Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    snaapz: I'd love to see the team release a HD version of Quake 1. Same maps, sounds, sprites, lighting etc... keyword is SAME! Don't use these new dark room crappy detail engines.

you know that original Quake runs great in high res? both winquake and glquake (just delete file opengl32.dll, it supports only 3dfx)
    multiplayer might not work today, however, not a big loss supposedly
    other games suggested look like ballast that needs a serious rework in order to be playable in 201x.
    True! But just recently I added a new video card and now I can't get Quake to run properly any more. It opens and runs but all the colours are florescent. Can't find a work around... other than DOSBOX maybe.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    no idea what causes this, try glquake together with this driver http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide (3dfx emulation)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Or download dark places?

I just recently played a 3rd party map from quaddicted.com and it kicked arse!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks! I downloaded the newest catalyst driver (14.4) and if fixed it! 10 more years of Quake!

I was wondering...

Quake was a game changer, it is (was) extremely popular and we now have Quakecon.

Trent was indeed a part of Quakes success. The sound FX, ambiance and music track really helped to make the game. So, would Trent ever speak at or attend Quakecon?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Still listen to this one.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I fired up Quake the other day, and something occurred to me that hadn't before.

As a side-issue, following some of the earlier discussion about getting quake working, here are even more reasons why you shouldn't bother with GLQuake: https://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

Anyway, what I noticed was that the sound effects in Quake (also by Reznor) are all 8bit, 11kHz. They really jar with the quality of the music now, imho. It would be wonderful if higher quality sounds still existed somewhere.

The doom3 leaked SFX are 24/22kHz. I've never listened to them before, but I wonder if they'd fit in the context Quake.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

This is my favourite one, love the heavy breathing and demonic singing voices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The doom3 leaked SFX are 24/22kHz. I've never listened to them before, but I wonder if they'd fit in the context Quake.
    I've always wondered what Doom 3 would be like if Trent Reznor didn't get into a squabble with Id software... Wonder if there's a mod for that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRFTS View Post
    I've always wondered what Doom 3 would be like if Trent Reznor didn't get into a squabble with Id software... Wonder if there's a mod for that.
    There is, at least for the leaked SFX that he did complete

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So it turns out the pre-release multiplayer-only test release, QTest, has higher quality sound effects than the final game, also alternatives and unused sound effects in the PAK file. I'm exploring now.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    So it turns out the pre-release multiplayer-only test release, QTest, has higher quality sound effects than the final game, also alternatives and unused sound effects in the PAK file. I'm exploring now.
    Hand them over cunt!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hand them over cunt!
    Flattery gets you everywhere.

The sounds extracted from the PAK, zipped up: http://jmtd.net/tmp/sounds.zip

also included is a CSV which conveniently lists the sample and bitrates for each sound. (by me, I should add.)

If you want QTest itself, this link works Qtest Download

I had some trouble extracting the PAK file using conventional tools as it seems the PAK file format might have evolved between this and the final release of Quake.

Next up, I'm going to inspect the quake leaked pre-release beta and the half life alpha which apparently has unused quake assets in it too.
    Last edited by jmtd; 06-16-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is Quake being re-released or something? Is there any way you can buy quake which includes the soundtrack without having to put the CD in?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Link doesn't work, 404. :/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

also included is a CSV which conveniently lists the sample and bitrates for each sound. (by me, I should add.)

If you want QTest itself, this link works Qtest Download

I had some trouble extracting the PAK file using conventional tools as it seems the PAK file format might have evolved between this and the final release of Quake.

Next up, I'm going to inspect the quake leaked pre-release beta and the half life alpha which apparently has unused quake assets in it too.
    to open the quake pak you need pak explorer.

1st tool
    http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.shtml

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Is Quake being re-released or something? Is there any way you can buy quake which includes the soundtrack without having to put the CD in?
    No (it's freeware so would be a huge waste of cash) and no. You can pirate it as it's freeware, but there is, to date, no standalone release of the OST

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    to open the quake pak you need pak explorer.

1st tool
    http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.shtml
    I was on a Mac, so I only tried the command-line tools, which I could build OK but none of them handled ID1.PAK. Someone I know on IRC authored a tool and uploaded it for me to https://github.com/E-werd/PakTool which worked. But I had to fire up a Windows VM to run it, CBA to get mono set up on the Mac beyond installing it.

Sorry for broken link, it's actually

http://jmtd.net/tmp/sound.zip

edit

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    No (it's freeware so would be a huge waste of cash) and no. You can pirate it as it's freeware, but there is, to date, no standalone release of the OST
    A) Quake isn't freeware at all. There's a 1-episode shareware version, which is software rendering only and afaik a DOS executable, and that's it. The commercial game is still being sold actively. The engine source code has been released, and you can get many community-built, free engines, but you still need game data to play it.

But sadly, B), none of the places selling Quake nowadays (e.g. Steam) include the soundtrack. So you have to either buy a 2nd hand copy of the original CD release, or pirate (at least) the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ...but none of them handled ID1.PAK...
    That was part of the agreement between ID and modding community, that the various mods all required full version of game to play, hence this "incompatibility".

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That was part of the agreement between ID and modding community, that the various mods all required full version of game to play, hence this "incompatibility".
    Mods shouldn't work with the SW version of quake (just pak0.pak), yes, I remember that agreement at the time. But pak tools could open pak0.pak just fine. I've just fired up a windows vm again and pakexplr managed them both and id1.pak too. So the issue seems to be with the from-source builds of the amateur tools on a modern machine.

I think the most likely explanation for why the tools I tried failed is that they make implicit assumptions that don't hold true in my OS X environment and basically throw a wobbly, probably sizeof(int) etc. being larger than expected (not being a 32 bit system)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    @jmtd Awesome, thanks for the upload! I assume it's just the /nin directory that's Trent's work - kind of sparse. I don't have the full/final game, does he have more material in there?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    @jmtd Awesome, thanks for the upload! I assume it's just the /nin directory that's Trent's work - kind of sparse. I don't have the full/final game, does he have more material in there?
    Yeah all the monster and most environmental effects are missing as QTtest was multiplayer only.

I'm not sure, I think "halo" could be TR too; the stuff in romero is likely John Romero goofing around, the stuff in American by American McGee.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Your Quake soundtrack rip is probably wrong.

Quake was recently re-released on GOG, including the soundtrack (for the DOS version: included CD ISO). Someone has been looking at ripping the disk, and in doing so they discovered that the CD was mastered with the rare pre-emphasis flag set.
    http://www.gog.com/forum/quake_the_o...offering_music

Read up on CD pre-emphasis here
    http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...is_on_audio_CD

recent iTunes versions can handle pre-emphasis on rips. I'm not sure about EAC etc. But, just about any rip that's been floating around the web is very unlikely to have applied the necessary de-emphasis.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I finally found my Quake CD, so I'm ripping it with some different rippers and comparing the results.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Checked my Quake CD-ROM and EAC says it has no pre-emphasis.

I have a digipak version with barcode 7 42725 12100 3
    Is this story based on some other release with different audio mastering?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Checked my Quake CD-ROM and EAC says it has no pre-emphasis.

I have a digipak version with barcode 7 42725 12100 3
    Is this story based on some other release with different audio mastering?
    I guess it must be. I have an early release (v1.01) , I'll check barcode and serial and what-not Tomorrow. But it definitely has the pre-emph flag.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    From what I read on a certain piracy site, the full retail version doesn't contain Pre-emphasis, and the tracks are bit-identical (besides the data track of course.) to the shareware release, which has Pre-emphasis. It's possible that the Pre-emphasis flags were made in error. I mean, it doesn't really make sense for it to have Pre-emphasis anyway. It's a pc game and most players are gonna be playing the soundtrack on their PC.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 11-17-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    From what I read on a certain piracy site, the full retail version doesn't contain Pre-emphasis, and the tracks are bit-identical (besides the data track of course.) to the shareware release, which has Pre-emphasis. It's possible that the Pre-emphasis flags were made in error. I mean, it doesn't really make sense for it to have Pre-emphasis anyway. It's a pc game and most players are gonna be playing the soundtrack on their PC.
    I'm afraid the certain piracy site is wrong. I have the first release boxed edition of Quake retail, version 1.01 CD, which I bought myself in 1996, and it does have pre-emphasis set. Here's EAC For that disk:

I'm fairly certain the pre-emphasis flag was set in error, but what I don't know is whether or not the audio was also de-emphasised in error as well, so what is the correct version - de-emphasised or not? I'm currently leaning towards de-emphasis being necessary, based on listening to the results. But I'd prefer to come up with a logically tight reasoning for what would be right.

FWIW, back in the 90s CD-audio was been decoded by the CD-ROM drive in the computer and analogue audio data passed to the sound card over a dedicated cable. So the CD-ROM drive itself interpreted the pre-emph subcode and applied the de-emphasis curve.
    @BenAkenobi , one possibility is your digipak is a later, fixed version. Would you be prepared to share a FLAC/EAC rip of that CD with me for testing purposes? I can reciprocate with a rip from mine. If so let's take it to PM.
    Last edited by jmtd; 11-18-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

I usually have this and a couple others playing on loop for most of my Halloween atmospheric needs, be it company party needs (we go all all out with the decorations) or at home for the yearly trick-or-treat needs. The high pitched sound in Parallel Dimensions works really well with the visuals of strobe lights, for some reason.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I usually have this and a couple others playing on loop for most of my Halloween atmospheric needs, be it company party needs (we go all all out with the decorations) or at home for the yearly trick-or-treat needs. The high pitched sound in Parallel Dimensions works really well with the visuals of strobe lights, for some reason.
    That's generally my favourite track, although I've been spending more time with this one recently. The cornet/sax sounds towards the middle-end jump out during the game, and make me think TR is trying for a bit of Cosey Fanny Tutti

Last edited by jmtd; 11-19-2015 at 01:28 AM. Reason: video link

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    OK the good news is @BenAkenobi 's copy is correctly mastered. I've pulled together some scrappy draft notes and stuff here http://jmtd.net/quake/ - but in short, the freq analysis of the beginning of track 2 (first audio track) is identical between Ben's copy and a rip of mine with cdparanoia, which is a pre-empt-aware ripper (so it did de-emphasis on the cd audio after ripping).

I have a graph of a bad rip I can put up (which doesn't account for the preemph flag), plus some accuraterip checksums, more details about how various rippers handle etc. - I also want to overlay the freq analysis of a good and bad rip to highlight the difference.