Thread: Random General Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    OK, so anyone a bit savvy with credit ratings? I set up an account with Experian at my wife's request. I saw that there was a credit account with Citi that I've NEVER known that dates back to 2008/2009. I called Citi, and they had no record of my name with any of their accounts. Dude even checked with their affiliates (Best Buy, etc) and nothing. I then called Experian, and they said that I should check to see if I was listed as an authorized user on any cards. I've NEVER been an authorized user on any Citi product.
    Any thoughts or feedback on next steps?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    OK, so anyone a bit savvy with credit ratings? I set up an account with Experian at my wife's request. I saw that there was a credit account with Citi that I've NEVER known that dates back to 2008/2009. I called Citi, and they had no record of my name with any of their accounts. Dude even checked with their affiliates (Best Buy, etc) and nothing. I then called Experian, and they said that I should check to see if I was listed as an authorized user on any cards. I've NEVER been an authorized user on any Citi product.
    You need to file a (written) dispute with the credit reporting agency, but first you need documentation from Citi that you do not in fact have an account, nor were you on your parents' account while you were a student, etc. Here is a link to how to dispute, and here is a link if all of that doesn't work.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    1st, check with your parents or anyone else that might have added you to be an authorized user. (for example, I've added both of my daughters as authorized users to two of my credit cards (without them knowing) to get their credit started.) 2nd, cancel your Experian account asap before you're charged $21.95 a month... Credit Karma is free.
    Last edited by bwary; 01-12-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input; I didn't add any credit card for Experian. I have spoke with my parents; neither claim to have added me as an authorized user, so I filed a dispute on that account. We'll see how it goes.