Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Hereditary

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Hereditary

Hereditary opened this weekend to great word of mouth and critical buzz. There is already Oscars talk, especially for Toni Collette, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a nod in other categories as well (screenplay?). I just watched it last night, and yes, it is indeed a very powerful movie!

I resent the idea that it's "this year's Get Out" but I'm sure those headlines are coming... Regardless, the movie is great and deserves the praise.

I think this movie will be around for a while so it might as well get its own thread.

Oh, and go see it!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Just in case some of you missed the trailer:

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    This movie was terrible.

It did have some good jump scares, and it is very creepy. Quite unsettling at times, but that's not what made it bad.

It's almost like it was trying to be 2 different movies at the same time.
    I had a very hard time getting into the first half of the movie, but once the "Horror" aspect kicked in, I started to like it, and then... that ending.
    The ending did not pay off at all. It kind of ruined the whole movie for me.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it. It's nowhere near as scary as a lot of reviews make it out to be, but having seen so many horror films (not to mention working on a few), I'm really desensitized to most of the tricks they pull. Still, it was a nice slow burn horror film.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    and then... that ending.
    The ending did not pay off at all. It kind of ruined the whole movie for me.
    The very last 2 minutes should've been cut, for sure. I thought the climax of the movie was pretty scary though!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I saw it last night, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I didn't find it particularly scary, but it's definitely unsettling. I'm a HUGE horror fan, and I love me a good slow-burner.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i was really excited to see this after seeing the trailer but i woke up to texts from my two best friends, alex & tiff, both telling me not to ever see it. i talked to both of them about it for a bit and they said that it would be WAY too upsetting for me. tiff said she felt sick the whole time she watched it, and alex told me he didn't think i'd even be able to make it through the whole thing. apparently the first thing they said when they walked out of it last night was "maxwell should never see this movie." they both apologized for acting like overprotective parents but i thanked them and assured them that if they had that reaction, i would be sure not to watch it.

so, of course, all i want to know is what it's about/what happens because my curiosity is going crazy and i'm probably imagining things that are even worse than anything that happens in the movie. my guess was some kind of sexual abuse but alex said that's not it, and that he'd wait to talk to me about it in person. so i'm just like "whaaaaaaaaat?"

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was really excited to see this after seeing the trailer but i woke up to texts from my two best friends, alex & tiff, both telling me not to ever see it. i talked to both of them about it for a bit and they said that it would be WAY too upsetting for me. tiff said she felt sick the whole time she watched it, and alex told me he didn't think i'd even be able to make it through the whole thing. apparently the first thing they said when they walked out of it last night was "maxwell should never see this movie." they both apologized for acting like overprotective parents but i thanked them and assured them that if they had that reaction, i would be sure not to watch it.

so, of course, all i want to know is what it's about/what happens because my curiosity is going crazy and i'm probably imagining things that are even worse than anything that happens in the movie. my guess was some kind of sexual abuse but alex said that's not it, and that he'd wait to talk to me about it in person. so i'm just like "whaaaaaaaaat?"
    It hit me pretty hard, honestly. There’s some serious traumatic layers to it that I related to.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

A few people in my theatre walked out. I counted at least 3. Some old dude, and the couple sitting in front of me took off during the 3rd act of the movie.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This is the first horror movie to live up to the hype for me in years. I loved it and thought the way it explored its themes and characters was excellent, I’m stunned that this is a feature length debut for the director because it felt so confident, stylistically tight and consistent from beginning to end. It reminded me a lot of Rosemary’s Baby but didn’t feel like a knockoff of other movies. I’ll be surprised if something can come along this year that will affect me more in the theatre.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just like Get Out, I saw this film without seeing any of the trailers, and I’m so happy I did. This one will stick with me for quite a while.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Spoiler: That image of Toni Collette levitating into the treehouse at the end of the film is forever tattooed on my brain. It was so fucking disturbing.

Alex Wolff and Toni Collette both deserve Oscar consideration for their performances.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed this film and this whole thread. I had started a discussion about this movie at a horror website but no one replied to it. Oh well. There are no mistakes, only lessons. (don't go there)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It felt shalamalanlany to me. Not really sure how i feel about this one. Definitely a good/decent movie overall. I did hear a kid behind me say, "wtf did i just watch?" I have mixed feelings on this one. As said above that ending though...
    Last edited by Pillfred; 06-15-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    a lot of symbolism definitely desires a second viewing overall thought was very good, liked that didn't rely on jump scares well put together, more creepy than scary.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    a lot of symbolism definitely desires a second viewing overall thought was very good, liked that didn't rely on jump scares well put together, more creepy than scary.
    -Louie
    I was just gonna post that if you liked this film the first time through, you owe to yourself to see it a second time. So many layers to this one.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I just saw it, and I have NO IDEA what the fuck I just watched.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I watched this last night, and absolutely loved it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah same here ... watched it a few weeks ago and it's easily in my top three / five for this year.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I fucking loved it.

And a big part of what I liked about it is Spoiler:
    knowing that the being and lore was not invented for the film. I knew I had read about it when I was young and obsessed with the occult.
    And I looked it up and, sure enough: it dates back to the legendary Lesser Key of Solomon at least.

In that way, it was "realistic." THAT'S what made it so goddamn creepy to me. I mean, God only knows whether these 400 year old grimoires and books on demonology were outright fabrications or oral tradition or WHAT the fuck, but the fact remains that the idea of that particular demon and its attributes have been around for a long, LONG time, and people have likely tried to summon it.

And THAT shit is fucking scary.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    cinematography definitely built up a sense of dread was curious on first watch if there were frames injected, like the exorcist love movies that don't use a lot of jump scares to scare can weave an atmosphere of doom that gets inside your head.
    -louie

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    THIS MOVIE! AND THIS STUDIO!!!! A24 has been on fire for years now:

Locke
    Under The Skin
    Obvious Child
    A Most Violent Year
    Ex Machina
    Slow West
    The End of the Tour
    Room
    Mojave
    The Witch
    Krisha
    Remember
    Green Room
    The Lobster
    De Palma
    Swiss Army Man
    Moonlight
    The Monster
    Blackcoat's Daughter
    It Comes At Night
    The Florida Project
    The Killing of a Sacred Deer
    Lady Bird
    Eighth Grade

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The night I saw this movie, I went home and Bad Witch had JUST released. So I finally listened to it, 5 times that night, and now Bad Witch and Hereditary are permanently linked to each other in my brain. Listening to something like “Play The Goddamned Part” and thinking about this movie gives me the creeps sometimes. Brilliant film!