Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random General Questions

THIS NEEDS TO EXIST.

Okay, so I drank a mango smoothie the other day, and broke out in a crazy rash, and my whole body still itches three days later. Apparently, mango sap and skin contains urushiol, the same toxin that's contained in poison ivy. As someone who eats fresh and processed mangoes frequently this was a huge shock, as the processing plant for Naked must be run by idiots and assholes who don't care if all the skin gets in there. My question here is- would this be considered an allergic reaction? Wouldn't everyone be affected by this toxin in some way, big or small? I contacted the company and their reply was basically "it's not our fault you had an allergic reaction".

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    THIS NEEDS TO EXIST.

Okay, so I drank a mango smoothie the other day, and broke out in a crazy rash, and my whole body still itches three days later. Apparently, mango sap and skin contains urushiol, the same toxin that's contained in poison ivy. As someone who eats fresh and processed mangoes frequently this was a huge shock, as the processing plant for Naked must be run by idiots and assholes who don't care if all the skin gets in there. My question here is- would this be considered an allergic reaction? Wouldn't everyone be affected by this toxin in some way, big or small? I contacted the company and their reply was basically "it's not our fault you had an allergic reaction".
    You had an allergic reaction. I have a friend who had a mango tree outside her door. We'd pick mangoes, cut them up, marinate them in red wine. Oh delicious. Then she started breaking out in a rash. Derm said she was allergic to the skin. Odd that it just started happening after having this tree and this delicious recipe for several years before she went allergic.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    It's an allergic reaction. It probably doesn't affect everyone, just like most other allergens.

I have the same deal with bananas and avacadoes, though not as extreme. When I eat either one, my mouth gets retardedly itchy. it sucks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So if it's considered an allergic reaction, would any reaction to toxins be considered an allergy? I always considered allergies to be your body's peculiar/individual adverse reactions to substances that aren't considered poisonous. As in: I'm allergic individually to enoki mushrooms, but everyone is affected by bleach, a toxin.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So if it's considered an allergic reaction, would any reaction to toxins be considered an allergy? I always considered allergies to be your body's peculiar/individual adverse reactions to substances that aren't considered poisonous. As in: I'm allergic individually to enoki mushrooms, but everyone is affected by bleach, a toxin.
    Sublimaze should probably answer, but my thinking is, I've eaten tons of mangoes, handled all sorts of them, and at times ate a little bit of the skin by mistake, and nothing happened to me, so I think yours would be an allergic reaction, since I did not get any reaction to mango skin.

p.s. glad you started this thread.

Oh, and since this is random questions, who were you on the old board? Your posts seem familiar!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Oh, and since this is random questions, who were you on the old board? Your posts seem familiar!
    I was Inky- who were YOU!

Okay, if your dishwasher rack is super rusty, will it get rust on your dishes? (I just moved)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never been effected by poison ivy and I'm 95% sure that I've encountered it before. The way you put it sounds right, that a toxin affects everyone and allergens don't, but are you sure that urushiol considered a toxin?

Okay, if your dishwasher rack is super rusty, will it get rust on your dishes? (I just moved)
    That seems like a strong possibility. At least where the dishes are touching the rack.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 12-21-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Æffect sucks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I was Inky- who were YOU!
    Oh! The avatar with the bearded guy with girl's pigtails!

I was JaneNY for a while, but I changed my name while on the old board.

Another - who was NotoriousTIMP before?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He was the same on old ETS, but had changed from trentisinmypants. I used to think he was a girl in the early days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    I've never been effected by poison ivy and I'm 95% sure that I've encountered it before. The way you put it sounds right, that a toxin affects everyone and allergens don't, but are you sure that urushiol considered a toxin?
    Okay, so when I searched for urushiol on various websites, it was referred to as a toxin. But, when you look up info on poison ivy, it refers to it as an allergen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    ... a poisonous North American plant that is well known for its production of urushiol, a clear liquid compound found within the sap of the plant that causes an itching rash in most people who touch it... Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic reaction.
    So really, people need to get this toxin/allergen difference sorted out.

And if you have brushed against/touched poison ivy you don't necessarily come into contact with the urushiol because it's in the sap, not always on the leaf surface. I am pretty sure I touched it a few times at summer camp, with no effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would it be cheaper to keep the (gas) heater on all the time, and just turn the heat down at night, or keep it off until we really need it (and have it work a lot harder to get up to the heat we like)?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Anybody know a vet who would tell me what type/how much antibiotic to give to cats with kennel cough? My vets treated one of the cats for it before, but they're all passing it around apparently, and the vets won't prescribe without seeing all the cats -- minimum $65 office visit each. Can't afford that.

Edit: I should say that the vet previously prescribed an antibiotic that's only for animals, so I can't just go get that. I can get generic stuff like amoxicillin, clindamycin, ciprofloxacin.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 01-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Need some good running/exercise music with a high bpm to motivate me. Recommendations?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I asked that once and someone told me Daft Punk, i never ended up listening to them though but i figured i'd recommend them since someone out there thought it was a good recommendation!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BipolarMike View Post
    Would it be cheaper to keep the (gas) heater on all the time, and just turn the heat down at night, or keep it off until we really need it (and have it work a lot harder to get up to the heat we like)?
    From my experience, turning it down when you don't need it works better. It depends on the system you have, but at my last house, for example, it would turn on all the time even when it couldn't help (same with my A/C there). It was such a bad furnace it couldn't get over 63°F, and yet when it was at that temp it would systematically turn on and turn off a minute later, which is a bigger waste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukey View Post
    Need some good running/exercise music with a high bpm to motivate me. Recommendations?
    If I need to train hard, it's Dillinger Escape Plan every time. Best album, Miss Machine

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What makes ETS the best forum on the web for you?

For me it's because it's kind of a catch-all for everything, not only NIN-related. Also the fact that the fans here are on the same wavelength as Trent himself (i.e. intelligent, always on the ball, reliable, on top of current events and all the rest). It's like you can't come on here and not find an answer for something. Probably one of the best communities ever to exist really. I always come here first for pretty much everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What makes ETS the best forum on the web for you?

For me it's because it's kind of a catch-all for everything, not only NIN-related. Also the fact that the fans here are on the same wavelength as Trent himself (i.e. intelligent, always on the ball, reliable, on top of current events and all the rest). It's like you can't come on here and not find an answer for something. Probably one of the best communities ever to exist really. I always come here first for pretty much everything.
    Gosh, Ryan, I really do hope you forgive me for making a completely useless and insulting thread. I wouldn't want to upset you.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Huh?
    ten characters

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukey View Post
    Newer Ministry. There's songs with bpm's of like 800. Good to really punish your ass on a treadmill!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Anybody know a vet who would tell me what type/how much antibiotic to give to cats with kennel cough? My vets treated one of the cats for it before, but they're all passing it around apparently, and the vets won't prescribe without seeing all the cats -- minimum $65 office visit each. Can't afford that.

Edit: I should say that the vet previously prescribed an antibiotic that's only for animals, so I can't just go get that. I can get generic stuff like amoxicillin, clindamycin, ciprofloxacin.
    Ive never encountered a cat with kennel cough but it can happen. its a bacterial infection and is best treated with doxycycline in dogs, doxy is safe for use in cats but not often used. with kennel cough all pets in the household must be treated at the same time anywhere from 10-30 days depending on the severity of infection. Disinfecting the living areas may help too since its a pretty hardy bacteria that can live outside the body for quite some time. My best advice would be to take them to a vet, just because it was kennel cough in the past it may not be the same thing this time. Hope your kitties feel better soon!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Edit: Helped, thanks!
    Last edited by Jon; 01-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    You know when a woman says that she can feel a man's eyes on her body? How exactly does that feel? Is it just this "spider sense is tingling" type of thing? Can a woman "feel" the specific location of her body a man is looking at?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    You know when a woman says that she can feel a man's eyes on her body? How exactly does that feel? Is it just this "spider sense is tingling" type of thing? Can a woman "feel" the specific location of her body a man is looking at?
    Well, I can't say I can feel only mens eyes, but sometimes when I catch someone looking my way out of the corner of my eye, my skin prickles a little, mostly to do wtih my own nervousness. So if it's someone I like, then it REALLY prickles.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    Well, I can't say I can feel only mens eyes, but sometimes when I catch someone looking my way out of the corner of my eye, my skin prickles a little, mostly to do wtih my own nervousness. So if it's someone I like, then it REALLY prickles.
    More interesting is when you see someone looking at someone you know and then they catch you looking at them. I've done this several times and usually they look guilty because they were either completely oggling someone's boobs (yes, their eyes where there) or totally judging, with their eyes, what the person they were looking at was wearing. I feel like their conscious: "really, do you have to look at people like that?"

Random question: Quicken has always been my husband's personal finance tool, but being on my own, I'm not feeling like I have to stick with that one. Anyone use Quicken or suggest something else? Haven't started any research yet so am looking for just gut opinion.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I have an ebay question.

when I search the bid history it seems that people with the one letter number followed by * seem to try and outbid me.

for example "2*****". are these actually people or are these dupe accounts just to make a bidder pay more?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if they're dupe accounts or not but all bidders have asterisked-out names on eBay to protect privacy on bid histories.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    ah I see. ok. After reading forums, people seem to despise early bidders like myself. Im not trying to screw anyone over, I am just trying to win. I am pretty new to ebay since I never really trusted these types of sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can someone clarify exactly when ets used to have signatures? im trying to work out a timeline on something

edit; it was 5+ years ago, no casuals
    Last edited by sadpanda; 01-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So a couple years ago I caught like, the last 30 seconds of some tv show, or movie (I have no clue) on the Sci Fy channel, and since nowadays when a tv show ends, the credits blaze by in like 2 seconds, or even not at all, I missed what it was. It was animated and black and white and one of the characters was a zombie or skeleton or something. It looked pretty sweet and I've tried googling the most vague ideas trying to figure out what it was. Any ideas?