Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Was The Rollout For Pretty Hate Machine???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this may interest you but I have a a copy of the Head Like A Hole EP/Single/whatever you wanna call it, it has a little more information card inside in the style of a takeout food menu comparing each artist of TVT to a type of meal so for instance "Gil-Scott Heron black eyed peas", "Modern English" muffin.etc They compared NIN to the Pu Pu Platter. I wonder if that was diss at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCoz98 View Post
    Not sure if this may interest you but I have a a copy of the Head Like A Hole EP/Single/whatever you wanna call it, it has a little more information card inside in the style of a takeout food menu comparing each artist of TVT to a type of meal so for instance "Gil-Scott Heron black eyed peas", "Modern English" muffin.etc They compared NIN to the Pu Pu Platter. I wonder if that was diss at all?
    Would you be able to post up the image?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's easy to forget what the metal climate was in the early years of the 90s, but I know that in Europe it was a huge deal whenever NIN got on the pages of magazines such as Metal Hammer. There was a true pushback against "computer music" and it not being pure metal. Sounds laughable now, but it was a genuine issue, and music fans endlessly debated if you're a musician even if you're not playing a "real" instrument! It was serious!
    I think that's why there was not much love for NIN when they opened for Guns N Roses in 91, they were still seen as a computer band or synth band.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    It's easy to forget what the metal climate was in the early years of the 90s, but I know that in Europe it was a huge deal whenever NIN got on the pages of magazines such as Metal Hammer. There was a true pushback against "computer music" and it not being pure metal. Sounds laughable now, but it was a genuine issue, and music fans endlessly debated if you're a musician even if you're not playing a "real" instrument! It was serious!
    I think that's why there was not much love for NIN when they opened for Guns N Roses in 91, they were still seen as a computer band or synth band.
    In America the "real instrument" debate continued into the 2010s and only died after Skrillex got popular and EDM became the dominant music for a couple of years. As much as I dislike the genre as a whole, I'm glad it finally pushed that debate to the fringes and I no longer hear about it every time an electronic musician is brought up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I definitely see PHM as a synth record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah Pretty Hate Machine was a synth-pop record with guitars thrown on top. I love it but it was definitely pretty damn far from a metal album.