I apologize if this should be folded in to another thread about the EP's but I think this topic deserves some discussion on its. Own I had made a similar post on the subreddit but I'd like to pick some brains here.

What do we know about when these songs were written and recorded? A few different articles have made reference to "2 years ago" as the start of Trent and Atticus getting the writing bug and tapping into a sense of aggression.
I'm wondering about how accurate this is for at least one song though: "She's Gone Away."

SGA appears in Twin Peaks The Return episode 8 (you know, the Greatest TV Episode of All Time™) which was released 6 months after Not the Actual Events but all of the music portions of Twin Peaks were filmed in one day, roughly in October of 2015. Interviews with Trent and the Twin Peaks music supervisor reveal that She's Gone Away was something pretty close to a commission from David Lynch. Trent and co were invited to play on the show and they apparently made something quiet and spacey to which Lynch objected and explained that he had invited them specifically to get something aggressive. Does SGA then pre-date everything else? Do any of the other tracks go back to 2015? Have we or will we ever hear whatever the quieter song was (Was it the Lovers or something like it perhaps?)
Also back when this was all first announced and Trent was promising new music in 2016, he mentioned that there would be two projects in 2017 and then backtracked a bit. It seems at that point they knew it would be a trilogy but the spacing between them wasn't set. In new interviews Trent has mentioned how they started down one path expanding upon Add Violence for the third release but then went in a different direction. I'm just left wondering when all of this happened.