Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

The Cooking Thread

If you’re like myself, you have a passion around the stove. Share some of your favorite recipes, cooking tips, cooking music (perhaps? I have a few songs).

Tonight I tried this new recipe. Tweaked it by tossing in some olives. Really turned out quite good.

https://www.laaloosh.com/2013/07/10/...hicken-recipe/

I did so while my music was on shuffle. Some standouts include “Beside You In Time” from With Teeth, “Welcome Oblivion” from Welcome Oblivion, “A Minute To Breathe” from Before the Flood, “Procedural” from Gone Girl, and “Young Men Dead” from Passover.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Looks great!

I love to cook as well. Food Network is always almost on all the time on our TV if there is nothing else on that we want to watch.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Beef Tacos:
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    2 tsp. ground coriander
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    ½ cup chopped onions
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 cup grated cheddarcheese
    6 soft taco shells

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Brown your garlic, use more than called for . Keep things simple don't muddy up your recipes. Use real butter(unsalted), use salt. Keep some cheap wine handy, as well as other boozes. Don't get too caught up in following a recipe to exacting specifications unless you are baking. Tweak shit if you think it may need it. Use a good solid saute pan that you can toss in the oven. There is no shame in hotdish/casserole. Whenever possible light them pans up as in the above gif, never gets old. Yell at serving staff when necessary not when you're just feeling crabby.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Don't get too caught up in following a recipe to exacting specifications unless you are baking. Tweak shit if you think it may need it.
    I’m a firm believer in this. My recent tweak for a recipe was for Kung Pao chicken which asked for dried red chiles. Though, I had the toughest time finding them while scouring multiple grocery stores, so I decided to substitute with fresh Santa Fe peppers. The chicken was so spicy, I was sweating while eating it. It was glorious. Yeah, never be beholden to a recipe.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    If you like Indian food, definitely give this Butter Chicken a try. So easy too.
    https://go.zliving.com/article/5b577...butter-chicken

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I need to start taking pictures, but i think i've mastered roast pork with perfect crackling! Least the last 2 Sundays have been perfect. Only a small cheap joint (enough for one) but yeah the crackling has been awesome, just hard enough to crunch but also moist enough and tasty.

I'll go for round 3 this week and make sure it is not a fluke!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I will always love chopping and dicing and browning and throwing it all in a slow cooker. It's one of the best ways to start a relaxing day off. But for the last year or so, I've been growing more and more fond of sous vide cooking as well. Quality steaks and Mediterranean turkey burgers are my favorites so far.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    The one thing I hate about cooking: cleaning up. I don't have a dish washer either.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Have any of you checked out or heard of Misfits Market? My friend introduced me to it - you basically get mailed different kinds of organic fruits and vegetables every 2 weeks for about $20. The reason why it's called Misfits is because they pick all the fruits and vegetables that are not-so-pretty looking or dinged up, but are still good. My friend sent me pictures of her deliveries and she gets a lot of stuff and they don't really look that bad at all! I'm going to try it out. Not bad for $20, especially all organic.

https://www.misfitsmarket.com/

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I need to start taking pictures, but i think i've mastered roast pork with perfect crackling! Least the last 2 Sundays have been perfect. Only a small cheap joint (enough for one) but yeah the crackling has been awesome, just hard enough to crunch but also moist enough and tasty.

I'll go for round 3 this week and make sure it is not a fluke!
    Just gotta keep trying to nail it every time. I cook so I'm familiar with this mindset.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Bought these today. I know a fair bit about how but not necessarily why. Also I'm eating at home more now and fail at thinking outside my usual what's easy and basic mentality. Also I've been curious about veggie dishes hence forks over knives which I honestly didn't realize until I bought it. It was really a veggie hash recipe that caught my eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    Wow, this looks promising, my kids gonna love it. By the way, I'm thinking about getting a pizza oven like this for them - https://pizzaovenradar.com/p/ninja-t...like-no-other/, what do you think? I guess they should love it. They eat mostly california style pepperoni and cajun pizzas, do you know any good pizza recipes?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Any favorite recipes anyone uses for Thanksgiving?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I usually make my grandmother's turkey and stuffing, which involves several pounds of butter and additional goodness. But this year due to COVID we are not gathering. Gosh I miss my grand kids! I did come across an interesting t-day recipe which also happens to be veg, and seems perfect for a smaller gathering. This may be what I am serving this year:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's just the two of us, Mom doesn't want to risk Covid, so I'm making two glazed stuffed Cornish game hens. The stuffing is apple-cranberry long grain rice. Plus I'm making corn bread.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My mom and I are getting a turkey because we want turkey sandwiches. I'm using Alton Brown's brine recipe as always. I want dressing (stuffing cooked outside the bird), and we have a corn casserole we always make. Instead of pumpkin pie, I think we're making pumpkin cheesecake. It's going to be a ridiculous amount of food for two people, but we can eat leftovers, and I guess it's slightly comforting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Recipe for green beans with bacon, which is my favorite for Thanksgiving (green bean casserole is for Christmas!)

1lb thick slice bacon
    4 cans cut green beans, drained
    1+ tsp fresh ground pepper (to taste, I use a lot)
    1/2 tsp salt (to taste)

- Cook bacon in large pan to desired crispness, set aside
    - Remove about half of the bacon grease from pan
    - add green beans (be careful they will pop in the grease!), stir around in remaining bacon grease until cooked. About 10 min or so. Add pepper
    - crumble bacon and add back to beans when beans are almost completely cooked. I add it back in shifts - stir, add bacon, stir, add more
    - taste and add more pepper and salt as needed (bacon is salty it doesn't need much)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I love cooking. nothing to share at this time but for this devil dish here.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wow, that’s a ... weird recipe.

Does it taste good??

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh I'm totally not making that. saw it on a 70's recipe thing. I mean chicken soup and fruit cocktail?

whew.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They don’t go together at all!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I didn't realize we had a cooking thread...this is one of my favorites:

Turmeric and Coconut Braised Cabbage With Chickpeas
    Ingredients
    ½ medium head of green cabbage (about 2 lb.)
    2 medium shallots (about 4 oz.)
    1 1" piece ginger
    2 garlic cloves1
    serrano or other green chile
    3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt, plus more
    1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
    1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas
    1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. turmeric powder
    ½ cup vegetable stock or water
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Steamed white rice, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges (for serving)

1.To start, prep your ingredients: Slice ½ medium head of green cabbage (about 2 lb.) throughcore to make 4 wedges. Peel and nely chop 2 medium shallots (about 4 oz.). Peel one 1" pieceginger with a spoon and nely chop. Using the side of your knife, crush 2 garlic cloves,remove and discard papery skins, and nely chop. Halve 1 serrano or other green chilelengthwise and, if you don’t want it too hot, scrape out seeds and white membrane with theback of the knife; discard. If you prefer some heat, leave as is. Finely chop chile. Set shallots,ginger, garlic, and chile aside.

2.Heat 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a large high-sided skillet with lid or wide Dutch oven overmedium-high. Add cabbage, cut side down, and season with kosher salt. Cook, undisturbed,until lightly charred underneath, about 5 minutes. Turn over and cook, undisturbed, untilcharred, about 5 minutes. Transfer cabbage to a plate.

3.Shake one 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk to ensure it’s well mixed; open can. Openone 15.5-oz. can chickpeas and rinse in a colander under running water.

4.Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in same skillet over medium-high. Add reservedshallots, ginger, garlic, and chile, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until fragrant,about 1 minute. Add 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds, 1 tsp. ground cumin, and 1 tsp. turmericpowder and cook, stirring, until mustard seeds are popping, about 1 minute.

5.Add coconut milk, chickpeas, ½ cup vegetable stock or water, and 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or½ tsp. Morton kosher salt. Stir to combine.

6.Place cabbage wedges back into pan and, using a large spoon, baste cabbage with coconutmilk; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until cabbage is tender, 15–20 minutes. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

7.Scoop some steamed white rice into each bowl and divide cabbage and chickpeas over; topwith cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges, for squeezing over.

When I make it, I skip the rice, because I'm not a big fan of rice, but you do you!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The chicken & fruit thing doesn't seem too insane. Hasn't anyone ever had a taco with pineapple or mango on it before? It's delicious if the chicken is seasoned in a way that makes it complimentary to the fruit, like a jerk chicken and mango or a chicken pineapple curry. That particular recipe doesn't seem like it would be good, but chicken & fruit can be great if done right.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    What throws me off is the Worcestershire sauce.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I didn't realize we had a cooking thread...this is one of my favorites:

Turmeric and Coconut Braised Cabbage With Chickpeas
    definitely trying this sometime this summer when I have more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The chicken & fruit thing doesn't seem too insane. Hasn't anyone ever had a taco with pineapple or mango on it before? It's delicious if the chicken is seasoned in a way that makes it complimentary to the fruit, like a jerk chicken and mango or a chicken pineapple curry. That particular recipe doesn't seem like it would be good, but chicken & fruit can be great if done right.
    sure, you give that recipe to an actual chef to prepare and it's probably going to turn out pretty good. the way it's written though?

there was a comment further down the page, something about "would love to see a 20s/70s fusion cooking show" where they take recipes like this from the 70s and give them to people today and see how they'd make them palatable.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The chicken & fruit thing doesn't seem too insane.
    The CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP part is what's totally hillbilly to me.

@allegate , that's not "70s" - that's Southern crazy.

I was online with a guy who grew up in North Carolina and said his family made pizza with ketchup and bologna.

The South is what brought us pickles brined in Kool-Aid.

My late Mother-in-Law was from the South, gave me this GIANT Taste of Home recipe book for Christmas one year. Look at the Taste of Home web site for "45 Cream of Chicken Soup Recipes." Like the SURELY AUTHENTIC Mexican recipes with Cream of Chicken soup. (I can hear Anthony Bourdain screaming from beyond.)

What throws me off is the Worcestershire sauce.
    Yeah, that's basically FERMENTED ANCHOVIES. With Cream of Chicken soup. And CANNED FRUIT COCKTAIL!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2021 at 01:44 PM.