Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

So, I'm a huge fan of the original Sicario. However, I have to say I was extremely disappointed in the sequel. I'll wait a bit to get into spoiler territory, but, yeah, the last 30 minutes just ruined the movie for me. Talk about suspension of disbelief. TBH, I don't think Sicario called for a sequel, but, I gave it a chance as most of the original cast came back (not to mention the original writer). Since the issue I have is primarily with the script, I don't think the absence of the original director hurt the film. I take it he read the script and decided it was just not good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I’m with ya. Saw it today and while I felt the story was actually pretty solid, it just didn’t have the intensity and gravity of the first.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was really disappointed with the film. It seemed like Taylor Sheridan had a bunch of ideas for a sequel but couldn't decide which one he wanted to focus on, so he just threw them all into the script. The film is all over the place, and while there were some select moments that I found effective, they were few and far between. You can also count me in as one of the people that felt the original didn't need a sequel, but I was curious to see how they continued from it. I definitely don't have any interest in a third film at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Since the issue I have is primarily with the script, I don't think the absence of the original director hurt the film. I take it he read the script and decided it was just not good.
    He was originally attached to the film, but he had to drop out to direct Blade Runner 2049.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It wasn't as bad as some reviews and comments would suggest. First one is still better but it would have been difficult to match that slice of perfection. Ultimately I feel that it's a pretty good movie although a bit unnecessary. I agree that there seem to be a lot of idea thrown into the mix here that do not quite work. I was not a fan of the movie when it dipped into the territory or melodrama. I sunk in my seat somewhat during the Spoiler: You know sign language? but how? part. I was totally caught off guard when Spoiler: Miguel shot and "killed" Alejandro. It shocked and saddened me that this anti hero we were all rooting for met such an undignified end. It reminded me a lot of what happens in No Country For Old Men. As jarring as that part was it made perfect sense that this is what would probably happen to someone living their life as this operative driven by vengeance. It was a grim end for someone who had lost their soul. It was cheap that they let him live. After that reveal it made no sense that Graves would then disobey orders from the govt and put that girl in witness protection?!? Wouldn't Private Joker and Catherine Keener find out and just kill the girl anyhow? And the part at the end made even less sense. Why would Miguel all of the sudden want to somehow join Alejandro? That part was there for no other reason than another sequel possibility.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching it... I liked it. Looking forward to the next part, because that story isn't finished.