was ready to jump onto the Twin Peaks bandwagon until I made it to Season 2. Fuck it's bad.
    It gets better towards the big reveal and at the very end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    i really love those first two julee cruise albums (and might have made mention of them elsewhere in the music forum). fun fact= 'falling' was our wedding processional song!

my original tagline on the old boards was i am the muffin...which reminds me of my favorite scene from fire walk with me, and .
    I believe you'll appreciate this then:

So who is a fan of David Lynch's album Crazy Clown Time?

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Clown-Ti.../dp/B005N0C0C8

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I started watching it last month, and I'm nearly finished with Season 2, and I have to say, it's so disappointing to see this once-amazing show go downhill in its second season. I really thought Season 1 was perfect in every way, then Season 2 just got... weird - and not in the good Lynchian way. With the exception of that beautiful Leland Palmer reveal, I can't find myself caring for any of the plotlines or the characters anymore; they aren't real and tangible anymore, and they feel like poorly-made cartoon characters. The storyline with James "on the road" is utterly atrocious, and other plots like Little Nicky and Ben Horne's civil war obsession just brings me to shame. This was such a great show with such complex characters in the first season, and now I feel I have to force myself to finish the show all the way through. While Season 1 to me was a textbook on how to make a TV show in the best possible way, Season 2 seems like a textbooks on the don'ts of television.

Also, although I understand that this was early '90s television, the use of lightning, storms, and all those other cliched scenic devices bother me quite a lot. I really don't understand where the writers are taking this show in the second season, and unfortunately, I don't really care. Every time I watch an episode now, I just get frustrated at how bad it is getting, especially considering how we came to love all these characters so deeply in the first season.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Morad - I know what you mean, but make sure you check out Fire Walk With Me. I think you'll like it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm really looking forward to seeing it after reading this thread actually! That entire "Fire Walk With Me" storyline was exactly what made me fall in love with the show in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Twin peaks is a masterpiece.
    Funny, surreal, terrifying and everything else.
    It's great to see people still discovering the series to this day.
    Fire Walk With Me is also an essential addition.
    I long for a blu ray release of both series one day.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Garrett View Post
    So who is a fan of David Lynch's album Crazy Clown Time?

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Clown-Ti.../dp/B005N0C0C8
    I am. Surprisingly, it's not as abstract as I thought it would be. A lot of people fear that this is getting in the way of him making films, which I think is pure horse shit. Everyone should know that David makes films when he has an idea. He doesn't shit films out like most directors.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This dynamic is possibly my favourite thing about the whole show:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I still need Season One, I own Season Two on DVD and have for quite some time. Snagged it from Big Lots last year for $6.00. Amazing deal.