Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
Results 571 to 592 of 592

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) - Album has leaked, SPOILERS

  1. #571
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ah. Yes, that it is. Sorry about the confusion. I read it like people were talking about the album in all configurations.

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Soundtrack to a horrid era

    I didn't mind getting the leak as I've paid for the package and why wait til Friday whilst everyone else goes nuts? I love this E.P - first impressions and repeat listens, particularly enjoying the way Trent and Atticus have pushed the distortion of bass and rhythm whilst weaving in so many other crisp and nuanced sounds. It's all horribly bleak, or at least a new expression of the feeling as expressed by the dark lord and reigning master of making incredible yet bleak music. It seems hard to not find this music being a soundtrack to this godawful state of affairs going on in the world, I wouldn't take 'Over and Out' to be another Wave Goodbye moment, as has been speculated.
    I'd guess if there's future NIN, we may not necessarily be correct in thinking 'this is the new sound' I think that the consistencies within Trent's and Atticus's delivery style are always a recognisable dna that glues the sonics together, melodies and brutality, but they seldom seem happy to deliver us the same thing twice.
    Has anyone worked out what's said in the whisper moment of Shit Mirror? I find it fairly hard to objectively rate NIN releases, especially rating one against another. There's a very slim number of previous songs that don't stand out so much, I generally always love the newness of any particular album/ep because, on the whole, there's always that feeling that an interesting and unexpected direction has been chosen, so Bad Witch doesn't deviate from the pattern of actually just being surprising.

  3. #573
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, does Pete Murphy sing on Over and out, or not? Or was that a joke?

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    321
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Oh man, Bad Witch is so much in a small amount of time. Lots to digest, the sound is so different.



  5. #575
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Over and Out is so beautiful. The synth fading out at the end is gorgeous. I wasn't sure if The Background World could be topped, but this song comes damn close. It has such a surreal, dreamlike feel to it.

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Has anybody coined the term Industrial Jazz yet?
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Have to listen a few more times to wrap my head around this.
    Favorite Track (Thus Far): INFTW

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I find my self appreciating GBDTD a lot more when I listen to the LP in order. Very cool LP.

  8. #578
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    dutch mountains
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

    Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) - Album has leaked, SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Has anybody coined the term Industrial Jazz yet?
    Beautiful, just beautiful....
    Indeed mentioned before.
    Piggy opened that era


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    'I'm Not From This World' could have made the cut for Quake 1. Cool track, I love atmospheric/ambient music.

  10. #580
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally caved and listened. Id say its pretty damn good but suffers from its short length. It needs like 2 more tracks or so to feel complete.

    Shit Mirror is a great rocker, wish Trents voice was just like 20% less obscured but its a nice opener.

    Ahead of Ourselves is fucking awesome, a killer tune. That noisy chorus is bone crushing in the best way.

    Play the Goddamn Part is a great jazz industrial jam, i just wish it had a stronger climax or something. it kinda fizzles out when it should explode.

    God Break Down the Door is the freshest NIN in years and probably ultimately my favorite track here. Its a fucking beast in context of the album.

    Im Not From This World is a cool eerie instrumental but feels long winded and overall unnessacary. May listen to this one more to see if it grows on me.

    Over and Out is incredible. Easily my second fav track here after GBDTD. Awesome groove and who knew Trent could sing like that? whoa.

  11. #581
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Starting to think bringing Atticus in as an official member was one of the smartest things Trent has done. Maybe it gave him a kick in the ass after the NIN by numbers Slip/Hesitation Marks stuff...These 3 EPs are some of the most aggressive and sonically adventurous stuff he has done since Fragile era...Atticus did that awesome digital hardcore Error EP with Greg Puciato back in the day. I gotta think he has been an influence on Trent to push boundaries again

  12. #582
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Starting to think bringing Atticus in as an official member was one of the smartest things Trent has done. Maybe it gave him a kick in the ass after the NIN by numbers Slip/Hesitation Marks stuff...These 3 EPs are some of the most aggressive and sonically adventurous stuff he has done since Fragile era...Atticus did that awesome digital hardcore Error EP with Greg Puciato back in the day. I gotta think he has been an influence on Trent to push boundaries again

    Yeah that Error Ep is sick man, wish they had more stuff than just the 4 or 5 songs on there.

  13. #583
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Has anybody coined the term Industrial Jazz yet?
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Have to listen a few more times to wrap my head around this.
    Favorite Track (Thus Far): INFTW

    Lol just an hour ago I was searching bandcamp and youtube for "Industrial Jazz"

  14. #584
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I absolutely love that Error EP. I think Trent and Atticus need to make their own Error type EP. Something completely abrasive and unsafe.

  15. #585
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Lol just an hour ago I was searching bandcamp and youtube for "Industrial Jazz"
    Try listening to Perdition City by Ulver.

  16. #586
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I absolutely love that Error EP. I think Trent and Atticus need to make their own Error type EP. Something completely abrasive and unsafe.
    Bad Witch isn't abrasive and unsafe enough for you?!

  17. #587
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Yeah that Error Ep is sick man, wish they had more stuff than just the 4 or 5 songs on there.
    I've found one other, "wild world" from the birthday party tribute album. The beat throughout is very nin.

  18. #588
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    So, does Pete Murphy sing on Over and out, or not? Or was that a joke?
    I commented downthread (upthread?) that Trent's vocal style reminded me of Peter Murphy. Maybe it was misinterpreted? Or maybe someone else said something...shit gets lost in 20 pages. I'll go back and clarify my post.

  19. #589
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    Bad Witch isn't abrasive and unsafe enough for you?!
    In its own way... but I think Trent and Atticus can push it further. Harder, heavier. I wanna hear something like Nothing's Working and Brains Out. Just full on IDM nuttery and noise.

    Imagine Underneath It All meets Tetsuo meets The Perfect Drug turned to 11
    Last edited by neorev; Today at 02:39 PM.

  20. #590
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    In its own way... but I think Trent and Atticus can push it further. Harder, heavier. I wanna hear something like Nothing's Working and Brains Out. Just full on IDM nuttery and noise.

    Imagine Underneath It All meets Tetsuo meets The Perfect Drug turned to 11
    Sounds like Ahead of Ourselves

  21. #591
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I commented downthread (upthread?) that Trent's vocal style reminded me of Peter Murphy. Maybe it was misinterpreted? Or maybe someone else said something...shit gets lost in 20 pages. I'll go back and clarify my post.
    @simonn - I legit asked that because it really does sound like Peter Murphy. I'm anxiously awaiting liner notes to confirm.

  22. #592
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    I've found one other, "wild world" from the birthday party tribute album. The beat throughout is very nin.
    Greg doesnt do vocals on that song though which sucks....He only did the EP and then he bailed

Posting Permissions