Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Art Director for NIN?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I was actually being snarky about printing the booklet. It really should have been included physically in the package. Glad I cancelled my order.

I may have seen your book on reddit? Perhaps I should get one, myself. Looks nice.
    I was excited when I saw that .pdf, thought it was what was going to come with the album. When I received my beat up, $80, artwork-less copy I ran here to make sure I hadn't just gotten a mistake. After some deliberation, I took the .pdf to a print shop and had it made. I do not regret my decision. Do I wish it had come with it? Fuck yes. Would that have made the $80 purchase worth $80...almost yes. But I've tried to stop cursing the darkness and, instead, light a candle.
    I say go for it. It really completes things.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I was excited when I saw that .pdf, thought it was what was going to come with the album. When I received my beat up, $80, artwork-less copy I ran here to make sure I hadn't just gotten a mistake. After some deliberation, I took the .pdf to a print shop and had it made. I do not regret my decision. Do I wish it had come with it? Fuck yes. Would that have made the $80 purchase worth $80...almost yes. But I've tried to stop cursing the darkness and, instead, light a candle.
    I say go for it. It really completes things.
    Omg

I just checked and that POS is STILL available on the nin store. Us early adopters really did get swindled based on the “limited” and mysterious nature of it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Omg

I just checked and that POS is STILL available on the nin store. Us early adopters really did get swindled based on the “limited” and mysterious nature of it.
    I mean...if we're defining "limited" as "something that is not unlimited" and "unlimited" as "infinite", then, technically...we shouldn't have had to pay $80 for Deviations 1.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I mean...if we're defining "limited" as "something that is not unlimited" and "unlimited" as "infinite", then, technically...we shouldn't have had to pay $80 for Deviations 1.
    It was an active and knowing screwjob.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Up until a few years ago, I thought I was done being surprised by album art/design. Occasionally, you'd get something insane like Peter Christopherson's Time Machines II or a really interesting deluxe packaging, but usually, the coolest thing you'd get is a print or a poster or some weird object. Then...the NTAE Physical Components started shipping and things were kind of redefined for me. I know some people didn't like the whole thing...can't figure out why exactly...but, for me, this set a new standard.
    I'm still so bummed there isn't one for the new album. I mean, at least we got the ones we got, but it would be a blast to have one last artefact to bring it all togeher.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    I'm still so bummed there isn't one for the new album. I mean, at least we got the ones we got, but it would be a blast to have one last artefact to bring it all togeher.
    Same here. I'm kind of surprised and actually wondering if Reznor's got something planned for this...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Same here. I'm kind of surprised and actually wondering if Reznor's got something planned for this...
    It would be cool if there was a surprise physical component that they secretly produced and just mailed to all of the fans who purchased a pre-order of Bad Witch from nin.com and/or bought tickets to the shows as a (another – haven't forgotten about The Slip and The Gift) thank you for the outpouring of support from TR.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It would be cool if there was a surprise physical component that they secretly produced and just mailed to all of the fans who purchased a pre-order of Bad Witch from nin.com and/or bought tickets to the shows as a (another – haven't forgotten about The Slip and The Gift) thank you for the outpouring of support from TR.
    No. Locking that kind of content behind a pre-order of a fucking vinyl record would be absolutely fucking bullshit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    No. Locking that kind of content behind a pre-order of a fucking vinyl record would be absolutely fucking bullshit.
    I just meant that it would be cool if he could somehow send something to the fans who would clearly be interested because they bought the album and/or went to a show. Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I just meant that it would be cool if he could somehow send something to the fans who would clearly be interested because they bought the album and/or went to a show. Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking there would be a physical component at the Physical World events, but that would be super-exclusionary for everyone who couldn't go.

I'm wondering if Bad Witch will contain whatever piece of info we need to utilize those codes from the AV PC.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I was thinking there would be a physical component at the Physical World events, but that would be super-exclusionary for everyone who couldn't go.

I'm wondering if Bad Witch will contain whatever piece of info we need to utilize those codes from the AV PC.
    I almost forgot about those codes....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking there would be a physical component at the Physical World events
    I think that was it, the budget for the components went into the printing of the envelope and thingies, and the listening stations to hear new songs.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The NTAE physical component is my favorite art from any band in years. It's brilliant and engaging and lets the art stand alone on its own which shows a huge degree of confidence in it. In a time where we get bland bookletless digipaks and boring cover art, having a band (especially one that's been around as long as NIN) showcase their album art in that way and let it stand on its own was immensely refreshing and set an impossibly high bar going forward.

Trent's mentioned the focus of the trilogy shifting and them moving away from the sci-fi concept narrative they were leaning into so I think that's a big part of why we're not seeing another component but also with what he described of the three -- with NTAE and AV both being searches for answers in different places and Bad Witch being the ugly truth that exists beyond the two -- not having a physical component could be a way of saying that the music itself is one, ie., they don't need a physical, tangible thing linking it back to reality because Bad Witch exists within reality, rather than the solipsistic schizophrenic nightmare of NTAE or the Year Zero-esque politically terrifying simulation of Add Violence. To exist in the physical world narratively both NTAE and AV need a separate thing to tie them into it, since they're fantasies. Bad Witch is the reality, it is the link to the physical world.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 thanks for your takes on these, they’re really fleshing the EPs out for me, I’m useless at lyric interpretation

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    It was an active and knowing screwjob.
    I disagree. I think it was an idea that went over budget, which was further hampered by incompetent fulfillment by a company that misrepresented itself, and in a situation like that, you can crash and burn in the name of art, or you can work with what you have to get out of a bad place.

To call it an active and knowing screwjob sure sounds to me like you think Trent had, from the start, intended for that whole debacle to be a debacle. Because who doesn't like being in charge of a project that goes off the rails? I know that when I've got downtime, I think, "How can I knowingly, actively screw people who like my work?"

But then maybe you've never been involved in a big project, and it might be hard for you to have any sympathy for the myriad ways they can go wrong, even when everyone involved has the best intentions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I disagree. I think it was an idea that went over budget, which was further hampered by incompetent fulfillment by a company that misrepresented itself, and in a situation like that, you can crash and burn in the name of art, or you can work with what you have to get out of a bad place.

To call it an active and knowing screwjob sure sounds to me like you think Trent had, from the start, intended for that whole debacle to be a debacle. Because who doesn't like being in charge of a project that goes off the rails? I know that when I've got downtime, I think, "How can I knowingly, actively screw people who like my work?"

But then maybe you've never been involved in a big project, and it might be hard for you to have any sympathy for the myriad ways they can go wrong, even when everyone involved has the best intentions.
    Maybe Paul can chill now.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post

I think if this was the case, it would have been nice for Trent or somebody to come out and say as much. I don't think anyone ever intended for the preorders shitshow (ie. the delayed shipping and packages arriving damaged), but I also don't think the lack of packaging/artwork, the $80 price tag, and the "limited" label were due to some kind of unforeseen circumstances and last minute rush-jobbing.