Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SOPA/Protect IP

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

SOPA/Protect IP

Why is this not in news headlines? Why does nobody seem to care?!?

This guy's video sums it up pretty well for those how aren't aware of this bill.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yeah, i've been talking to EVERYONE AROUND ME about it because that along with NDAA has been making me super stressed out. Anyways, it's terrible. I'm trying to not think about it until wednesday at least...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The general response I get about it is to "stop being paranoid". . .

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ugh, that's the worse. Thankfully people around me have been equally concerned. One conversation ended with "I'm treating this like a zombie apocalypse- when shit hits the fan, I'm going to create a small group of people to survive with, and don't worry, you're one of those people."

On a more serious note, my friend thinks that if this were to pass, nothing harsh would happen immediately because of elections, and it would only be a short matter of time before this affects the wrong person and gets HUGE lawsuit in action that will bring light to the issue and hopefully repealed....he's being more optimistic than i am, and i was called an optimist already by some people thinking that this shit can still be stopped somehow...

edit. YAY MY EYELID IS TWITCHING AGAIN! Just when i thought it was gone...I REALLY need to stay away from politics for a few days...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    The general response I get about it is to "stop being paranoid". . .
    I got the same reaction from my parents when I mentioned these bills to them, "It's no big deal, it'll only effect the pirating sites". None of my friends seem to care, especially since most like to "pirate".

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    A petition i actually have hope for!!
    https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...ation/g3W1BscR

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    sort of, it seems like they will just try to change things which is just as dangerous, instead of just dropping it all together. We need to keep an eye on on future legistations that will be trying to fight online piracy, make sure they aren't just other sneaky ways of potentially harming the internet.

edit- yeah seems like they are still going to be voting on PIPA
    Last edited by halloween; 01-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So I heard on Twitter that TheNINHotline is going to black out too against SOPA? Apparently, the website is soo useless, nobody bothered to tell us ON THE WEBSITE!!

Seriously, they should stop tweeting instead.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I would just like to add I have nothing against TNH, but I hate Twitter. It's not the best place to get the latest news. There is so much useless gossip / facebook status posts, it's not a place for "NEWS".

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Wikipedia and Reddit will be blacking out in opposition to SOPA/PIPA.

If only Google and Facebook could jump on board, there would be riots. And also lots of angry IT people getting complaints about the virus taking over Google, Wiki, and Facebook.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    So I heard on Twitter that TheNINHotline is going to black out too against SOPA? Apparently, the website is soo useless, nobody bothered to tell us ON THE WEBSITE!!

Seriously, they should stop tweeting instead.
    I'm pretty sure that people who visit the website will see the fucking blackout. And they'll have a lot more information about what's going on than what our Twitter followers will see. I think you're not looking before you leap here.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I would just like to add I have nothing against TNH, but I hate Twitter. It's not the best place to get the latest news. There is so much useless gossip / facebook status posts, it's not a place for "NEWS".
    It is when you only follow news sites, and not individual people.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Wikipedia and Reddit will be blacking out in opposition to SOPA/PIPA.

If only Google and Facebook could jump on board, there would be riots. And also lots of angry IT people getting complaints about the virus taking over Google, Wiki, and Facebook.
    I spoke too soon. Check the Google homepage.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Two bills before Congress, known as the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House, would censor the Web and impose harmful regulations on American business. Millions of Internet users and entrepreneurs already oppose SOPA and PIPA.

The Senate will begin voting on January 24th. Please let them know how you feel. Sign this petition urging Congress to vote NO on PIPA and SOPA before it is too late.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Craigslist has also gone dark. This is great!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Ars Technica isn't going dark, but rather devoting the day to only covering SOPA/PIPA-related issues and attempting to encourage balanced discourse on the issue.

http://arstechnica.com/staff/palatin...ins-at-ars.ars

The Oatmeal has a special anti-SOPA animated gif! http://theoatmeal.com/
    Last edited by bgalbraith; 01-18-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: i <3 theoatmeal

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    If only Google and Facebook could jump on board, there would be riots.
    For obvious reasons, it's actually a good idea to NOT have Facebook or Twitter go dark... and given that it seems everyone is redirecting to the petition on Google, I think it's important that it stays there too, not only so that people can google the terms "SOPA" and "PIPA" to find out what's happening.

However, I really do wish Youtube was joining in, in at least SOME capacity. Though I guess some of the best explanations of what SOPA entails are detailed in youtube videos... still, I think they should put up a banner of solidarity, and maybe dedicate their homepage to a collection of the best statements regarding the issue.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    For obvious reasons, it's actually a good idea to NOT have Facebook or Twitter go dark... and given that it seems everyone is redirecting to the petition on Google, I think it's important that it stays there too, not only so that people can google the terms "SOPA" and "PIPA" to find out what's happening.

However, I really do wish Youtube was joining in, in at least SOME capacity. Though I guess some of the best explanations of what SOPA entails are detailed in youtube videos... still, I think they should put up a banner of solidarity, and maybe dedicate their homepage to a collection of the best statements regarding the issue.
    It's been suggested before to have just a page to click through to get to the sites. I think that would be an excellent compromise. Just a black page ala Wiki's, with a link that says 'Continue to Google/Facebook/etc.' at the bottom.

And yes, something needs to happen with YouTube.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    These old, out-of-touch assholes in Congress don't understand how the internet works. This has been scaring me for months. Hope the Google petition reaches.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    It is when you only follow news sites, and not individual people.
    Exactly. I *primarily* follow news sites. The Atlantic, The Economist, TechCrunch, WaPo, Time, NPR, etc. have all been covering this. For months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I signed the Petition at the Google site Jan 18, 2012..........

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    In addition to signing petitions, it is easy to write directly to your senators and congressmen. If you don't know who they are go to blackened wikipedia (english) and type in your zip code. It will give you links to the people you should write to.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Google wussed out by not removing the search function today.

Hope they reconsider when the inevitable second protest happens after Congress' winter break and work on SOPA begins again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Following the Twitter feed @herderpedia is equally hilarious and frightening beyond belief.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Leave it to the United States to think it can police something as large and as untamed as the internet (which is still by most means in its infacny). Even if the bills pass, which I'm sure they wont. The government will make some work around deal and push its legislation trough in the end. Need an example?: Patriot Act.

However, even if this happens, and I'm pretty sure it wont unless it's accompanied by mass rioting and looting, people will still have free ways of getting all of the things they got for free before (speaking to people who download music and other media) and those who dont, will probably waste less of their time looking at memes.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    and the award for best anti-SOPA blackout goes to The Oatmeal: http://theoatmeal.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)