Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He said:

Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Basically they provided me a faux sales presentation assignment. I wouldn't be presenting this, just emailing them the presentation for them to look at it.
    @tony.parente , did you end up getting an interview? (Or the job?)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-14-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i fuckin' LOVE the explorers! dick miller, robert picardo, and the aforementioned stars. so good. i wore out my taped-off-tv VHS copy of it.
    Yeah, we had a taped VHS copy too, lol. We were kinda poor so most of our movies were taped, and yeah, I tended to wear out the tapes that I loved.

I think I just watched stuff way more passionately back then. Nowadays I'll watch a movie once, maybe a couple times if I really like it a lot. But back then my bothers and I probably watched our favorite movies like 50 times a year each. Some of those movies, I bet I could recreate the entire film shot-for-shot with all the dialogue intact and everything. I don't think any movie I watch these days will ever sink into my psyche as deeply as the movies I obsessed over back then. Kids are just way more hardcore about the things they love.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He said:

@tony.parente, did you end up getting an interview? (Or the job?)
    Didn’t get the job. Worked for HOURS on that damned presentation too.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I stand by what i said
    Last edited by playwithfire; 11-14-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: THAT WAS IN CAPITAL LETTERS HOW DARE U ETS

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Didn’t get the job. Worked for HOURS on that damned presentation too.
    Crap. Maybe it wasn’t due to the PP slides, but was that somebody had a better resume or more targeted education. With only 3 to 5 slides, maybe you gained better PP skills?

Have you found another job, yet?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Crap. Maybe it wasn’t due to the PP slides, but was that somebody had a better resume or more targeted education. With only 3 to 5 slides, maybe you gained better PP skills?

Have you found another job, yet?
    Haha oh yeah I found another one almost immediately. I was VERY green in that industry, im back in my comfort level in a NOC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Lately, I've been wanting to find movies that remind me of being a kid. I was born in 80, so it would be eighties or early nineties movies. Of course you've got the Goonies and ET and Indiana Jones and the usual suspects, but I was thinking we could come up with some more obscure gems too.
    I really hope that some of y'all see this. Perhaps I should make it into a thread.

I was going to make a "general cinema talk" thread, but I fear that as soon as I do, someone will tell me that there is already such a thread.
    My favorite was The Journey of Natty Gann. An emotionally complex movie with adventure.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Yeah, we had a taped VHS copy too, lol. We were kinda poor so most of our movies were taped, and yeah, I tended to wear out the tapes that I loved.

I think I just watched stuff way more passionately back then. Nowadays I'll watch a movie once, maybe a couple times if I really like it a lot. But back then my bothers and I probably watched our favorite movies like 50 times a year each. Some of those movies, I bet I could recreate the entire film shot-for-shot with all the dialogue intact and everything. I don't think any movie I watch these days will ever sink into my psyche as deeply as the movies I obsessed over back then. Kids are just way more hardcore about the things they love.
    Haha, yeah, my brother and i LITERALLY watched Flight of the Navigator at least a hundred times.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Haha, yeah, my brother and i LITERALLY watched Flight of the Navigator at least a hundred times.
    OH MY GOD i just showed my wife that movie earlier this year (i feel like i told you about this already) and i made a huge deal about needing nestle crunch bars while we watched it...not remembering that you see david eat a nestle crunch exactly once for a few seconds. i somehow remembered it being a much bigger deal than it actually was. still love that movie, though. just...don't look up that actor or it'll make you real sad and uncomfortable.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    just...don't look up that actor or it'll make you real sad and uncomfortable.
    Naturally the first thing I did upon reading this was look up the actor. Pretty crazy that he grew up to be a bank robber. wtf. Color me surprised.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe @Mantra GET BACK, JACK I've got a gun!

HAahaha bank robbery is it?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yup, apparently he tried to use a long wig and a bandanna as a disguise.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i think it's been brought up in the horror thread, but the gate with stephen dorff is one i remember fondly.

and the first two critters flicks. lots of stuff from usa network's UP all night. spookies, night of the creeps, etc.

i was also OBSESSED with flight of the navigator.
    Last edited by kel; 11-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i think it's been brought up in the horror thread, but the gate with stephen dorff is one i remember fondly.

and the first two critters flicks. lots of stuff from usa network's UP all night. spookies, night of the creeps, etc.

i was also OBSESSED with flight of the navigator.
    i saw The Gate on HBO late one night when i was home alone. i think i was like 10 or 11 and it scared the shit out of me. now it's just fun, but it still freaks me out when he gets the eye in his hand.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    At my grandparents house, we had this tv room and the two movies that we loved and watched every time we went there were La Bamba, and Stand By Me (which I was way too young for.)

Hey, should we make a thread for this, or at least a "random movie talk" thread?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Can't tell sometimes if Morrissey is an intolerant person (speaking as a big Smiths fan). His comments are so questionable sometimes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Can't tell sometimes if Morrissey is an intolerant person (speaking as a big Smiths fan). His comments are so questionable sometimes.
    like when he sort of kind of defended sexually assaulting people? -_-

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    like when he sort of kind of defended sexually assaulting people? -_-
    Exactly what I mean, among other things

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Hey, should we make a thread for this, or at least a "random movie talk" thread?
    I think a thread like "random movie talk" would quickly die because it would be so general. I think something like "childhood nostalgia movies" or something sort along those lines would get better response.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This came up at work the other day, I forget how, but tonight it came up again. --- Is, "you're welcome" and "your welcome", both technically correct? Splitting hairs?
    Last edited by Pillfred; 11-27-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    This came up at work the other day, I forget how, but tonight it came up again. --- Is, "you're welcome" and "your welcome", both technically correct? Splitting hairs?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    as katara pointed out above—absolutely not. it's always "you're welcome" because what you are saying is "you are welcome."

i've been trying to be less of a stickler for those sorts of things, though, because i'd rather not be condescending toward people. it's a hard line to walk because i'm passionate about grammar. clearly, though, i don't care about capitalization, so i'm a weirdo.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Now that I think about it, "you're welcome" is a strange way to respond to "thank you."

You're welcome. Welcome to what?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Now that I think about it, "you're welcome" is a strange way to respond to "thank you."

You're welcome. Welcome to what?
    Whatever it was they're thanking you for. So if you hold the door open and someone says "Thank you", when you say "you're welcome" you're saying "you're welcome to have me always hold the door open for you! You're awesome!"

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Whatever it was they're thanking you for. So if you hold the door open and someone says "Thank you", when you say "you're welcome" you're saying "you're welcome to have me always hold the door open for you! You're awesome!"
    I suppose that makes sense, but it still seems odd to me. "You are welcome to my assistance." It's just weird. It would be like answering with "Oh, help yourself."

"Hey, thanks for holding the door!"

"Help yourself!"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I suppose that makes sense, but it still seems odd to me. "You are welcome to my assistance." It's just weird. It would be like answering with "Oh, help yourself."

"Help yourself!"
    But if they help themselves they wouldn't be using your welcoming assistance.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

"Help yourself!"
    Dude, you're a fellow English major; every time *I* wonder about something, I do some research :P

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2...committee.html

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...come-come-from

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    But if they help themselves they wouldn't be using your welcoming assistance.
    Sure they would! They would be helping themselves TO my assistance. lol

I'm saying that "You're welcome to the assistance I am providing" is just like saying "Help yourself to the assistance I am providing." Hence, I'm going to start responding to people's thanks by saying "Help yourself."

Dude, you're a fellow English major; every time *I* wonder about something, I do some research :P

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2...committee.html

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...come-come-from
    Thanks! But hey, if I just researched everything on my own, what would we have left to talk about? lol

I understand that "You're welcome" is like any term or phrase that has evolved way beyond its original/literal meaning, where it can no longer be explained in a purely literal "denotative" sense but instead through its practical, contextual, everyday application. But still, I think English is a somewhat crazy language, so one of my favorite pastimes is noticing all of the strange/funny/illogical phrases and grammar rules that we have. It's probably one of my favorite kinds of humor, actually. Seinfeld used to do stuff like that a lot, which is one of the reasons why I liked that show so much.

I spent the last week or so torturing my family and friends by asking them if they could understand/explain the difference in meaning between "I have only one car" and "I only have one car." Most of them found it to be an annoying question, lol.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Lol lol I love that, too!!

There’s a subject-object difference between the two?

“I only have one car” - “only” (adverb) modifies “have”

“I have only one car” - “only” (adjective) modifies “one” (car)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/gram...djectives/only
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The French / Latin / Spanish way of responding to "Thank you" = "it's nothing" which is sometimes good.

But, on a professional level, when a client or a business contact sends me a sincere email thanking me, it's professional to respond to that gratitude in a thoughtful and proper way.

"It's nothing" implies that the task was unimportant, and it sells myself short and discounts their gratitude (thanking me for nothing).

But "you're very welcome" (my typical response) says that they are the deserving object of my assistance and it's a pleasure helping them.

My other response is "it's my pleasure."

Language = communication
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2017 at 10:13 PM.