Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bad/Disappointing/WTF concert experiences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Prodigy at Chicago's Congress Theater - May 23, 2009 - Invaders Must Die Tour
    In spite of the fact that I preferred the previous album, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, I tried to keep an open mind. The show started with a forgettable local DJ playing a numbing 4x4 set for 2 straight hours. Tiga comes on for a decent hour-long set. Prodigy was unfortunately lackluster and I had high hopes. I'm not sure if it was the setlist or the dodgy audio in the venue, but I was disappointed.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I fgure if you aren't embracing it to the fullest a Prodigy show can be very difficult... saw them in 2009 and had a really bad time depsite the show sounding and looking rather nice. But I wasn't feeling well and the reckless jumping around from the crowd really pulled me off. Will give this a chance down the road again!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    OK time for part 2...

Paramore - *this is a long one* I saw them twice in 2007, once was a really small gig (about 250 people) just as RIOT got popular and was the first date with my 2nd GF. It was freaking awesome, super tight and really REALLY fun (plus i don't think they'd ever do a show in such a tiny grungy venue), however the 2nd time was at the end of the year with the same girl (we were an item by this point) at Brixton. We had a meet and greet before and it was all kinds of awkward. It was literally just before Josh (the lead guitarist) quit and the fans (around 200 of us) were only allowed to see them ONE AT A TIME, they were all sat at a desk like we were going for an interview and you could tell none of them were really comfortable with the set up, or the situation in the band...they did put a brave face on though...but that wasn't the worst part. By this time my GF had gotten to a point where i'd started to realise she wasn't as great as i first thought (within 9 months she's moved into my rented single room and refused to help with rent, quit her job because she didn't like working and was having me pay for all her stuff...gigs included, i stupidly at the time assumed this was what being in a relationship was) anyway she only wanted to go as paramore were our first date before and New Found Glory were supporting, but she no longer liked Paramore as she was jealous that i admired Hayley...which is really freaking weird. Anyway after NFG she started making a scene that her back was fucked and couldn't stand, so i panicked at got the staff who brought her backstage, put of on a pully and strapped her head (they and me thought she'd broke her back the amount she was screaming) and went to hospital...where she jumped up and said "it doesn't hurt anymore, lets go home"...all JUST so we could miss Paramore. We broke up not long after.

Festivals
    Reading 2004 (50 Cent)
    - OK, Reading used to do this thing of getting really random acts on during their "heavy" days, and this year they placed 50 Cent between Placebo and headliners Green Day...it did not go down well. When he go on satge he was pelted with water bottles and boo's. after 2 and a half 'songs' someone managed to throw a fold away chair on stage (which was impressive in it's self as the distance between the stage and the crowd was at least 25 feet!) and he promptly left never to be seen again. This did lead to Green Day doing an extended 22 song set with loads of older stuff and covers of Queen, The Ramones and Buzzcocks, so not all bad.

Reading 2007 (the supported acts being better then the headliners) - This was a weird one, the weekend was great, but every headliner was trash! Friday Kings of Leon smashed headliners Razorlight (i'd spoken of how much i disliked them already) to the point they cut their set short! Saturday Arcade Fire were just amazing, and headliners Red Hot Chilli Peppers were just freaking bad (i think the audio got fucked as well, as most of the crowd couldn't really hear them) and Sunday NIN were just on fire...and Smashing Pumpkins....weren't (they didn't even look interested in being there)

V festival 2008 (Oasis) - I'm not an Oasis fan, but they were headlining a festival so i thought why not...silly me. V festival was a 2 site festival, were the acts swapped sites each day. Oasis played the north site Saturday and the South site (were i was) Sunday...unfortunately the Saturday show i also the show they broke up, playing to that crowd and then just not bothering with the Sunday...and the festival organisers didn't let anyone on the south site know until 2 hours before they were due on, which led to a mass exodus. Snow Patrol did their best but they weren't headliners, and it just ruined the whole weekend...this was also my last festival

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    South by So What?! 2014 Day 2.

Bring Me the Horizon, Motionless in White, Attila, Of Mice and Men, and Mindless Self Indulgence was supposed to be the main acts for day 2 of the festival. Well the weather ruined that. Cold, wintery rain. The festival got cancelled for the rest of the day.

Marilyn Manson (2016)

Marilyn Manson is my 2nd favorite band and I have gone to every show in Dallas since 2012 and I'm going to see them next week. Manson opened for Slipknot that night and when it came time to perform the Beautiful People, he half assed it and left. Plus the crowd was dead for most of the set. Here is a clip from that night. Start at 56:22

Mayhem Fest 2015

Instead of having 2 stages for the non headlining acts like previous years, the bookers literally had one small dual stage in a small corner with a Monster energy drink stand and it was a mess. King Diamond and Slayer killed it though on the main stage.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motionlessZombie View Post
    South by So What?! 2014 Day 2.

Bring Me the Horizon, Motionless in White, Attila, Of Mice and Men, and Mindless Self Indulgence was supposed to be the main acts for day 2 of the festival. Well the weather ruined that. Cold, wintery rain. The festival got cancelled for the rest of the day.
    That South By So What was fucked. The one the year before fucking blew as well. I literally only went for All That Remains (the headliner) and they only have Of Mice and Men and ATR like ten minutes each to set up so they went on stage "late." The promoter then used that excuse to blame the band. ATR had to cut half of their set. The guitarist gave me their setlist afterwards and they cut my favorite song they ever did. I was livid.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    @Krazy I saw Ministry at the Eagles in 2003, and yes the place is a sweat box, ive never been so wet after a show.

As for disappointing/WTF performances, listen for yourselfs...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Worst concert I ever saw was Nas in 2000 at the Bob Carpenter Center (Newark, Delaware). Total shitshow. He had like 12 dudes on stage with him; everyone had a microphone. At that point in time, Nastradamus had just dropped and his career was seemingly over. Ironically, the second worst concert I ever saw was SummerJam in the summer of 2002 (Nassau Colliseum). Nas was supposed to be the headliner, but never showed. So we had to settle for Ja Rule. LOL.

Worst concert experience I had was when I overdosed on liquid demerol at Black Crowes/Jimmy Page (PNC Arts Center, 2000). I vomited everything all over everyone.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Reading the Mega review of the recent Smashing Pumpkins show from @Shadaloo in the Pumpkins thread reminded me of that show in 2000.

I witnessed one of those "farewell" shows in 2000, and let me tell you... it was TERRIBLE.
    The show I saw them at, they were headlining a festival called "Summersault"
    You could tell that Billy and friends were already "done" with the band. They were sloppy. They played songs nobody liked or cared about, at a festival mind you!
    It was 80% machina stuff, and the crowd just looked at each other in a daze like "WTF is this crap" James Iha even sang/did a brief cover of Rammstein's "Du hast" for some odd reason.

The "popular" songs they did play, were all warped and unrecognizable. Slow songs were sped up, fast songs were slowed down. Odd solos were thrown into placed that solos were not supposed to be. The whole experience just seemed like a big "FUCK YOU" to fans that came out to see them on their final run. You can tell Billy didn't want to go out with a bang using the typical "hits" that made the band popular. He wanted to do things his way, with this obscure setlist that nobody cared about.

Honestly, @Shadaloo don't feel bad for missing out on that tour. You did the right thing by waiting this long to see the band play. Probably did yourself a favor.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    It was 80% machina stuff, and the crowd just looked at each other in a daze like "WTF is this crap" James Iha even sang/did a brief cover of Rammstein's "Du hast" for some odd reason.
    I was there (Barrie, Ontario). Long, hot day. Billy had an opportunity to own the night and instead opted for a 14-minute rendition of "Glass And The Ghost Children" to open the set. It was all downhill from there. An Ode To No One was played at approximately 236 BPM. Bullet was downright patronizing. And tunes like If There Is A God, Hey Kids Rock/Roll, and Heavy Metal Machine just sucked the energy out of the place. I'll never forget Billy ad-libbing a portion of Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) to embarrassing effect. "And you may ask yourself, who is this GUY standing before you". People filtered out and talked about how great APC/OLP/Foo were and how the Pumpkins were putting themselves out of their misery.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Reading the Mega review of the recent Smashing Pumpkins show from @Shadaloo in the Pumpkins thread reminded me of that show in 2000.

I witnessed one of those "farewell" shows in 2000, and let me tell you... it was TERRIBLE.
    The show I saw them at, they were headlining a festival called "Summersault"
    You could tell that Billy and friends were already "done" with the band. They were sloppy. They played songs nobody liked or cared about, at a festival mind you!

The "popular" songs they did play, were all warped and unrecognizable. Slow songs were sped up, fast songs were slowed down. Odd solos were thrown into placed that solos were not supposed to be. The whole experience just seemed like a big "FUCK YOU" to fans that came out to see them on their final run. You can tell Billy didn't want to go out with a bang using the typical "hits" that made the band popular. He wanted to do things his way, with this obscure setlist that nobody cared about.

Honestly, @Shadaloo don't feel bad for missing out on that tour. You did the right thing by waiting this long to see the band play. Probably did yourself a favor.

I knew quite a few people at the time that went who said the exact same thing. The recording's up here at archive.org, but I've never been able to get myself to listen to it because I've always felt it would sting. I should now though. At the time I actually hated Machina, as did a lot of people, so I probably would have come away bitter as the band was. They were all fed up by that point.

Although the Bercy show from that same tour is actually one of my favorite boots, actually - IMO that's the best version of Stand Inside Your Love ever. At least, my favorite.

My personal worst show of all-time was Marilyn Manson, 2016. I didn't even want to go. I'm just gonna copy paste this from a discussion I had about him on Netpho:

I told my girlfriend he wasn't worth attending anymore but she'd never seen him and really wanted to go so I took the chance. Setlist was 10 or 12 songs, he slurred his way through four before disappearing backstage for ten minutes while the whole darkened arena started booing and chanting for Slipknot to come out. He showed back up, did Sweet Dreams, let the crowd Karaoke Beautiful People and fucked off. 8 songs total. Slipknot blew him away.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    when my mom and i saw Cat Power the first time, i think she was touring on The Greatest. it was at Park West in chicago, which is arguably the nicest venue here (though very, very small). it's where i've seen king crimson & steven wilson a couple times each, if that gives you an idea of the shows that are normally there.

anyway, the guy who opened for her was HORRIBLE, and then spent literally the entire time during her set TALKING LOUDLY two tables away from me. it was such a fucking dick move.

also, Chan was still in her intoxicated/stage fright mode, so she stopped at started quite a few songs. but when she followed through, she was great, i just had trouble hearing her over the asshole opener (ha) blabbing.

when we saw her again a couple years later and she was touring on Jukebox with a whole band behind her, she was fucking phenomenal, like her inner front-woman had awoken when she had her baby earlier that year. it was almost like an entirely different person was up on stage. one of the best shows i've ever seen.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yup, as noted, I accidentally saw Candlebox during that Metallica/AIC tour, as well, in Carson, CA. Oh well, at least Metallica was good. I also had similar SP experience as with the OP, but, at a festival around 2010. Corgan had a mini-tantrum because the crowd wasn't "into it."

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson appear a lot in this thread, interesting...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Peter Murphy. The man was amazing, but there was a last-minute replacement drummer who kept fucking up on every song. Peter had to stand by the drum set point out which drum to hit at which time. Flat Field was the worst. You could tell that they were doing the best they could, and I felt really bad for the drummer because he was obviously out of his element, but god damn it was annoying.

Seeing Stigmata Martyr live made up for it though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @october_midnight
    This NEVER gets old for me, both his performance and the audience reaction:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-10-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Worst concert for me was Ladytron in 2008.

I saw Ladytron open for NIN in 2007 and I was pleasantly surprised by them. I hadn’t known them before, but that concert made me go and buy some of their CDs.

So, when they returned to Switzerland a year later for a headline show, we went to see them.

Turns out they took the stage super late. Can’t remember they delay, but it was long enough that some people were already concerned if they could make it back home with public transportation.
    And when they finally took the stage, the sound was abominably bad. Bass overpowered literally everything. People were standing there in disbelief about how bad it sounded.

Some people in the audience went up to the soundguy (Ladytron’s soundguy) to let him know about the sound issues. But he just aggressively let them know to go away.

Topping things off, the band appeared super uninterested in playing a decent show.

Needless to say, we left after just a few songs, it was that bad.

Really made me not want to listen to them anymore.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    ^^ they are extremely, EXTREMELY dull live.