Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Gary Numan

Numan thread - discussing the many works, images, and merch of Gary Numan. Most recently, Dead Son Rising and the forthcoming Splinter. There is also a December tour for Dead Son Rising.

+ Numan eBay items posted to his official eBay account. Items so far sold include The Fall white label vinyl (w/signed and handwritten lyric sheet) as well as a white label Dead Son Rising vinyl album (w/signed and handwritten lyric sheet). Links soon.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 11-23-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It seems that Gary picked up the "Legend" Award from ARTROCKER. The awards show is scheduled to be on Dec. 2nd at XOYO in London from 8pm to 3am. Advance tickets are available for 15 Pounds from Ticketweb, Seetickets or XOYO. Gary Numan and Ade Fenton will do a DJ set as well as have such guests as Gruff Rhys and Jim Jones Revue. It should be pretty great!

As stated here are the links to the official Numan eBay items.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/numanoffic...id=p4340.l2562

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    New gigs coming up in December for the second half of the Dead Son Rising tour (one gig is to be filmed for future DVD release).

Meet and greet packages are coming with a limited-to-60-copies promo CD featuring an early demo version of "Everything Comes Down To This" from Splinter.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Meet and greet packages are coming with a limited-to-60-copies promo CD featuring an early demo version of "Everything Comes Down To This" from Splinter.
    I would buy one of those packages up right now if I had the spare cash to go to one of the December shows.

I remember somewhere Gary said he would be touring the US pretty soon (2012 - sometime). But I haven't heard any of the particulars yet.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yeah, he plans on touring extensively with DSR/Splinter in 2012; places he hasn't been before. He's really on the top of his game right now!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "I shall call him... Mini DSR."

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've never really listened to Numan's work. But today I decided to listen to Dead Son Rising on Grooveshark, and I'm actually REALLY liking this album. Only half way through it at the moment, but I've liked each song to far. Might have to buy this album!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Dead Son Rising is great; I'm looking forward to the next tour when he comes back to Canada. It's been 5 years since I made it to a show of his in Toronto... very sadly couldn't make it to the Pleasure Principle gig featuring his reunion with our boy Nash the Slash!

All that said, I really wish he would sell lossless downloads online... there's so much stuff I can't find on CD for anywhere near a reasonable price that I'd love to have.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.the-fly.co.uk/feature/int...55/gary-numan/

Well, much as I love it, there’s a limit to how long I can run around on stage trying to look aggressive and menacing without looking like a funny little old man. A natural transition for me would be to move into film music, and it would help to be in Hollywood.

And Trent Reznor is helping out, by vouching for your visa application?
    Yeah! Not bad, eh. I was really grateful to him for doing that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    http://www.the-fly.co.uk/feature/int...55/gary-numan/

Well, much as I love it, there’s a limit to how long I can run around on stage trying to look aggressive and menacing without looking like a funny little old man. A natural transition for me would be to move into film music, and it would help to be in Hollywood.

And Trent Reznor is helping out, by vouching for your visa application?
    Yeah! Not bad, eh. I was really grateful to him for doing that.
    That's a great interview, thanks for posting that one Ryan. I think it's pretty great Trent is helping him out like that.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Second half of the DSR tour in a few days!

Looking forward to someone uploading the early version of Everything Comes Down To This from the promo CD.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Also, kinda cool how track 15 for TGWTDT soundtrack has almost the same title as the upcoming Numan album, if you take off the "The" -

http://www.nullco.com/GDT/track-list-digital.html

HURRY UP SPLINTER! :-)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Gary Numan 'The Fall Remixes' test pressing - Strictly limited and very rare!
    Signed and handwritten lyric sheet by Gary Numan

Take a look at this beauty: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306501021...84.m1555.l2649

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yes they've been auctioning several of those off, as well as DSR test pressings with the title track hand written. Here's Gary's response to critics:

http://www.numan.co.uk/q-a/

Why are you selling white labels on eBay? Some people think it’s greedy!

Greedy? I think what everyone needs to remember is that I am a professional musician. I earn my money by selling music, either on CD, DVD or by performance, and by many associated means, such as t-shirts and so on. To sell something, either in a shop or on eBay, is what I’ve always done. I thought the white labels auction would be welcomed by fans as an opportunity to get hold of something extremely rare and unusual. Why does that make me greedy when selling a ticket or a CD does not?
    When we make a vinyl album we always make a small number of white label test pressings. These are sent out to different people and they are tested on various systems to make sure the pressing is good quality. With the first DSR pressing we found it was not good quality, but you already know about that as it caused the Super Deluxe to be delayed. But, the point is, these test pressings are a very real part of the process of producing vinyl, not something knocked up to make a few quid out of fans. However, when the testing is done, they sit in a box somewhere, or in someone’s cupboard, going to waste, never to be used or seen again. One or two may find their way onto e-bay or other places, but generally they are gone forever.
    We thought people would like to have them. When I was a kid the thought of having a T-Rex white label would have made me faint with joy so I do believe that fans will want them. But, we can’t give them away. Whoever we gave them to would be happy but many others who didn’t get one would be angry and no doubt write in with even more vitriolic spite than usual. So, we make them available, with a very low starting price, and let the fans decide what they are willing to pay. Nothing could be fairer. I don’t understand where the ‘greed’ feelings come from. We are offering something very rare, and asking you to reach your own price for it. If you don’t want it, don’t bid for it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing!

Also, get your Dead Son going + hand written "Rest of My Life" lyric sheet: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gary-Numan...#ht_500wt_1204

Did I also mention the "Dead Sun Rising" version:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gary-Numan...#ht_500wt_1204
    Last edited by REPLICA; 12-03-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: adding links

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    They played a video with Gary Numan on Beavis and Butt-Head the other day. Prolly first cool video they've played this season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    They played a video with Gary Numan on Beavis and Butt-Head the other day. Prolly first cool video they've played this season.
    I need to look in to watching that clip!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I think it was the Battles collaboration, My Machines.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That's the one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    What are some good Gary Numan albums to check out outside of Replicas and The Pleasure Principle?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What are some good Gary Numan albums to check out outside of Replicas and The Pleasure Principle?
    Depends on the sound/direction you want.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sacrifice, Exile, Pure, Hybrid (darker reworkings of old and new songs), Jagged, Jagged Edge, Dead Son Rising, and then Splinter when it comes out.

If you want a mixed bag of utter shit and amazingly good occasional songs and b-sides, listen to anything from after "Dance" to "Machine + Soul".

Everything post-1994 is industrial, dark and awesome.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Dead Son Rising appears to have a US in-store date of tomorrow (12/6) if you're still into the plastic-discs kinda thing.
    also, Hybrid is still awesome. Showed up in the car playlist yesterday by accident. Now it's at the top of the playlist on purpose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hybrid was my first album. Not a weak song on that one, and you get a chance to hear a lot of oldies (though in different forms from the originals). As for his actual records, I tend to think Jagged is pretty much the best thing he's done post 1994.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I, Assassin and Warriors are pretty good for early works past TPP & Telekon.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That should be a great dvd, I have been waiting to see a good quality live version of For The Rest of My Life + with Noise Noise right after, that should be a treat. I hope there is also a two disc live cd accompanying this release - like The Pleasure Principle Live.

I too am waiting for Everything Comes Down To This to hit online. I wonder what those promo cds look like?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I too am waiting for Everything Comes Down To This to hit online. I wonder what those promo cds look like?