Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1398

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Took me a few listens to get into it. I think I'm on 25 listens by now and it's become my favourite of the trilogy. They are all good in their own way though. I've just not felt inclined to play the other two on repeat as much as this one (yet).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    But nothing on [Bad Witch] is particularly catchy
    What.

Aside from I'm Not From This World (which is awesome), this is the epitome of catchiness.

Also, the album's only been out a month. Barely enough time to fully absorb. Although, perhaps a month is a long time in this current age of throw-away media and whiplash attention-spans.

Most of NIN's music is initially ugly. It's great that you want to keep at it but try not to overplay it. Throw it on every now and again. Let it sink in over time. One day, something somewhere may click, and the pieces will start to fall into place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think listening to them together, in order (to start) is a good way to hear the trilogy as a whole. They might not all fit together perfectly, but I think it's the best way to appreciate the EP's. I was talking with a friend, and they said they were enjoying Bad witch, but didn't really get into NTAE, and prefers Add violence best. I was like HUH?! To me, if I had to pick my favorites, it's NTAE & Bad Witch no question. Everyone is different though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't like "God Break Down the Door" when I first heard it. I think the Bowiesque quality was distracting and made the song hard to listen to. But I finally listened to the entire CD today - in order - and whether it was arranged the way it is on purpose or not it makes sense now. I was actually a little surprised when it was over because I hadn't said, "Nope. Skipping that one," a single time. Granted it's only 6 songs but I couldn't tell you the last time I made it through 6 songs on a new CD without hitting "next" at least once. The 6 songs come across as ONE song in my opinion. So much so that when I caught myself humming along to GBDTD I thought to myself, "This is the bridge." Again, no idea if the pieces were arranged to sound that way but they come across that way to me.

It also made me wonder if there is such a thing as "New Age Industrial" because that's the term it brings to mind.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSmith View Post
    ...I couldn't tell you the last time I made it through 6 songs on a new CD without hitting "next" at least once.
    that makes me so sad. i don't remember the last time i listened to a new album and felt the desire to skip a song. it helps that i don't really have the option since my first listen of a new album is almost always on vinyl, but still. you gotta find some stuff that resonates with you more.

edit: @WorzelG uh...sorry i want people to enjoy music?
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 07-18-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that makes me so sad. i don't remember the last time i listened to a new album and felt the desire to skip a song. it helps that i don't really have the option since my first listen of a new album is almost always on vinyl, but still. you gotta find some stuff that resonates with you more.

edit: @WorzelG uh...sorry i want people to enjoy music?
    sorry that was an accidental facepalm!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    We should probably have a word for that. Buttpalming?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    sorry that was an accidental facepalm!
    hahaha that's hilarious. i don't usually give a shit about facepalms but in that instance i was just so befuddled!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Having had a month to digest Bad Witch i can say with confidence...i like it. Some of it is different (very different) but it's all still good in its own right.

I wasn't keen on GBDTD on first listen when it was leaked, but after listening to record in full a few times i quite like it now. It's not my fav NIN single, but it isn't bad (and the live version is pretty fan-fucking-tastic!) Shit Mirror is probably my fave track, but whilst listening to my phone on random i'm not hitting 'skip' on any of them (which i found myself doing for She's Gone Away not long after NTAE came out)

...it's no Add Violence mind, that record is just all absolutely fucking killer no filler for me (i still can't skip the end of Background World...i don't know why!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So far I really like BW. It's hard for me to pick a favorite of the 3 EPs. I liked AV more than NTAE when it first came out (probably because I heard more of a traditional song structure), but now that BW is out, I feel like I understand and appreciate NTAE more than I did initially. Ahead of Ourselves is a top-tier NIN track for me, not even going to sugarcoat it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    NTAE > Bad Witch > Add Violence

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    NTAE = Add Violence = Bad Witch

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    NTAE - Add violence = bad witch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post

a bad witch leaves the background world traveling at less than 30 miles per hour. two hours after she's gone away the lovers leave the same dear world, travelling in the same direction at 40 miles per hour. how long does it take for the bad witch to play the goddamned part and catch up to the lovers? (show all work)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so there was no ARG. no answers.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlkr View Post
    so there was no ARG. no answers.
    The ARG was inside of us all along

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    What if the ARG was the friendships we made along the way?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, “ARG” was certainly one of the sounds I made when the Deviations fiasco unrolled.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    At this point in time, of the 3 eps, Add Violence is the best in my opinion. BW has the best artwork and merch. Best songs would be Burning bright, the background world and probably shit mirror. But its hard for me to choose between NTAE and BW. Not a big fan of shes gone away or the idea of you, but also find ive been skipping the instrumentals and over and out lately. They just kind of drag along for me without any dynamic change throughout. I wont say boring, but there is no part in any of those songs I wait for and look forward to throughout. Of those songs, the best moment is probably the "heeeeyy, can you hear" ending of the idea of you. But i love that he tried something different on BW. I just kind of hope he keeps the Bowie vocal style a BW thing only. Let it be unique to this release only. That would make BW even more special.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 07-19-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Finally heard it for the first time today. And holy shit!

Not at all what I was expecting, yet my expectations were completely fulfilled at the same time. Every song was fantastic and memorable, and Over And Out's ending reminds me so much of Before The Flood. It's interesting to hear saxophone again, and I still love how Nine Inch Nails always changes their sound yet still sounds like NIN. I'll let this digest for a while and make a follow-up post.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    For my own mental health, I wish that it was HM that had just come out and BW came out a few years ago.
    I'm so fucking depressed and Ahead of Ourselves PERFECTLY elucidates a lot of what goes on in my head: shit that I'm unable to put into words but is ultimately terrifying.
    So yeah, I like this album a lot but it actually, honestly disturbs me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i think some of you will feel this sounds really stupid, sorry about that beforehand, probably just too much THC and coffee or too much free time on my part-but is there some way this trilogy could be tied into the manson family murders? i've done a small amount of research on the case and am now an expert at all serial murder escapades. i don't think it's the direct theme, but it's impossible to ignore when there's so much direction alluding back to the TDS era (the backwards b-sides really got me into watching the gave up video-obviously shot while in that tate house-more for the house than the rock stars. trying to see the background of it. sort of a childish gambino-this is america viewpoint. a lot comes out when you aren't just watching the dancing/singing.)

okay.

charlie always throws what you say back at you. shit mirror. he lets nearly every interviewer know it. 'i didn't use that word, i didn't say that, you did!' and such. 'i got out of prison in the 60's and its a new world...' etc.

reports of a girl reminiscing charlie being an amazing lover, (link from last oct) https://nypost.com/2017/10/25/relivi...year-old-girl/
    the song the lovers has this innocence about it, not unlike the hippy movement to try and stop the war.

in one interview of charlie with a female, he calls her a witch. he's upset at her for condescendingly treating him like he was less intelligent than he is.

in the geraldo interview:
    Geraldo: Susan Atkins comes home to you with bloody hands. She says “Charlie, look what I have done.”
    Manson: Yeah. She said “I give you the world. I just killed myself and I give you the world.”
    Geraldo: So, how did you react?
    Manson: I said “You dumb fucking cunt, I already had the world. You just put me back in jail again.” That’s what she did, she put me right back in jail.

Bad Witch?

Charles was diagnosed with schizophrenia, as was the writer of the Branches/Bones wordpress diary, or so we can assume by the diary's title.

"Do it well and leave something witchy." Charlie is sure to be as vague as possible discussing these infamous events with every interviewer. he says we don't understand what happened. he wasn't there for the actual events, and neither were we.

i could read the lyrics to Less Than from the character of charles getting out of jail in this new world and seeing a war going on and the hippie movement. "needful, too many fucking people, you'll have to take care of yourselves, you know i've got my hands full" manson was very repetitive in how he wanted to not be involved in anything that would get him back into the pen in the time leading up to the tate murders. he calls the murders tex's psyco episode, not his. he complained about all his attorneys just wanting the publicity. it's a long stretch to compare the video for less than and the polybius government data mine operation with the mk ultra mind control operations, but, both are huge mythical/mystical government fuck-ups at attempts to control the general population. keep in mind, charlie was on the cover of life magazine before he was even convicted. some random spectacles aren't random. manson said "how the hell did i brainwash 35 girls in a year? that's impossible. you're making me out to do the impossible. you don't understand, you are making me a legend" and the media really did.

most of the trilogy lyrics as described by the ninwiki reference the past albums in some way. trent wants us to look to the past to find the answers.

charlie's also stated in multiple interviews how he was medicated unwillingly and physically beaten by prison staff. he was a prisoner of america's world war since 1944. the literal reform school he got sent to he said he was raped and beaten at-actually did put out a report in 1975 estimating 1/3 of the boys in that reform camp committed rape. The boystown has been discarded and is now a private adult correctional facility and been renamed so the future forgets anything ever happened there to manson or anyone else. we're covering up our problems and loopholes instead of fixing them. (link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plainf...ional_Facility and this next link is the same building, says est. in 2006 but that's a cover-up. https://www.in.gov/idoc/2404.htm) "They’re gonna rip you off in every way you can think of because you didn’t give your own children the benefit of the courtroom that your fathers fought in battles and died for." dealing with the current immigration situation, what's charlie really so crazy for again?

on a side note. manson had ties with the beach boys at one point. they reworked (at least, charlie isn't alive anymore to testify) one of charlie's songs. he was inclusive to the hollywood lifestyle and admits it to interviewers, he considered it fake and tinsel. he also had a prison cell next to timothy leary in folsom, where the two of them could talk but not see each other. weird facts. as for my personal opinion, i can definitely see where manson got his LSD hookup now, and also how a group of desert hippies could even find some crappy one-story ranch with a guest house and a pool. they were probably the tate house's recreational drug connect. ok. back to the trilogy.

wasn't the add violence art theme supposed to be a sort of government mind control? with the physical component being a reference guide to the machine controlling a simulated reality? manson was clear when asked by penny daniels what he would to survive if he got out of prison, when he replied that the interviewer was pretty much convinced of the simulation she was in-what does a deer do to survive? there's water, sunlight, food growing from trees. there's a world around you to survive in. you don't need soda, cigarettes, candies, fast food, starbucks, hollywood, etc. all these instant gratifications hold no real feeling of happiness.

so. god break down the door, it's known that trent stole the door of the tate house. 'took' okay, sorry big guy, please don't tell me to suck your whole cock. please. i could be on to something. the tate house was destroyed, erasing the actual hard evidence of what happened. we are left with the memories to figure out what happened. there's lots of talk of the investigation and tate crime scene being botched before, during, and after the police arrived, "you won't find the answers here, not the ones you came looking for" and all of the manson family referred to charlie as their God. i know a lot of people consider this song bowie tribute, and maybe i am completely out of my mind on all of this. it's just a theory. sorry again. i probably need more coffee and less time to myself. i could have edited this better, again sorry sorry sorry, but i'm not getting paid for this and my coffee mug is empty. take care all, and thanks for reading.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Wow.
    Jesus dude.
    Yeah I don't really see it, but anything is possible.
    at any rate, that's one hell of a post.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Wow.
    Jesus dude.
    Yeah I don't really see it, but anything is possible.
    at any rate, that's one hell of a post.

the beach boys album 'summer in paradise' was the first ever album recorded with pro tools, on a macintosh, released in august of 92-which means it was recorded a bit before that. it's out of print, unlisted in their official reissue campaign, cited as the band's absolute low point, and no information exists on where this album was recorded but it does say that most of it was created digitally (with almost no actual instrumention by the band) by mike love (one of the beach boys who was in contact with manson-the other being dennis wilson, who manson listed as his address when arrested) and terry melcher. that is the same terry melcher who charlie was trying to get a recording deal with, who vacated 10050 cielo drive when he was dating the lady who played murphy brown on television. it was later stated that charles knew melcher didn't reside there. whether that's true or not, who did reside there at the time was sharon tate-the pregnant wife of a would-later-be-convicted (in 1977, yet still somehow not imprisoned and making movies) child molestor and current US fugitive, roman polanski (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...ual_abuse_case). this house was a playboy spot honeymoon getaway for many celebrities when you look at the history of the people who had visited it. i could see the entire beach boys company wanting to abandon that whole scenario and memory.

we can go all conspiracy theory on the actual manson case if you want, sure, but there is plenty of that all over the net elsewhere. was this some deal with an evil established sex/human trafficking ring? was it a drug deal gone bad? some hollywood party house that tex wanted his drug money back from? whatever the case, i just want to make it clear i'm not personally supporting manson's actions, beliefs, or any of these murders in the slightest. the whole event is terrible.

ok so.

trent started renting 10050 cielo drive later in '92, or so the internets say, and he left the house in dec '93, as he said in an interview, due to not wanting to be taken as a support of charlie's actions. broken was recorded there, as was TDS, released in march of '94. i can't imagine how long he had to dwell over this decision. we (as fans) keep getting thrown back into the TDS era, with "nothing can stop me now" lyrics trickled throughout the fragile & with teeth, plus hesitation marks correlating back to that TDS time period as well-perhaps it still doesn't sit very easily with trent even this long from being involved with it. so maybe we're still hearing residual throwbacks to that era all over, like a haunting. either way, trent did what he could, and got out of that scenario.

there's a man and what could be an inverse sun on the cover of bad witch. also, manson used to sign his name with a stick figure and picture of a sun.

also, i could be COMPLETELY out of my mind and just trying to attach everything by six degrees of separation. again, sorry about that, i'll stfu.
    Last edited by laststepdown; 07-20-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah, that is definitely reaching. Ease up on the THC, my man.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So, today I came across something interesting called 88 Lines About 44 Women by a band called (The?) Nails. The album art was strikingly similar to Bad Witch. Anyone know anything about this music?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    i think some of you will feel this sounds really stupid, sorry about that beforehand, probably just too much THC and coffee or too much free time on my part-but is there some way this trilogy could be tied into the manson family murders? i've done a small amount of research on the case and am now an expert at all serial murder escapades. i don't think it's the direct theme, but it's impossible to ignore when there's so much direction alluding back to the TDS era (the backwards b-sides really got me into watching the gave up video-obviously shot while in that tate house-more for the house than the rock stars. trying to see the background of it. sort of a childish gambino-this is america viewpoint. a lot comes out when you aren't just watching the dancing/singing.)

okay.

charlie always throws what you say back at you. shit mirror. he lets nearly every interviewer know it. 'i didn't use that word, i didn't say that, you did!' and such. 'i got out of prison in the 60's and its a new world...' etc.

reports of a girl reminiscing charlie being an amazing lover, (link from last oct) https://nypost.com/2017/10/25/relivi...year-old-girl/
    the song the lovers has this innocence about it, not unlike the hippy movement to try and stop the war.

in one interview of charlie with a female, he calls her a witch. he's upset at her for condescendingly treating him like he was less intelligent than he is.

in the geraldo interview:
    Geraldo: Susan Atkins comes home to you with bloody hands. She says “Charlie, look what I have done.”
    Manson: Yeah. She said “I give you the world. I just killed myself and I give you the world.”
    Geraldo: So, how did you react?
    Manson: I said “You dumb fucking cunt, I already had the world. You just put me back in jail again.” That’s what she did, she put me right back in jail.

Bad Witch?

Charles was diagnosed with schizophrenia, as was the writer of the Branches/Bones wordpress diary, or so we can assume by the diary's title.

"Do it well and leave something witchy." Charlie is sure to be as vague as possible discussing these infamous events with every interviewer. he says we don't understand what happened. he wasn't there for the actual events, and neither were we.

i could read the lyrics to Less Than from the character of charles getting out of jail in this new world and seeing a war going on and the hippie movement. "needful, too many fucking people, you'll have to take care of yourselves, you know i've got my hands full" manson was very repetitive in how he wanted to not be involved in anything that would get him back into the pen in the time leading up to the tate murders. he calls the murders tex's psyco episode, not his. he complained about all his attorneys just wanting the publicity. it's a long stretch to compare the video for less than and the polybius government data mine operation with the mk ultra mind control operations, but, both are huge mythical/mystical government fuck-ups at attempts to control the general population. keep in mind, charlie was on the cover of life magazine before he was even convicted. some random spectacles aren't random. manson said "how the hell did i brainwash 35 girls in a year? that's impossible. you're making me out to do the impossible. you don't understand, you are making me a legend" and the media really did.

most of the trilogy lyrics as described by the ninwiki reference the past albums in some way. trent wants us to look to the past to find the answers.

charlie's also stated in multiple interviews how he was medicated unwillingly and physically beaten by prison staff. he was a prisoner of america's world war since 1944. the literal reform school he got sent to he said he was raped and beaten at-actually did put out a report in 1975 estimating 1/3 of the boys in that reform camp committed rape. The boystown has been discarded and is now a private adult correctional facility and been renamed so the future forgets anything ever happened there to manson or anyone else. we're covering up our problems and loopholes instead of fixing them. (link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plainf...ional_Facility and this next link is the same building, says est. in 2006 but that's a cover-up. https://www.in.gov/idoc/2404.htm) "They’re gonna rip you off in every way you can think of because you didn’t give your own children the benefit of the courtroom that your fathers fought in battles and died for." dealing with the current immigration situation, what's charlie really so crazy for again?

on a side note. manson had ties with the beach boys at one point. they reworked (at least, charlie isn't alive anymore to testify) one of charlie's songs. he was inclusive to the hollywood lifestyle and admits it to interviewers, he considered it fake and tinsel. he also had a prison cell next to timothy leary in folsom, where the two of them could talk but not see each other. weird facts. as for my personal opinion, i can definitely see where manson got his LSD hookup now, and also how a group of desert hippies could even find some crappy one-story ranch with a guest house and a pool. they were probably the tate house's recreational drug connect. ok. back to the trilogy.

wasn't the add violence art theme supposed to be a sort of government mind control? with the physical component being a reference guide to the machine controlling a simulated reality? manson was clear when asked by penny daniels what he would to survive if he got out of prison, when he replied that the interviewer was pretty much convinced of the simulation she was in-what does a deer do to survive? there's water, sunlight, food growing from trees. there's a world around you to survive in. you don't need soda, cigarettes, candies, fast food, starbucks, hollywood, etc. all these instant gratifications hold no real feeling of happiness.

so. god break down the door, it's known that trent stole the door of the tate house. 'took' okay, sorry big guy, please don't tell me to suck your whole cock. please. i could be on to something. the tate house was destroyed, erasing the actual hard evidence of what happened. we are left with the memories to figure out what happened. there's lots of talk of the investigation and tate crime scene being botched before, during, and after the police arrived, "you won't find the answers here, not the ones you came looking for" and all of the manson family referred to charlie as their God. i know a lot of people consider this song bowie tribute, and maybe i am completely out of my mind on all of this. it's just a theory. sorry again. i probably need more coffee and less time to myself. i could have edited this better, again sorry sorry sorry, but i'm not getting paid for this and my coffee mug is empty. take care all, and thanks for reading.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So, today I came across something interesting called 88 Lines About 44 Women by a band called (The?) Nails. The album art was strikingly similar to Bad Witch. Anyone know anything about this music?
    Aside from being black and white, I don't see anything similar about the artwork.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    i would argue the opposite. I’m still not content that we have explained all of the manifestations of the new trilogy or should just accept them as background drapings. I’m still looking at ciphers, have read books, and have a belief that there are remaining pieces to be put together.

The shelved YZ tv show, the notion of the PC’s, the unsolved items from YZ ARG... to me this is all table setting / world building. Do I agree with all of the tangents that @laststepdown references? No. But can I see a solid narrative behind it? Well... yeah. But if the trilogy is pointing at the Manson era, or the branch of reality that came from destroying the Tate house? That would seem weird. But... look at all the backward refences.

Or maybe I’m just crazy too.

#IWantToBelieve