Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't know what kind of crazy great eyes y'all have, but a tablet as a book substitute? Fuck, I've got a headache just thinking about it. I couldn't read my Fire for more than an hour without issues. I've spent entire weekends where I hardly put my e-ink reader down and never once felt the slightest headache. I get the appeal of a $50 tablet (especially compared to a reader for the same price), but if you're literally buying it with the primary reason of reading books, just be careful with fatigue.
    I fully agree with you on this one!
    I used a Kindle (first one with the keyboard) for years and then was offered a free Kobo that was back-lit. I was worried about the eye-strain (I stare at a computer screen for work all day, I hate trying to read things on the computer at home. But, I must say, back-lit e-readers are amazing!
    I couldn't imagine trying to read a book on a tablet.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't know what kind of crazy great eyes y'all have, but a tablet as a book substitute? Fuck, I've got a headache just thinking about it. I couldn't read my Fire for more than an hour without issues. I've spent entire weekends where I hardly put my e-ink reader down and never once felt the slightest headache. I get the appeal of a $50 tablet (especially compared to a reader for the same price), but if you're literally buying it with the primary reason of reading books, just be careful with fatigue.
    I read on a computer literally 8 hours per day, legal text that would fry most people's brains but it doesn't bother me. I read on my iPhone at night before bed, does nothing to my eyes. It's all what you're used to.

I have a problem requiring more than not enough light when reading, though. It's why I like my Kindle Paperwhite a LOT better than my unlit e-readers; even with a little attached light, that's not enough and can wake up my husband. The Paperwhite is awesome for me in that regard. After this thread, I've gone back to giving my Paperwhite a try, again.

@Warped_Savant , I have a Kindle with the keyboard, too. LOL, they were already starting to build in distractions; I gave it to my mom and she NEVER uses it.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I have a Kindle with the keyboard, too. LOL, they were already starting to build in distractions; I gave it to my mom and she NEVER uses it.
    What do you mean by "distractions," @allegro ? Mine had, I think, Go and a really terrible internet browser. I thought I didn't have a problem reading mine, even in not the best of lighting conditions.... them my mom gave me one of the Kobo's she never used and I realized how much easier it was to read with the back light. (People keep giving mom e-readers for some reason. One day she commented that she had some that she doesn't use, she pulled 4 or 5 out of her drawer. I took a fairy new one, my wife took a mini one as it was better for her on the train to and from work.)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    What do you mean by "distractions," @allegro ? Mine had, I think, Go and a really terrible internet browser. I thought I didn't have a problem reading mine, even in not the best of lighting conditions.... them my mom gave me one of the Kobo's she never used and I realized how much easier it was to read with the back light. (People keep giving mom e-readers for some reason. One day she commented that she had some that she doesn't use, she pulled 4 or 5 out of her drawer. I took a fairy new one, my wife took a mini one as it was better for her on the train to and from work.)
    Distractions, I mean being able to do ANYTHING else except read (like a real book where you can only read and that's it); when Amazon added in a web browser, a keyboard, etc., then it was temptations for distractions.

LOL about Mom and the e-readers. I think they just prefer regular printed books.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-30-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Distractions, I mean being able to do ANYTHING else except read (like a real book where you can only read and that's it); when Amazon added in a web browser, a keyboard, etc., then it was temptations for distractions.

LOL about Mom and the e-readers. I think they just prefer regular printed books.
    Ah, okay. I really hated the browser on the thing so that was never my distraction. Now my problem is not getting distracted by my phone.

And yeah.... she prefers physical books. Dad likes his e-reader, mostly because it's so much easier to get books, partially because of the other distractions, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    Ah, okay. I really hated the browser on the thing so that was never my distraction. Now my problem is not getting distracted by my phone.
    Me, too! And the TV, now I have to put on totally non-distracting music while I'm reading.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Me, too! And the TV, now I have to put on totally non-distracting music while I'm reading.
    Right?!?
    I tend to go for something like Tycho:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    moby recently released a free album called Long Ambients that is SO GOOD for reading (or relaxing, or sleeping). i gave him a few bucks for it because it's like 3 hours of music.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    moby recently released a free album called Long Ambients that is SO GOOD for reading (or relaxing, or sleeping). i gave him a few bucks for it because it's like 3 hours of music.
    Thanks! I tend to listen to stuff like .

Or I listen to this, Chopin's Nocturnes are GREAT for reading:

I really love ambient stuff but I can't read to stuff like that because I will totally nod off, seriously. I have to have something in the background that is conducive to reading plus keeps me awake, not distracting but also not sleep-inducing, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-04-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i like pandora's "music to think by chanel" by, lot of fripp soundscapes, classical,
    -louie

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Thanks! I tend to listen to stuff like .

I really love ambient stuff but I can't read to stuff like that because I will totally nod off, seriously. I have to have something in the background that is conducive to reading plus keeps me awake, not distracting but also not sleep-inducing, if that makes sense.
    rachel grimes (of Rachel's) recently put out two absolutely gorgeous solo albums that i think would be right up your alley. Book Of Leaves and The Clearing. here's her bandcamp.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    OK, so anyone a bit savvy with credit ratings? I set up an account with Experian at my wife's request. I saw that there was a credit account with Citi that I've NEVER known that dates back to 2008/2009. I called Citi, and they had no record of my name with any of their accounts. Dude even checked with their affiliates (Best Buy, etc) and nothing. I then called Experian, and they said that I should check to see if I was listed as an authorized user on any cards. I've NEVER been an authorized user on any Citi product.
    Any thoughts or feedback on next steps?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    OK, so anyone a bit savvy with credit ratings? I set up an account with Experian at my wife's request. I saw that there was a credit account with Citi that I've NEVER known that dates back to 2008/2009. I called Citi, and they had no record of my name with any of their accounts. Dude even checked with their affiliates (Best Buy, etc) and nothing. I then called Experian, and they said that I should check to see if I was listed as an authorized user on any cards. I've NEVER been an authorized user on any Citi product.
    You need to file a (written) dispute with the credit reporting agency, but first you need documentation from Citi that you do not in fact have an account, nor were you on your parents' account while you were a student, etc. Here is a link to how to dispute, and here is a link if all of that doesn't work.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just saw this on the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that I am indeed marodi and that I have insider information regarding all things otter related.
    Haha. It just happens that my wife is having a job interview on monday in one week with an organization dedicated to otter protection. So... any insider tips how to score a job involving otters?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    Just saw this on the other thread:

Haha. It just happens that my wife is having a job interview on monday in one week with an organization dedicated to otter protection. So... any insider tips how to score a job involving otters?
    Well, otters are carnivorous and they spend most of their time looking for food. They have a lot of energy and they are playful but they are also badass; they are related to honey badgers and wolverines, after all.

In parts of the world, sea otters have been placed on the endangered species list because they've been hunted for their fur. River otters often travel far to get food and it's not uncommon that a mama otter will get killed and that her pup is left alone, unprotected.

I suppose that the organization your wife is going to work for (see, I'm very optimistic and I'm sure she'll get the job!) is doing a lot of prevention work like informing the population about what to do if they find and injured otter or a pup (don't keep them as a pet!). And even though they are playful and adorable, stay away from then because: badass.

Here a very nice video of Snoop Dogg talking about otters (and the best of luck to you wife, lucky her!)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well, otters are carnivorous and they spend most of their time looking for food. They have a lot of energy and they are playful but they are also badass; they are related to honey badgers and wolverines, after all.

In parts of the world, sea otters have been placed on the endangered species list because they've been hunted for their fur. River otters often travel far to get food and it's not uncommon that a mama otter will get killed and that her pup is left alone, unprotected.

I suppose that the organization your wife is going to work for (see, I'm very optimistic and I'm sure she'll get the job!) is doing a lot of prevention work like informing the population about what to do if they find and injured otter or a pup (don't keep them as a pet!). And even though they are playful and adorable, stay away from then because: badass.

Here a very nice video of Snoop Dogg talking about otters (and the best of luck to you wife, lucky her!)

Well, thanks for the advice. And thanks for the video. It's really awesome! Actually, the part of the organization she applies for is working on rebuilding natural streams, because otters don't like to swim in concrete ditches. And also, they are working to make bridges otter friendly. Because as bad ass as otters are, they don't like to swim through dark holes. And they are not very talented in crossing busy streets, either. So in order to help them you can build a path for them on the side of the stream where they can walk through the underpass.

And of course while otters are the main target of these measures there are plenty of benefits for the environment in general. If the strems are natural and if underpasses are big passages instead of tiny holes many other animals will be able to live there again, too.

That's why it would be really awesome for her to get that job. So thank you for your optimism!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @SchwarzerAbt

That is a fantastic organization indeed! What awesome projects they have. The reasons why so many otter pups (river otters, of course) are found alone is because their mother was most likely killed while trying to cross a street. And no, otters definitely don't like concrete; they like their rivers to be real rivers!

Please let us know when your wife gets the answer about the job!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll definitely will. We know that there are four other persons in consideration for this position, so it will be a tough decision. We will see...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Here's about as random a question as I can come up with:

If the country seems so damn angry about everything the president-elect is doing and there's scandal galore, why has the Dow Jones skyrocketed since the election? Context for asking: I know very, very little about investing and how the markets work, so this isn't an attempt at either a dig or endorsement. I'm try to keep it as apolitical as possible, really. I'm just very surprised to see this massive upward swing, and I don't understand the correlation. Anyone here able to give me a dummy's guide to this?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Is sarahkjessicasonethjng still a mod on that cringe worthy horrible Muse forum I used to post on some years ago?

Or were you done with the band after that pretty fricken awful Drones album they put out? I couldn't believe how bad it was and this is coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed their previous release.
    Last edited by Corona Radiata; 01-12-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    1st, check with your parents or anyone else that might have added you to be an authorized user. (for example, I've added both of my daughters as authorized users to two of my credit cards (without them knowing) to get their credit started.) 2nd, cancel your Experian account asap before you're charged $21.95 a month... Credit Karma is free.
    Last edited by bwary; 01-12-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input; I didn't add any credit card for Experian. I have spoke with my parents; neither claim to have added me as an authorized user, so I filed a dispute on that account. We'll see how it goes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Another question: my wife and I are planning on traveling to Europe and hitting a few stops this summer. I'm beginning to get a bit concerned with the prospect of traveling abroad as an American, but my wife says we should be fine. Am I justified in this?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I'd say your wife is right. Unless you stumble on some moron, we never confuse the American government and the American people. Say Hi when you enter a shop and thank you when you leave and you'll do just fine.
    Even when Bush decided to go to war, at the peak of the US loathing, we never treated the people like they were their government.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Seconding this - you'll be fine. The only real unpleasant stereotype that you hear about Americans over here is that they're rude and ignorant. Not only is this a foolish view to hold, it's also one that you can easily avoid anyway by just being the decent people that you doubtless already are . Most people aren't interested in discussing politics with strangers either, so you'd be unlikely to encounter uncomfortable discussions - and people will respect a polite request to leave a topic alone. Come and see the sights! You'll have a great time

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    ^ This, rather than my own input. Unless your start to flaunt your political leaning, you'll be fine, no matter what.
    Fundamentally, we don't appreciate rude or obnoxious people, just like everyone else. We have no hostility towards Americans, no matter the "zeitgeist".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Gotcha. Thanks for the input, everyone. I've been abroad before (lived in Sweden from '08-'10) just wondering with the current US state of affairs - just thinking out loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Betting in the movies - I don't gamble, at all. I might have attended a horse race once or twice and gambled for fun a couple times but in general I just don't do it. So I also am lacking some knowledge regarding how gambling operates. I specifically get into this mode of not understanding when watching how movies portray some gambling events.

The best example of this is when it either shows something like a chaotic dog fight or fighting match of some kind and some dude who I think might be the "bookie" is calling for people to place their bets and all you see is a whole load of folks clutching cash or throwing it in general piles and then boom, betting stops and the fight starts. I'm not real confused on what happens there as I know some folks bet on one contender and others bet on the other. But when the fight ends and the winner is declared, how in god's name do the payouts happen? The bookie clearly isn't taking any notes or registering bets. So somehow the people who betted on the winner get paid out, how much? Does he just divy up the lumped pot between the winners? If you're betting more than others aren't you entitled to more money?? Or are we just supposed to assume when they portray it in this way that somehow, some way, it works. I mean, I know at the horse track you have to pick how the race to come will play out and place a bet before the race starts. Betting stops as soon as the race starts (The Sting seemed to portray this pretty accurately) But in these "basement bets" games is this really how these things are done?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hello @marodi ! Unfortunately the job at the otter organization did go to someone else, but in the last few days my wife and I both got other great offers and now we can return closer to our home region.

I am quite sure that our new jobs will involve a little bit of otter protection too, but to a smaller degree. More in a "prevent possible damages" kind of work.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    Hello @marodi ! Unfortunately the job at the otter organization did go to someone else, but in the last few days my wife and I both got other great offers and now we can return closer to our home region.

I am quite sure that our new jobs will involve a little bit of otter protection too, but to a smaller degree. More in a "prevent possible damages" kind of work.
    Thank you for letting me (us) know! I'm sorry she didn't get the job but it sounds like it turned into a better opportunity for the both of you which is awesome! And there are plenty of ways to help with otter protection .

The very best of luck to you both!