Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake (1996)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quake (1996)

The forgotten score?

I've spent some time revisiting this release over the last few days and have found myself riveted.

What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think iD are really missing a trick not re-releasing it as a standalone score, it's brilliant and one of Trent's best early works

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The biggest problem with the score, at the time, IMHO, was that it was optional: you got it if you had the CD in when you played. I rarely bothered to dig out the CD, so most of the time I played Quake I didn't have the musical accompaniment, and really, it makes a huge difference to the atmosphere.

TR also did the sound effects for Quake, which I think are a more mixed affair. Some individual sounds, in isolation, are great (the invincibility power-up being one that pops out for me) but they didn't sound all that cohesive together. Certainly not as much as Doom's sound effects.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The music he did for Doom 3 is also very good.

And jmtd, that's more a problem with old school gaming than with the score, surely?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Doom 3 music is all by Chris Vrenna, are you talking about a bunch of FX from a leaked alpha version?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    No music, the only Trent material for Doom 3 that's been made available (via the leaked beta) are sounds for the zombie, Zombie Commando, Imp, Pinky, Hellknight, some of the weapons and some little misc things (mostly player noises). For some reason they're mixed very quietly in the downloadable soundpack, but that's easily fixed via winrar/notepad modding.
    With very few exceptions (mainly the common garden zombie noises), they're much better than the final versions produced by Ed Lima, Christian Antkow etc, and even that little handful of replacement sound definitely enhances the atmosphere.
    It's also rather funny going through the sound files and listening to Trent voicing "large pain 1-22"...

The really annoying thing is that interviews suggest there's a whole cache of Trent's Doom 3 work sitting on a disc somewhere. If only.....

:edit: Ninja'd by 17 minutes, how embarassing. Doom 3's intro theme was Clint Walsh with Chris Vrenna production, though. Vrenna also provided some of D3's awesome ambient level noises.

On topic, in my opinion Quake has one hell of a score, and unlike Ghosts it's proper ambient. Some of the later tracks are pretty boring, but it's made up for by the scorching main theme (must be listened to at high volume).
    Last edited by Vertigo; 12-21-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    New topic.
    Coincidence? This week I managed to get this.

Edit: this is not my table....

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i don't consider the opening track the best, i love all ten though. to the point that when there was supposed to be a fan interview i submitted question on Quake score in nin.com topic. wish Reznor could give these pieces proper titles, not just by corresponding game levels. this year the game turned fifteen y'know...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    And jmtd, that's more a problem with old school gaming than with the score, surely?
    Well it's not a fault of the score per se, but I think the score really needs to be appreciated in context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    did anyone notice similarities between this
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFVufWdP4YI#t=290
    and that
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfNjSjCo8o#t=81
    ?

p.s.: sorry for forcing you to copy/paste - when i try to make a simple link to youtube, it just embed the whole video
    Last edited by my voice just; 12-22-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember going out to the store and buying the DEMO disc of Quake specifically to get the music... yes we had to buy the demo for $10 I think! Silly Id software put full versions of several games on that disc including Quake that just needed a serial number... best $10 I ever spent - cool soundtrack and several games!!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    pretty quake machine!!

Quake is my all time favorite shooter, i still play it today, be it online or speed running. The soundtrack is flawless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Strange, I was just discussing this with someone today. They were saying about games from days of yore that came with the soundtrack on the CD and that they were rare. I pointed out they weren't, and that Quake was one of the best.

I remember a mate burning a copy of Quake for me when I was in dire financial straits and couldn't buy it. Been a NIN fan for 20 years now, so I was looking forward to the game AND new NIN...

He didn't burn the audio did he. Just the game part... GAH! So it was sometime before I actually heard the proper music.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    This definitely needs a deluxe re-release. It's pure evil.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This definitely needs a deluxe re-release. It's pure evil.
    I doubt there'll ever be a physical release of the OST, but an official download, with official bloody track names, would be great. Mixed into 5.1 too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would also totally love a re-release of this score in a nice foldout digipack or something. Love how atmospheric and creepy it is even though I've never listened to it in context. I'm an ambient music fan so this is just gold to me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ...in a nice foldout digipak or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @ BenAkenobi ^
    Oh wow that looks nice. I didn't know it existed in a digipack, I thought you could only get it in a regular boring jewel case.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I got bored, so checked ASCAP for things Trent has done, just for the thrills (I live an exciting life). And I noticed this, which is probably one of the Quake tracks - and the fact that bicycle now own it. I assume it was part of the PHM/Broken/Part of TDS deal they got, but it's rekindled my hope for a physical release of the OST.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I got bored, so checked ASCAP for things Trent has done, just for the thrills (I live an exciting life). And I noticed this, which is probably one of the Quake tracks - and the fact that bicycle now own it. I assume it was part of the PHM/Broken/Part of TDS deal they got, but it's rekindled my hope for a physical release of the OST.
    The link doesn't work for me, what exactly is it?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    END LEVEL THEME 1 Work ID: 881522155
    ISWC: T9048839038
    Writers:
    REZNOR MICHAEL TRENT
    Performers:
    NINE INCH NAILS
    Variations:
    (none found)
    Publishers/Administrators:
    ARLOVOL MUSIC
    C/O PENNY FARTHING MUSIC
    C/O THE BICYCLE MUSIC COMPANY
    449 S BEVERLY DR STE 300
    BEVERLY HILLS, CA, 90212
    Tel. (310) 286-6600
    Email: licensing@bicyclemusic.com

LEAVING HOPE MUSIC INC
    % GELFAND RENNERT & FELDMAN
    1880 CENTURY PARK E
    SUITE 1600
    LOS ANGELES, CA, 90067
    Tel. (310) 553-1707

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I never forgot about this one, its one of my favorites too. Mines a digipak, i never even knew you could get it in jewel case format.

Anyways, I dint know that Bicycle got Broken with PHM. That gets me excited that someday im going to seen on NIN.com that its been remastered/repackaged and is going to be rereleased in like 4-5 weeks or something, along with Fixed!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    People, these days, really enjoy nostalgic things.

I'd love to see the team release a HD version of Quake 1. Same maps, sounds, sprites, lighting etc... keyword is SAME! Don't use these new dark room crappy detail engines.

Quake 1 alone may not pull in much $, but maybe release a package would!

• Quake 1
    • Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny
    • Doom
    • Bonus Commander Keen (I hated this game)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    snaapz: I'd love to see the team release a HD version of Quake 1. Same maps, sounds, sprites, lighting etc... keyword is SAME! Don't use these new dark room crappy detail engines.

you know that original Quake runs great in high res? both winquake and glquake (just delete file opengl32.dll, it supports only 3dfx)
    multiplayer might not work today, however, not a big loss supposedly
    other games suggested look like ballast that needs a serious rework in order to be playable in 201x.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It runs fast, it doesn't look great. Most of the modern engines (darkplaces etc.) do some serious work on the textures, they aren't the originals.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I just got reacquainted with this soundtrack after several years and there's something that I've always wondered about it. I feel like there are a couple of things that could possibly be sampled or sourced from "The Downward Spiral" (the song). I think the screams on the opening track could be from that and the whispering on track 4 (or track 3 if you aren't counting from the data track) sounds like it could be a garbled version of the "problems do have solutions, you know" part (Coil also did something similar with that part for "The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)" from FDTS).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    ...in a nice foldout digipak or something

Still needs an extra deluxe re-release IMO.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Still needs an extra deluxe re-release IMO.
    That's essentially what this was:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Id_Anthology

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    By le Trenticles!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i got around to listening to the soundtrack today, for early work from trent this is really good, dark and sinister ambient tracks, just what the game needed