Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: shoegaze/dreampop

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    So over the past year I've come to the conclusion that Slowdive were the best band ever.
    Agreed. Also, I remember fawning over "Primal" (probably my all-time favourite song) a lot on the previous forum so I could be the abovementioned poster. I love that song and Slowdive in general to an unhealthy degree.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)

These guys are pretty good. I'm digging on Oshin a lot right now.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It took me ages and ages to get into Slowdive, years, hated them when they were around, was more into heavier stuff like SwerveDriver, also Ride and Chapterhouse, Adorable etc, who now in my eyes pale in comparison to Slowdive really really love them now, couldn't figure them out at first, have to chill out and unwind to listen to them, their music seems to me to be so profoundly sad, a lot of their tracks seem to be about being lost and about giving up, and resigning to things, finding solace from the outside world in a gentle little cocoon, singer's sound so fragile, its like their magic is buried really deep but once you find it you become fucking hooked, its beautiful but just get this real sadness when hearing most of their material i listen to Closer by Joy Division because i want to feel darkness, i listen to Nick Drake and Slowdive because i want to hear Melancholy tracks like Crazy For You, So Tired, Trellasaze, Golden Hair,Machine Gun are gorgeous. .

I always really liked this band from L.A who were on Creation...Medicine they did a track for The Crow with the Cocteau Twins, but i like this track the best.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    medicine were a great band. vastly underrated. but the best of the noisier tip of the genre, for my money's worth. those new vinyl reissues of the album are tasty! 'aruca' slays and always will.

have i mentioned swallow in here before? because their album on 4ad might just be one of the most undersung records of the genre AND on the label.

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 10-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'm just now getting interested in Slowdive thanks to recent posts in this thread. I've known of them for a long time, but only now did I decide to take a serious listen to their material. Earlier this year I tried to get into Medicine as well, who I already tried to get into about 15 years ago. Musically, there's some really cool stuff going on there and I think Brad Laner is the king of swirly guitar sounds, but sometimes Beth's vocal style gets on my nerves. Still have a major soft spot for "Time Baby III", though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Need the new MBV ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so happy I just came upon this thread. Been loving Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine for a while and now I have more bands to check out.

There's a band out of Modesto called Solar Powered People that you folks might enjoy as well.

Last edited by DNUmbra; 12-05-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Details

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So I guess you guys remember that shoegaze documentary (called "Beautiful Noise") from several years ago that TR was interviewed for? It's essentially finished but has one more hurdle of financing and there's a Kickstarter campaign with roughly a week left. Just thought I would mention it to try and give Eric Green and co. an extra boost if anyone is interested in donating. If the campaign keeps its current pace, it may very well become reality.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ic-documentary

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Damn, now I'm obsessed with Medicine. Thanks, ETS! You're beautiful.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    from the My Bloody Valentine facebook page (about an hour ago):

"On 21-12-12 we finished mastering the new album!"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Why have I never heard of Wild Nothing? Holy fuckin' shit.

@frankieteardrop Thoughts?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    honestly, they're just all right in my book. i checked both albums out this summer and at first, i was all for it as a nice seasonal reprieve... but as the albums went on, i realized there just wasn't much depth to it, that it was just genre worship without any real substance or great songwriting. so, they're not bad, but if you want something with more to it, try the wake (the factory records wake, not the shitty sisters of mercy clone from the US)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    as far as captured tracks go, you can usually trace back the label's original artists as clones of the stuff they reissue (with the exception of soft moon, which blow every current band on the label out of the water).

and while i'm making note here, the wake (factory) were pretty much a more lush/dreamy version of new order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wut...

how is there no mention of Starflyer 59 in this thread??

They range from gritty, wall-of-guitars:

To the pop side of things:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    An awesome lost track and a John Peel favorite from 1991. It sounds like it influenced Jesus and Mary Chain's Honeys Dead and a little bit like Curve and Cabaret Voltaire. Slight industrial sound.

Another great lost tune from 1989 that is one of my favourites.

Perfection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i've been listening to the California Wives record on repeat for a while. i know it's kinda dreampop by the numbers but it's damn catchy.

Last edited by konstantin; 12-31-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    @konstantin : Not bad. Will have to check out the rest of the album. @Highly Psychological : Awesome shit. Thanks!

I've been listening to a ton of semi-obscure 90s US indie rock stuff with shoegazey leanings of late. Really into this sound at the moment.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    An awesome lost track and a John Peel favorite from 1991. It sounds like it influenced Jesus and Mary Chain's Honeys Dead and a little bit like Curve and Cabaret Voltaire. Slight industrial sound.

Another great lost tune from 1989 that is one of my favourites.

really loved both of these! checked out a full album by 70 gwen party and didn't get any shoegaze vibes from it all outside of the occasional madchester beat, but you are SPOT ON with the cabaret voltaire reference, and either way, they're great! dub sex have a loop meets wire thing going on, and that's really doing it for me, too.

@xmd 5a , i like that seam song as well!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    i've been listening to the California Wives record on repeat for a while. i know it's kinda dreampop by the numbers but it's damn catchy.

This is terrific. As for the few times we've mentioned things being 'by the numbers' etc. etc., maybe it's just me but for dreampop and shoegaze kinda stuff, it seriously never bothers me. Sure there are probably a bazillion bands that are ripping off MBV or Slowdive or The Jesus and Mary Chain, but for me anyways, I love it all lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not reeeaaally dreampop, but I got turned on to this group and I really dig it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, on top of having one of the most amazing bodies of released work ever, Slowdive had a fuckton of awesome demos/unreleased tracks. Definitely enough for 1 or 2 more perfect albums. I recently redownloaded I Saw the Sun and Pygmalion Demos after my music harddrive died 18 months ago. Can't stop listening to this stuff...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend

I came across this album on iTunes and I've been hooked, here's one of the songs off this record

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, so no discussion of the new My Bloody Valentine album on these forums aside from the "it's mastered" comment? I'm shocked. Everywhere else on the internet exploded about it. Anyway I think it's pretty good. Not Loveless good, but damn good (except for the second to last track which goes nowhere). Just enough of the old style and some new experimentation.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    There's a separate My Bloody Valentine thread here:
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...oody-Valentine
    Last edited by piggy; 02-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh thanks, I actually went looking for one but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    No problem. The thread did kind of slip through the cracks a bit after the initial new album hysteria died down.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post

These guys are pretty good. I'm digging on Oshin a lot right now.
    I don't want to say "I told you so" but I bet you'll check them out now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Song structures are loose and vocals thin on the ground - it's probably more an ambient record, in other words - but this will tickle the same part of your brain as most dreampop does: http://www.rdio.com/artist/The_Glimm...lbum/I_Remain/