Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: shoegaze/dreampop

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've always had kind of a love/hate relationship with Loveless. I feel like it's kind of overrated but at the same time, I can see why people like it so much and I can certainly appreciate how unique it is. I like the opening and closing tracks a lot and there are a couple of other ones that I find pleasant.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Does this count? I like the new record.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Beach House are pretty dream-pop, yeah. I've only heard their debut. Really need to check their other releases sometime.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What about Chairlift? Not always, but certainly here.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I for one am stoked for the MBV reissues, though reading through that interview, I didn't see much of anything that resonated as a good reason for material not being released since. Then again I've heard horror stories of how they basically imploded throughout the sessions for Loveless. I also think it's strange that these reissues and a possible new album are coming out nearly four years since they started doing shows again.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    the MBV reissues are GREAT, at first glance. the remastering is solid without getting too loud/losing the dynamics like many modern remasterings.

in other news, my favorite modern shoegaze band, if i had to pick:

mostly because it incorporates all the shoegaze touchstones and throws in a lot of great new order/synthpop sort of things. my two favorite genres rolled into one.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Yes. The MBV remasters sound excellent. It's funny that Loveless is a 2 Disc version with a Digital and an Analog Tape transfer. The differences are very subtle (didn't listen very carefully, though). I read in an article that it's proof of Shields' constant perfectionism!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)

Arrow

Except they switched Disc 1 & Disc 2 by mistake! The EPs compilation is great though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Except they switched Disc 1 & Disc 2 by mistake! The EPs compilation is great though.
    Yeah. roofles on that. Some data: http://thepowerofindependenttrucking...remasters.html

A Cranes question. It would appear that 'Forever' is their most popular album. At least on sites like last.fm, etc. However, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forever_(Cranes_album) reads "It is often cited by fans as the band's worst album, and together with the Loved album, marks the bottom of the band's popularity". Is this a troll?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    A Cranes question. It would appear that 'Forever' is their most popular album. At least on sites like last.fm, etc. However, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forever_(Cranes_album) reads "It is often cited by fans as the band's worst album, and together with the Loved album, marks the bottom of the band's popularity". Is this a troll?
    Definitely a troll. Population 4 is probably the "black sheep" of the band's catalogue. Loved, Forever and Wings of Joy are commonly seen as their creative peak (although I'd personally add Self-Non-Self and Future Songs to that list).

I'll freely admit my Cranes fanboyism on the matter though :P

Edit: Just gonna leave this here... http://thequietus.com/articles/08742...tine-new-album

This too... http://thequietus.com/articles/08745...oody-valentine
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 05-23-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Last edited by Jinsai; 05-23-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Also, I want to throw some later Unwound into this thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Adore Unwound, and come to think of it, Leaves Turn Inside You does have a bit of a shoegaze feel to it.

I'd go crazy with posting all my favourite Unwound stuff (mostly from Repetition and Fake Train), but it might fall a little too far outside the scope of the thread.

As for Ride, well I've already posted this track in the Favourite Songs thread but I love it so much I just have to drop it again:

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This is an awesome dreampop album:

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    picking through the dreampop obscurities today:

& still ashrae fax and con dolore forever.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^ Thanks to that post I added another 100 or so tracks to my already massive to-listen-to list. I've heard a bit from Malory, Bethany Curve and Airiel and know of LSD... but the others are all unknown quantities (for now).

Content:

One of the best recent discoveries I've made. Captured Tracks (<3333) recently released a compilation of their material called Maps for Sleep and it's absolutely fantastic. Wish I could find a video of my favourite track ("Oval"), because it's a gem among gems.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    MAJOR blind mr. jones kick today:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I passed on Blind Mr. Jones for so long and only recently got around to listening Stereo Musicale. "Small Caravan", "Henna and Swayed" and "Going on Cold" are legit classics.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, have no idea why i thought these guys were irrelevant cloner shoegaze kids, but they're my new favorite. also loving that half church reissue, A LOT. it's almost shoegaze season so i'm getting a head start- djed two screen vinyl image shows as well, broke out stuff i haven't listened to in ages.

as far as new bands are concerned, i was recently turned on to pink playground and they're really doing it for me.

http://pinkplayground.bandcamp.com/

and the new tamaryn album is going to be a stunner:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    i saw the name of this thread and it makes me want to start a beard-metal thread

also, that above song isnt too bad, ive never heard of that band

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A friend hooked me on The Radio Dept. and now I've pretty much gone through half of their discography...it's pretty great dreampop stuff.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ok i never saw this coming, WOW so sudden but that's fucking awesome, i cant wait to hear this. I bet there is loads of good stuff on there.
    reckon it will be heavier much more noise orientated and louder than Loveless judging from Kevin's work with Primal Scream and other acts. Less avant garde. Probably much more electronic based. Actually i have no idea. But i honestly never thought this was going to come out. Thought they had given up and scrapped it. Now its out in a matter of weeks. Unbelievable.
    Im more of a fan of Isnt Anything and their heavier stuff, so im not even going to compare it to Loveless as i dont think its their best recording.
    Whenever Obama gets elected a long awaited much anticipated record follows immediately after. GNR Chinese Democracy in 08, now this! Spoooky!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hate to be cynical, but Shields has cried wolf so many times. I wish Pitchfork, et. al would just stop giving him press until he actually coughs up something of consequence. I'll bet anyone five bucks that he'll have destroyed the masters by Christmas.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    All the information is coming from an NME article coming out next week. I guess I'll believe it when the sound is going into my ears.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'd be sceptical, but he hasn't given himself much time to wuss out. It may just happen this time!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i too am skeptical and have realistic expectations. after such a long wait and so many misfires in the studio, i bet there's a lot of pressure on this follow up, so hopefully it deserves to lick the boots of the previous LPs.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I remain cautiously optimistic. The band did follow through with the reunion tour, and the Loveless remasters (and EPs) did eventually come out.

Besides, if he's saying it's going to come out by the end of the year, that would mean they've already put a lot of work into it... right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    I don't remember who, but someone on the old board introduced me to Slowdive's Primal a few years back. A thousand blessing to whoever you were.
    So over the past year I've come to the conclusion that Slowdive were the best band ever.