Thread: 2018 Taper Section

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)

2018 Taper Section

2018 Taper Section
    Intro
    ninlive is wanting to preserve every single show on the US Tour (and possibly overseas). Recordings don't always need to be "perfect," I am a person that loves to hear the stories that come with each tape and how they came to be. That is what makes taping interesting to me. I've always loved talking with other tapers about their experiences taping and I'd love to do that with the nin community. I want to propose that there is a traveling rig around the country for the US Tour. Although there is no official taping policy like in 2009 where you can bring hand held gear in no problem. There will have to be some ingenuity getting this stuff in. Thankfully, the equipment will fit in the palm of your hand. I have made some great tapes with the mic that will be provided since I started taping when I was 12-13. Fun fact, I worked a whole summer at a local grocery store to save up the money for this mic and a DAT recorder before I quit. LMAO. Trent has acknowledged the site on public sites such as reddit, and I've done a few things with the band. Sadly, I've never gotten a real response on taping policy. I know that he supports the site and likes that it gets the fans closer to the band in this type of interaction with being able to download the shows. I've felt that the recording of shows has just been an unspoken rule of, "if you get your gear in, they won't stop you from taping but won't help you in any regard." After 2009, they were signed to a record label and that also might be the reason that they don't have an open taping policy.

Equipment
    So, the mic is a Sony ECM-717 and the recorder is a Tascam DR-05. They both fit into the palm of one hand and you don't need any external batteries in order to run the recorder. The mic could clip to your collar or anything you wish. The user interface is very user friendly and it is truly a plug and play recording setup. I just want to be able to document all of the shows on the tour in some capacity. I don't care where you sit or if you think you can't make a great recording. It's the sake of being able to archive every performance. You'd be surprised of some recordings being amazing by recording from the back of venues.

The Project and Implementation

Just like the tour, it starts in Phoenix and ends in LA. I would love to send a box of goodies to one person in Phoenix and then it makes its way throughout the country to each show and gets recorded. The box content would be a 500GB hard drive in order to transfer the recordings of each show onto the drive, the recording device and mic and a journal.

The journal I think would just be a great way to experience NIN on the road without hitting each show. As I stated before, I love stories about the time leading up to the show and what the taper thought of the performance. Each person would create a log in it and then after you're finished with transferring the recording to the drive and such. You would send it to the next city for the next fan to use. In this journal would also be tips in order to get a good recording and get the gear into the show. You could also PM me if you'd like to speak about it. Each journal entry would also be added onto the source guide of the archive. Which I think would be an amazing addition.

I see there are a few people overseas that would like to use it. I have done this in 2013 in San Francisco and also 2014 with a fan who was going to multiple shows and got some great tapes. Just remember to take care of the equipment

You can't always expect others to tape the show. If you don't do it, the show may not have been documented. That's why I tape everything I go to and I have been really happy to do that. I know of tapers all around the country that may be taping shows. But if you'd like to get involved with some of this, please respond to this thread, PM me or email me. It would be great to interact with the nin community a little bit more and I think this would be a fun little project that would become something big at the end.

Thanks for reading this. I'll create a list of which shows are covered with this.

The List
    (you’ll see below which shows have been covered with the rig. Please get in contact if you want to participate!)

• Sept 13, 2018 - Phoenix, AZ, Comerica Theatre
    • Sept 14, 2018 - Phoenix, AZ, Comerica Theatre
    • Sept 18, 2018 - Morrison, CO, Red Rocks Amphitheatre
    • Sept 19, 2018 - Morrison, CO, Red Rocks Amphitheatre
    • Sept 22, 2018 - San Antonio, TX, River City Rockfest
    • Sept 24, 2018 - Memphis, TN, Orpheum Theater
    • Sept 26, 2018 - Atlanta, GA, Fox Theatre
    • Sept 27, 2018 - Atlanta, GA, Fox Theatre
    • Sept 29, 2018 - Nashville, TN, Ascend Amphitheater
    • Sept 30, 2018 - Louisville, KY, Louder Than Life Festival
    • Oct 09, 2018 - Washington DC, The Anthem
    • Oct 10, 2018 - Washington DC, The Anthem
    • Oct 13, 2018 - New York, NY, Radio City Music Hall
    • Oct 14, 2018 - New York, NY, Radio City Music Hall
    • Oct 16, 2018 - Brooklyn, NY, Kings Theatre
    • Oct 17, 2018 - Brooklyn, NY, Kings Theatre
    • Oct 19, 2018 - Boston, MA, Boch Center
    • Oct 20, 2018 - Boston, MA, Boch Center
    • Oct 22, 2018 - Detroit, MI, Fox Theatre
    • Oct 23, 2018 - Detroit, MI, Fox Theatre
    • Oct 25, 2018 - Chicago, IL, Aragon Ballroom
    • Oct 26, 2018 - Chicago, IL, Aragon Ballroom
    • Oct 27, 2018 - Chicago, IL, Aragon Ballroom
    • Nov 18, 2018 - Mexico City, Mexico, Corona Capital Festival
    • Nov 23, 2018 - New Orleans, LA, Saenger Theatre
    • Nov 24, 2018 - New Orleans, LA, Saenger Theatre
    • Nov 25, 2018 - New Orleans, LA, Saenger Theatre
    • Nov 27, 2018 - Irving, TX, The Pavilion At Toyota Music Factory
    • Nov 28, 2018 - Irving, TX, The Pavilion At Toyota Music Factory
    • Dec 03, 2018 - San Francisco, CA, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    • Dec 04, 2018 - San Francisco, CA, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    • Dec 07, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA, The Palladium
    • Dec 08, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA, The Palladium
    • Dec 11, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA, The Palladium
    • Dec 12, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA, The Palladium
    • Dec 14, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA, The Palladium
    • Dec 15, 2018 - Los Angeles, CA, The Palladium

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have tickets for Memphis, Atlanta, Detroit and NOLA. I really hope to meet up with some of you in my travels. I have not done that enough and would like to meet some fellow NIN fans and talk shop.

Watch this space for updates.

Ryan
    Last edited by ninlive; 09-15-2018 at 12:26 PM.