Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rock books

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Heavier than heaven is pretty good, it's lot better than azzerad's book.

i just read "everything - a book about manic street preachers" for the first time in ten years (?!), gripping story, consistently funny (richey vs douglas coupland at a dinner party is pure gold), and actually quite frightening and sad once Richey starts to really hit the wall. It's about 4 friends from a small town in wales who aim to bring punk rock, politics and glamorous nihilism back to a UK scene dominated by US grunge and Manchester fixated druggy apathy. Things are going well until they slowly begin to realise that one of them actually walks the walk. I think it was out of print for a while back cheap 2nd hand copies seem to have appeared recently, now is the time to snap one up if you're at all curious. I've read an inexcusable number of rock bios and it's definitely one of the very best

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Mike Rutherford of Genesis (and The Mechanics of course) just released an autobiography entitled The Living Years. While it covers his years in both bands and as a musician, it's centered around the strained relationship between he and his father. This article written by Mike, separate from the book, sort of lays it out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 10-23-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This one is pretty essential, emotional and gripping. I'd always loved his music, but even after reading this I gained a new and deeper sense of respect of where those songs came from.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I absolutely love books about music. I have a pretty wide collection of them. Some of the best ones I read off the top of my head include:

Long Hard Road Out Of Hell - Marilyn Manson
    Heavier than Heaven - Charles Cross
    In Utero (33 1/3) - Gillian G. Garr
    Alice in Chains: The Untold Story - David de Sola
    Cured - Lol Tolhurst

I'm currently reading I Want My MTV, which is great. It has some awesome insight into videos and the history of the channel in general.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)