Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Great, great. Play Boston ONE DAY after I leave for tour. Asshole.

(jk love you Gary!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a vinyl copy of Savage? I would like to have a lossless version of Cold if anyone ripped it (which is impossible to find on the net). Will be very grateful for a PM with the link

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper A.D. View Post
    Does anyone have a vinyl copy of Savage? I would like to have a lossless version of Cold if anyone ripped it (which is impossible to find on the net). Will be very grateful for a PM with the link
    If you buy the vinyl the download code includes Cold in mp3. I never ripped the vinyl because of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I have an MP3 version but would still prefer a lossless one

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Gary and Gemma popped over for tea with Toyah and Robert Fripp and I'm a little bit giddy about it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hello. Gary Numan show tonight at HOB Cleveland cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. NO OFFICIAL word yet. Downtown near HOB a tour bus was involved in an accident near HOB about 2 hours ago. An elderly man was hit and killed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Gary Numan/Tubeway Army

on a NIN forum with everything Gary means to Trent, and there's no Numan thread? Lets have some respect for the king....His new (2017) album Savage ranks right up there with his early stuff....The guy is still putting out top notch material....Clearly the stuff he did from 1978 to the early 80s is classic and much like with Bowie, you skip a decade through all the shitbomb sellout pop mid 80s through early 90s albums albums and get right to the mid 90s....Starting with Sacrifice in 94, every album he has put out has been good to great. Dude is still at the top of his game. Clearly Trent gets a major assist because NIN is an obvious influence on the post 94 stuff...Ironic how Gary influenced Trent and then TR influenced Gary....and Tubeway Army is still fucking legendary
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 10-09-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just booked to see Gary Numan play with the Skaparis Orchestra in Cardiff. Looking forward to it

https://garynuman.com/orchestral-shows-ticket-update/
    heading off to see this in a few hours, going on my own as my usual gig partner in Cardiff is on holiday. Still can’t wait though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    heading off to see this in a few hours, going on my own as my usual gig partner in Cardiff is on holiday. Still can’t wait though
    I look forward to hearing about it, was still toying with the idea of going over the weekend...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    new EP is fucking sick

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I look forward to hearing about it, was still toying with the idea of going over the weekend...
    I really enjoyed it, although I couldn’t tell that the orchestra added massively to the sound, textures here and there and some new intros (which were partially drowned out by morons behind me chanting Nuuuman at any quiet bit). It was heavy on new stuff with about 5 or 6 oldies sprinkled in. Worth it for me as I got a completely unsullied view after having seen them at the Tramshed last year where I was right at the back, couldn’t see a thing. So I got to see Gary Numan’s modern interpretive dance routines, ha ha! They performed a new single which sounds good and I haven’t even heard about a new EP???

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    New EP?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    New EP?
    https://garynuman.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=39763

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Ah ok. That came up part of savage extended , that’s why I wasn’t popping up as a separate thing on my streaming service.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed it, although I couldn’t tell that the orchestra added massively to the sound, textures here and there and some new intros (which were partially drowned out by morons behind me chanting Nuuuman at any quiet bit). It was heavy on new stuff with about 5 or 6 oldies sprinkled in. Worth it for me as I got a completely unsullied view after having seen them at the Tramshed last year where I was right at the back, couldn’t see a thing. So I got to see Gary Numan’s modern interpretive dance routines, ha ha! They performed a new single which sounds good and I haven’t even heard about a new EP???
    Bit of a shame the orchestra didn't add more - been watching the Alter Bridge at The Royal Albert Hall Blu Ray - that's how to do it! Glad you enjoyed it though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    the orchestra show hits my home town tonight but alas, I can't make it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Was listening to The Plan the other day again. Punk rock Gary needs to get more love

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. FCUK.

Of course I know the name "Gary Numan", I do know he made some probably important album "Cars" decades ago :-), I like NIN "Metal", didn't like the recent live version on NIN channel very much, generally I don't look out for someone "new" to add to my list of approved artists :-) (the last one to make it was Steven Wilson before Hand.Cannot.Erase.) and don't trust recommendations anymore, but yesterday I tried innocent link in depechemode.cz comments and it was "My name is Ruin" - and my jaw dropped. WHAT? Then "The end of things" and it was done deal. I just listened to the whole Savage and Fallen EP (loud speakers, dark outside, just the fireplace burning) and I can't remember the last time I was this hypnotised by new music (maybe The Background World, but I know NIN), it's fucking amazing, where do I live with what people that noone mentioned this, it's great, I had no idea it could be this good! WOW. And he's only 60 (wow), so I'm here right from the start! :-) Some random memories from listening: Dead Can Dance, Alan Wilder remixing Nitzer Ebb, Blade Runner... can't remember, too overflown with the music. There's certain similar vibe to the tracks, but it's not all the same, and I was surprised it ends already. And it is loud but at least with this setup it worked beautifuly. And Gary signs much better than I thought he can. Got the get some t-shirt or something to let the world know! Mega.

Fun detail: when I enter "recently added" on my DLNA server, there is also "The START of things" from mid90s. :-)

Update:
    "Am I awake or lost in old dreams?"
    "Can any part of this be real?"
    Perfect, will also pay more attention to the lyrics once I'm capable of not be blown away so much. Also, from some comments here it seems like I'm better off with not knowing previous work, all is completely new to me. :-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 11-26-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Was listening to The Plan the other day again. Punk rock Gary needs to get more love

Ooh never knew about this comp, thanks for the rec! Early Numan is best Numan.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    A few days later, I'm still in awe of/from Savage/The Fallen, listening each day, random parts popping in my head all the time... and there's not a single weak song in there. It speaks to me so strongly, maybe the right time, place, emotional state, but for example I can't go through If We Had Known without tears in my eyes (can you?). "Can you forgive me in time?"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Ooof, "If We Had Known" is a doozy. Strongly suspect it was inspired by the sudden loss of Wilbur, their English mastiff, a couple of years ago. Very sad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This new ep "the fallen" is blowing me away, in the same way savage blew me away.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Savage Live at Brixton Academy album is also quite fucking epic.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    This new ep "the fallen" is blowing me away, in the same way savage blew me away.
    It is amazing, and “If We Had Known” is definitely about their family dog that passed. Everything Gary has been putting out lately has been absolute gold.

My only complaint is that the new live release... well, you can really tell it has been fixed up in the studio with effects added and the vocals improved or re-recorded. I prefer a live release to be bare-bones and raw, mistakes and all included. It feels too polished from the videos I’ve seen posted on the official YT account.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Numanoids whats the best live album to check out? I own every Numan album and EP ever made from 1977-1982, 1994-2018, yet I never bothered to check out the live albums outside of his Peel sessions disc (which is sick)......I know hes got like 50 live albums...Anything tops from the Excile/Pure/Hybrid era?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Scarred is my favourite from that era, it's a show very early in the Pure touring cycle with a few obscurities on the setlist.

He also did DVD/CD recordings for three gigs on the Hybrid tour, Fragment 01, Fragment 02, and Hope Bleeds. All three previewed early versions of songs on Jagged... I think the last one is the best of this lot, as far as production values go, but I still think the Scarred gig has more of that special vibe.

Soft spot in my heart always for the remixed 2CD expanded version of Living Ornaments '79... brilliant early stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My better half caught this on the radio yesterday - Gary talking about his experiences in London, as his home town: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001vdv (around 6 mins, from 2:12). Nice little segment, followed by a new track.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Scarred is my favourite from that era, it's a show very early in the Pure touring cycle with a few obscurities on the setlist.

He also did DVD/CD recordings for three gigs on the Hybrid tour, Fragment 01, Fragment 02, and Hope Bleeds. All three previewed early versions of songs on Jagged... I think the last one is the best of this lot, as far as production values go, but I still think the Scarred gig has more of that special vibe.

Soft spot in my heart always for the remixed 2CD expanded version of Living Ornaments '79... brilliant early stuff.
    personally i think living ornaments 80 is phenomenal. 79 is great, but telekon will always be my fav album and that set is chock full of it.