Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    “Shit Mirror” just feels like a punch in the face, in a good way.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not that it matters much at this point, but my expected arrival date changed from Wednesday to Friday according to UPS tracking

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    “Shit Mirror” just feels like a punch in the face, in a good way.
    Agreed. I'm listening to the album right now and so far... it's so fucking good. It's dark and intense. I love it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Not that it matters much at this point, but my expected arrival date changed from Wednesday to Friday according to UPS tracking
    Mine too. Hopefully it arrives ahead of schedule.

Would be nice to get a shipping notice for the Spotify edition, too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    At times it feels like if the Quake soundtrack fucked Lost Highway behind the back half of The Fragile.
    Not only do I agree, I love the way you put it!

This is the first NIN album since their scoring career began where I feel like it was heavily influenced by their experiences scoring films, and I mean that in the best way possible. A lot of instruments remind me of Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl specifically and those are atmospherically my favorite scores so it's a good thing.
    I definitely felt that influence in NTAE (most notably in Dear World) and Add Violence (The Lovers and This Isn't the Place). But it's probably most apparent here.

The fact that it almost ends blissfully is even more unsettling and nightmarish, like this dazed acceptance of everything being ruined.
    I quite like this interpretation, as well.

I'm going to listen to this to death this summer.
    Amen to that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All I can say is Over and out is such a surprise.
    Last edited by nineismine; 06-18-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Shit Mirror is an incredibly catchy opener. Really aggressive with a fantastic hook. Ahead of Ourselves and Over and Out are currently tying my favorite NIN tracks of all time. When it comes to the instrumentals Play the Goddamn Part is pretty good but I find myself skipping it more often than not. I'm not really feeling I'm Not From This World at all though. It's far too ambient for my liking. The track finishes just as it sounds like it's about to get more interesting. As for God Break Down the Door it's alright but never did much for me.

Personally this is my favorite of the trilogy. Shit Mirror, Ahead of Ourselves, and Over and Out are just incredible.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    My secret hope is that they do that whole combined album release, but with the songs from the first two EPs tweaked to match the sonic palette. Shouldn’t be too tough with NTAE, but some significant alterations are needed for Add Violence to sound like it belongs on the same album as these songs.
    While I don't doubt that TR & AR could find a way to make this work, I don't know that I would necessarily want any of those songs changed. I imagine part of the appeal would be the immense diversity amongst this pool of songs. It's definitely hard to imagine songs like The Lovers or This Isn't the Place residing next to pretty much anything on Bad Witch, unless The Background World is what's separating them. Like maybe if it were arranged in a way where the first half is songs that take place in the "dream world/simulation" and the second half is the "real world" and The Background World is what bridges them? Anyway, maybe Trent changed his mind about that and we'll never see an official realization of that idea. I'd definitely love to see a proper remix album this time around, with more input from the NIN camp, not just 100% other artists hired to do the work (not that I don't enjoy Year Zero Remixed).

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've heard it twice so far and whoa... I need time to figure out where to rank the album as I'll listen to the album for a while. I will say that "Over and Out" is definitely one of the best songs. Did Trent do his own backing vocals or did he get someone else? Plus, I gotta know if he did play some of the saxophones in the tracks. I really fucking love "Play the Goddamned Part".

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    Personally this is my favorite of the trilogy. Shit Mirror, Ahead of Ourselves, and Over and Out are just incredible.
    Those are my favorites, too. I LOVE Over and Out, was really surprised by that one. Based on the descriptions from the Physical World presale, I was expecting Ahead of Ourselves to be awesome, but Shit Mirror may have stole its thunder! That one-two punch is a fantastic way to start things and going from INFTW into Over and Out is an amazing way to end it. But I have to say that I seriously like ALL of the songs. I also have to agree with the sentiment that collectively, this trilogy is definitely the strongest NIN material since Year Zero. MAYBE even since The Fragile.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) - Album has leaked, SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I've heard it twice so far and whoa... I need time to figure out where to rank the album as I'll listen to the album for a while. I will say that "Over and Out" is definitely one of the best songs. Did Trent do his own backing vocals or did he get someone else? Plus, I gotta know if he did play some of the saxophones in the tracks. I really fucking love "Play the Goddamned Part".
    I’m pretty sure in the Beats 1 interview, he mentioned that he played the saxophone parts on this album. He said that it was sitting there in the studio, tempting/mocking him.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post
    I’m pretty sure in the Beats 1 interview, he mentioned that he played the saxophone parts on this album. He said that it was sitting there in the studio, tempting/mocking him.
    Ah.... he should play more sax as it had a jazz element that I really liked. I definitely hear Blackstar-era Bowie in some parts of the album. Trent and Atticus are definitely in their own world at this point proving that they're in their own universe not needing to compete nor align themselves with the top music stars of today while not giving in towards nostalgia. This is why I love NIN and I'll love them for eternity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    My secret hope is that they do that whole combined album release, but with the songs from the first two EPs tweaked to match the sonic palette. Shouldn’t be too tough with NTAE, but some significant alterations are needed for Add Violence to sound like it belongs on the same album as these songs.
    I really hope they don't do this, I don't see how they could do it without tweaking certain songs too much or without leaving some of them out, and I like the songs as they are now.

I also think it's not really necessary to combine the songs to have a full LP, for me having these songs in an EP trilogy works more than fine, maybe he could just release a special edition package with the 3 EPs on vinyl and CD, and maybe put that as an album on streaming platforms like Apple Music and Spotify, though I'm not sure why Trent's people can't talk directly with the people in Spotify to ask them to move NTAE and AV to the album section, Broken/Fixed, FDTS, Closer To God, TFA, Still and YZRMXD appear in the album section in the Android app with the rest of LPs, only NTAE and AV are left in the singles section, no idea why.

I would also rather see TR and AR working on more new stuff, new scores, new HTDA and The Fragile 20th Anniversary Megadeluxe Edition for 2019 and new NIN LP for 2020 would be great.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After seeing Ahead Of Ourselves LIVE I was blown away by it and couldn't wait to hear it again on the album. Hearing the leaked version wasn't so great; sounded overly distorted and compressed. I was hoping it was as loud and vicious as the live version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I absolutely love how this doesn't sound like anything he's ever done before. The fact that he can do this and it feel authentic and not contrived is incredible. Also, I'm No From This World...holy fuck.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    As for my early take on the record: it’s outstanding. I’m reminded a bit of my initial reaction to NTAE, in that it’s SO good that I’m going to need several more listens to really digest it... but here are my initial thoughts:

There’s not a bad track on this thing.

“Shit Mirror” is a great opener, and the last minute or so is fucking magic. I want to hear this live... now.

“Ahead of Ourselves” is one I got to hear a couple of times at The Physical World pre-sale, and I was there for its live debut in Vegas 48 hours ago. That chorus is a wallop-packed fucking throat punch. Great tune. Sounds like something from Broken, but with a smattering of “Not Anymore.”

“Play the Goddamned Part” is another one I heard in May. I dug it then, and I dig it now. It’s like “The Greater Good,” “All Time Low,” and “Driver Down” had a kinky-ass key party. I don’t know who ended up with who, but I’m fairly certain every hole was filled.

I loved “God Break Down the Door” as a standalone track, but it works incredibly well in the context of the entire record. I hear nuances that I hadn’t previously noticed, and I think the textures of the other tracks are what ultimately help those other elements reveal themselves.

“I’m Not From This World” is an incredible instrumental. Dense, textured, and creepy as fuck. I love it. It immediately joins the ranks of my favorite instrumental NIN tracks.

“Over and Out” has some of the best vocals I’ve ever heard from Trent. Wow. A gorgeous song, and a perfect ending to a record that takes a lot of risks.

No band should sound this exciting, adventurous, and vital 30 years into the game.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooler Than Jesus View Post
    I really hope they don't do this, I don't see how they could do it without tweaking certain songs too much or without leaving some of them out, and I like the songs as they are now.
    While I tend to agree with much of your argument on this, the three EPs will always exist in their current form and you could always choose to listen to them in their originally intended forms. I would absolutely be curious to see how they could work together, but I'm not quite convinced that I wouldn't also prefer them as they are now.

I also think it's not really necessary to combine the songs to have a full LP, for me having these songs in an EP trilogy works more than fine, maybe he could just release a special edition package with the 3 EPs on vinyl and CD
    I'm almost more interested in this idea. Package all three together in a 3-CD (or 3-LP) combined package with new artwork and throw some bonus songs (or remixes or live versions) on there to attract those of us that already own them in their individual forms.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My first impression is that they are 3 different albums, every album fits perfectly but if we change the tracklist to make a full album it wouldn't work
    But now i am not so sure about this, If we check the lyrics, maybe he is telling us a story, this is a crazy story, but I want to create a playlist when the album comes out on friday, using the 3 albums and maybe Hesitations marks

My idea is that maybe HM+ this 3 albums is like a fragile 2 (a conceptual album)
    The story is about a person and his problems with addictions , the relationship, his selfdestruction and his way to the "light"

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I absolutely cannot stand Trent emulating Bowie's vocals on the two tracks here. Completely takes me out of the song each time. I like all the other aspects of each song, and I like the other four tracks. Good EP for sure. Really hope I don't have to sit through those tracks in concert, although God Break Down is going to be played most nights I'd imagine. Oh well.

Best song on here is Ahead. Best songs across all 3 EP's are still Idea & Background imo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    My first impression is that they are 3 different albums, every album fits perfectly but if we change the tracklist to make a full album it wouldn't work
    But now i am not so sure about this, If we check the lyrics, maybe he is telling us a story, this is a crazy story, but I want to create a playlist when the album comes out on friday, using the 3 albums and maybe Hesitations marks

My idea is that maybe HM+ this 3 albums is like a fragile 2 (a conceptual album)
    The story is about a person and his problems with addictions , the relationship, his selfdestruction and his way to the "light"
    This is NIN we're talking about. If anything, this person gets just close enough to see the light, only to fall back into their own personal hell even worse than ever before and having almost made it out makes their suffering that much more terrible.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    This album feels much more like an ALBUM to me than the first two did. I’m not sure if that’s because it was labeled as an album, or if it’s because the songs flow better.

I also like this one better than the first two. I felt like the first two weren’t much of anything new for NIN except maybe Lovers and Dear World, but THIS is new territory for them. REALLY loving Over and Out. holy shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Getting through my sixth listen of the day. L O L it's the best NIN release in 19 years. WTF. How did this happen.

I guess I can say that I am slightly in the "I wish this had one or two more songs," camp, but it's still early in my listening, and basically I just want MORE of this.

"Over and Out" is so good. Aphex Twin vibes on the synths that come in at 2:12.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 06-19-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Absolutely love all of this, however those last 2 tracks I'm Not From This World and Over and Out? Dope AF and favorites for this audiophile!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    First impression , definitely my favorite of the 3 eps, and probably a highlight of post-fragile era NIN.

I appreciate the more abstract nature of the saxy third track. Almost freeform, I'd love to see more nin free-jazz that would be sort of the kind of left turn I've been longing for.

A few unique ideas in the production and a welcome return to some edge and aggression. This album feels a lot less poppy than the last several releases even if there's still a lot of pop.

Thanks Mr. Nin!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Finally got round to hearing it 5 minutes after I got up this morning. Just wow. What a great release, and relief. Hoping Over and Out isn't the end, but if it is, beautiful way to leave. Bought tears to my eyes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Okay, I reversed this section in Audition and I think it says, "Whatever's there for them, inside." WTF?!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Finally got round to hearing it 5 minutes after I got up this morning. Just wow. What a great release, and relief. Hoping Over and Out isn't the end, but if it is, beautiful way to leave. Bought tears to my eyes.
    Is there some weird notion that this is the last album or something?.

I saw two shows of the Wave Goodbye Tour 10 years ago and I have tickets for December, so

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    That's probably how i'll be listening to it all, honestly. One big album. Might toss a single track (like a Ghosts track or something similar) in between each EP as a "palate cleanser", but that's just a stray thought I had.

I was planning on putting Juno and the Halloween theme in between EPs.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i'm just gonna say it and you guys can laugh if you want, but the harmony on Over and Out sounds like it IS david bowie.

i mean i know it's probably not, but god damn.

also, i got to thinking about how the shape of the photos on the cover are reminiscent of the shape of one half of the db logo.

and i wonder if the pictures are about bowie: blackstar, people pointing at it, death, resurrection, into digital form.
    i can't help but feel like this is at least PART of the meaning of that series of images.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Anyone else feel like Shit Mirror has a weirdly like ... almost rockabilly feel to it? Like industrial ... rockabilly? Rhythmically it feels unusually like very retro rock, swung beat music for NIN, which is a great and crazy synthesis. Piggy obviously has a lot of swing to it but it's not at such a mid-fast tempo. The closest in feel is maybe Capital G but even that doesn't catch the strangely retro/rockabilly/glam vibe that those toms have for me.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 06-19-2018 at 03:05 AM.