Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43
Results 1,261 to 1,268 of 1268

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

  1. #1261
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,389
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So, today I came across something interesting called 88 Lines About 44 Women by a band called (The?) Nails. The album art was strikingly similar to Bad Witch. Anyone know anything about this music?
    Aside from being black and white, I don't see anything similar about the artwork.

  2. #1262
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    i would argue the opposite. Iím still not content that we have explained all of the manifestations of the new trilogy or should just accept them as background drapings. Iím still looking at ciphers, have read books, and have a belief that there are remaining pieces to be put together.

    The shelved YZ tv show, the notion of the PCís, the unsolved items from YZ ARG... to me this is all table setting / world building. Do I agree with all of the tangents that @laststepdown references? No. But can I see a solid narrative behind it? Well... yeah. But if the trilogy is pointing at the Manson era, or the branch of reality that came from destroying the Tate house? That would seem weird. But... look at all the backward refences.

    Or maybe Iím just crazy too.

    #IWantToBelieve

  3. #1263
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Aside from being black and white, I don't see anything similar about the artwork.
    I couldn't figure out how to link the image, but it was a white background with a grid of black and white pictures of lo-fi quality. My immediate thought was of the BW artwork when I saw it. Plus the band name also pushed me in that direction.

    Since I can't figure out how to link just the image, here is the page with the artwork. Its the second and third down from the top:

  4. #1264
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,389
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to link the image, but it was a white background with a grid of black and white pictures of lo-fi quality. My immediate thought was of the BW artwork when I saw it. Plus the band name also pushed me in that direction.

    Since I can't figure out how to link just the image, here is the page with the artwork. Its the second and third down from the top:
    It's not necessarily a new setup for album artwork. It's about as much of a stretch as the Charles Manson link.

  5. #1265
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,364
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    "so maybe we're still hearing residual throwbacks to that era all over, like a haunting." - @laststepdown

    this is the part i ONE HUNDRED PERCENT agree with.

    is bad witch about the manson murders? No.

    Is modern NIN "haunted" by the TDS era? Absolutely.
    And this era includes the tate house.

    So it IS part of it.

    No way do i think it's part of it to the degree that homeboy was suggesting, but it's DEFINITELY at least a small part of it.

    And that's all ah have ta say about that.

  6. #1266
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    24.24.2.1633
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

    is bad witch about the manson murders? No.

    Is modern NIN "haunted" by the TDS era? Absolutely.
    And this era includes the tate house.

    So it IS part of it.

    No way do i think it's part of it to the degree that homeboy was suggesting, but it's DEFINITELY at least a small part of it.

    And that's all ah have ta say about that.
    thanks for putting up with my insane correlation, and thanks for giving it a thesis better than i could in my inebriation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So, today I came across something interesting called 88 Lines About 44 Women by a band called (The?) Nails. The album art was strikingly similar to Bad Witch. Anyone know anything about this music?

    Actually, yes. That's pretty interesting (insert a "the" nine inch nails joke here, i don't have the wit right now) I have never seen the art before googling it right now. However, I do know the song well. I used to do a lot of karaoke (more than i want to admit) when my drummer died (2009), i would get up on stage and scream brittney spears 'hit me baby' or whatever pop was popular at the time every week at a local bar, and just give it a deathmetal/screamo screech. the 60 year old stoner I was playing cards with would go with me after we were done playing on friday nights and sing this song, others like 'broken hearts are for assholes' by frank zappa (which i recognized at the time from closure, i've been a NIN fan since PHM), 'kicks' by paul revere (which is crazy now from the stupid connection to manson family and the theory I presented that everyone hates me for and looks at as bad), the clash, paul simon, sex pistols, joy division, dead kennedys, other old songs/bands i can't think of off the top of my head-but yeah, he would sing 88 lines all the time at the karaoke bar. Consistently. Like it was on his personal setlist. If everyone got to go up and do 2 songs that night he would sang 88 lines, and assholes. He had it in his disc changer next to god save the queen and london calling. I was going through a BAD breakup at the time, found out she was a junkie, (and a much longer story than i want to get into right now, that is probably better expressed about through art) and he would give me gifts of these soundscapes of albums from the past to listen to and try and help when we traveled to card tournaments together. music as therapy, you know. i am a state champion card player, i was ranked top 5 in my state at one point in my specific game. so we had tons of 8 hour drives to 2 day convention center dwellings. i wasn't looking at album art though, we were usually in a convertible 2-seater (miata!), so there's not an optimal time to check out album art. so it was just music and conversation. my friend has seen the ramones more times than i've seen NIN, he's the reason i started organizing my digital offline collection by YEAR as well as genre/artist/album. and i was going through enough emotionally/personally that i never bothered to look back at that old artwork. the hum in the chorus reminds me of the verses of less than.
    Last edited by laststepdown; Today at 09:46 AM. Reason: double post

  7. #1267
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,010
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I’m loving reading all these inputs about the record, as I do every album cycle. All I can say is that while there’s great satisfaction to be drawn from stories that are tied up neatly, with a bow to cap it all off, I always find that I personally get more immersed in stories that are incomplete - whether it be by design or a result of circumstance that makes it so. Something Trent said about the Year Zero ARG, which was my introduction to ETS and all you lovey folks, deeply resonated with me. I’m paraphrasing because I’m lazy, but it was something along the lines of, “I’m giving you chapters 1, 2, 5, 20, and 76.” That concept kind of fascinated me, because I guess until I was 17 (fuck, I’ve been here 11 YEARS?), I hadn’t really even tried to look at stories or art as something that can be incomplete and still be beautiful and creative.

    That’s one thing that I love about the NIN discography - Nothing feels truly complete, and it all pulls on those itty bitty threads that connect from one work to another, which keeps me listening, investigating, and posturing new ideas about all of it until...well, I guess until I just don’t have the mental capacity to do that anymore. Until that moment, the possibilities are infinite. Bad Witch just pulls on some of the same strings as nearly any release in the catalog - There’s never enough time. Questions and hypotheses on the idea of God. The idea that no matter what we do, as a species or individuals, some things will simply never change, but maybe someday, they could. Determining how much of “you” is actually “you” versus other influences, be that your past life, dependence on another person, people, drugs, ideology, or any other thing that can consume a person’s soul. Asking ourselves what COULD have been.

    I suppose my point is that over time, I’m wondering whether a perfectly articulated and thought-out narrative even fits in with the world that Nine Inch Nails creates for itself. I don’t think this trilogy is a perfect representation of what it was idealized to be in the beginning stages of its creation, and Bad Witch is a natural mutation in that 3-link chain that almost seems to want to separate itself from the other two releases, to a degree. It’s absolutely connected. But I think it’s connected in more of a mutative, evolutionary sense than a cohesive narrative sense. If you were to map out each of the three releases and connect them with red string, you’d have a myriad of connections between them, but you’d also likely be left with dozens of open ends. Maybe a bunch of those open ends stretch waaay back to other works if you go far enough, but maybe it’s less of a direct connection to something that can be pinpointed and more of a natural tendency toward a given direction. Like something’s there, but can’t quite be defined or made out clearly - ANOTHER common trope we’ve all seen in NIN’s work over the years.

    There are always going to be connections to the past, connections to the future that we may not be aware of when living in the present, and connections that may not even be meant go anywhere, but keep us intrigued all the same. Perhaps meant to be explored without a definitive end. The artwork, the physical components, the videos - while they may not bring all the concrete answers we want, they can be tools to help us in the search that some of us just can’t seem to stop ourselves from undertaking, whether it leads to something created more from our own imaginations and perceptions, or something intentionally left for us to eventually find in the background.

    Anyway, I’m done taking a shit, back to work!

  8. #1268
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    24.24.2.1633
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I’m loving reading all these inputs about the record, as I do every album cycle. All I can say is that while there’s great satisfaction to be drawn from stories that are tied up neatly, with a bow to cap it all off, I always find that I personally get more immersed in stories that are incomplete - whether it be by design or a result of circumstance that makes it so. Something Trent said about the Year Zero ARG, which was my introduction to ETS and all you lovey folks, deeply resonated with me. I’m paraphrasing because I’m lazy, but it was something along the lines of, “I’m giving you chapters 1, 2, 5, 20, and 76.” That concept kind of fascinated me, because I guess until I was 17 (fuck, I’ve been here 11 YEARS?), I hadn’t really even tried to look at stories or art as something that can be incomplete and still be beautiful and creative.

    That’s one thing that I love about the NIN discography - Nothing feels truly complete, and it all pulls on those itty bitty threads that connect from one work to another, which keeps me listening, investigating, and posturing new ideas about all of it until...well, I guess until I just don’t have the mental capacity to do that anymore. Until that moment, the possibilities are infinite. Bad Witch just pulls on some of the same strings as nearly any release in the catalog - There’s never enough time. Questions and hypotheses on the idea of God. The idea that no matter what we do, as a species or individuals, some things will simply never change, but maybe someday, they could. Determining how much of “you” is actually “you” versus other influences, be that your past life, dependence on another person, people, drugs, ideology, or any other thing that can consume a person’s soul. Asking ourselves what COULD have been.

    I suppose my point is that over time, I’m wondering whether a perfectly articulated and thought-out narrative even fits in with the world that Nine Inch Nails creates for itself. I don’t think this trilogy is a perfect representation of what it was idealized to be in the beginning stages of its creation, and Bad Witch is a natural mutation in that 3-link chain that almost seems to want to separate itself from the other two releases, to a degree. It’s absolutely connected. But I think it’s connected in more of a mutative, evolutionary sense than a cohesive narrative sense. If you were to map out each of the three releases and connect them with red string, you’d have a myriad of connections between them, but you’d also likely be left with dozens of open ends. Maybe a bunch of those open ends stretch waaay back to other works if you go far enough, but maybe it’s less of a direct connection to something that can be pinpointed and more of a natural tendency toward a given direction. Like something’s there, but can’t quite be defined or made out clearly - ANOTHER common trope we’ve all seen in NIN’s work over the years.

    There are always going to be connections to the past, connections to the future that we may not be aware of when living in the present, and connections that may not even be meant go anywhere, but keep us intrigued all the same. Perhaps meant to be explored without a definitive end. The artwork, the physical components, the videos - while they may not bring all the concrete answers we want, they can be tools to help us in the search that some of us just can’t seem to stop ourselves from undertaking, whether it leads to something created more from our own imaginations and perceptions, or something intentionally left for us to eventually find in the background.

    Anyway, I’m done taking a shit, back to work!

    right after i typed out that stupid manson correlation, i found out who my biological parents were coincidentally. some googling and internal conflict found my results. cried most the rest of the day, really. i've known i was adopted since i was like 5, and my adoptive parents were amazing and i couldn't have asked for a better set of parental units-but i still don't know my heritage, and bloodline, medical history, etc. when a person would talk casually/socially about how they're a quarter cherokee, and a quarter irish, or this or that, i would just exclude myself from the conversation as easily as possible, as i was a mutt. little things like that add up, all the way to not being confident in myself enough to be able to go say 'hi my name is' to a girl at a bar. and i've always felt like the outcast/black sheep in my adoptive family tree.

    so. i found out my mom died in 2013 and my dad died in 2014 to the day, yesterday. i had no idea. i saw their grave for the first time yesterday, i just found out where it was and drove to it. i called the memorial gardens and they said "you're coming today?" like, lady, are you kidding? what do you want me to do, wait another 35 years? they had a map of the place ready for me when i got there. i didn't know my mom was buried next to my dad. i have 2 half-brothers and a half-sister that i obviously never knew about. i talked to my half brother for the first time ever, 4 years after my dad's passing to the exact day. that's some good odds. i might go to the casino tonight. my only regret is not finding them sooner, and getting in a conversation with them. answer some questions, you know? so, the half-siblings, i'm going to meet two of them literally later today, they're not 2 hours away and now i'm the baby of this family. they were all in their 30s when i was born. so they have a good memory of what all happened, and might at least give me some history to the event. learning can be fun! hope this is incomplete enough!
    Last edited by laststepdown; Today at 11:34 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions