Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attending multiple NIN shows in a row

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Question Attending multiple NIN shows in a row

Myself, along with some family and friends, are currently planning to attend all three shows at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. No doubt others on ETS plan to do the same this tour cycle. I have a question for everyone: do you personally think it's worth seeing multiple shows in a row? To those of you that have watched multiple shows in a row, can you describe your experience at all? I imagine it might be a little less exciting each show, but does it still get you intensely thrilled every time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My two cents: During Wave Goodbye, seeing as many shows as possible was huge because each night and each setlist felt special. LITS, however, was very production-intensive and felt much less organic, kind of pre-packaged.

Best advice I can give if you want "excitement" is to avoid setlist.fm and this site like the plague. But realize that nightly setlist variations can be rare depending upon the circumstances and the nature of the tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another thing that has been beaten to death on this site is the fact that TR has historically closed shows with the same suite of 3-4 songs. Many fans seem to have grown tired of this, have begged for things to be mixed-up a bit, and have even claimed (!) to have left shows early 'to beat traffic' or other nonsense.

If this describes you, seeing shows back-to-back could be a bit of a disappointment or even a buzz-kill.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
    Myself, along with some family and friends, are currently planning to attend all three shows at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. No doubt others on ETS plan to do the same this tour cycle. I have a question for everyone: do you personally think it's worth seeing multiple shows in a row? To those of you that have watched multiple shows in a row, can you describe your experience at all? I imagine it might be a little less exciting each show, but does it still get you intensely thrilled every time?
    If I could go every night to a NIN concert, I would. In fact, I've often said if I had a Tardis, that is what I would do! For me, the second, third, etc. shows are not any less exciting. Yes, I still get intensely thrilled every time! It's hard to describe it, but if I had to try I guess its is like a wonderfully intense high drug rush (I don't do that, so that is why I said "guess"). I just feel so energized and good at the concerts. I wish I could feel that way every day! Have a ton of fun!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I saw them three times in a row when they were touring with Soundgarden. Even though it was basically the same set list, I had a lot of damn fun each night.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm expecting minimal production on this tour, and given the multiple shows in some cites, it seems likely that this tour will have the largest set variety since 2009.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    the benefit of seeing the show multiple times in a row, even if there is no various in setlist, is that you can play around with various vantage points

e.g. night 1, elbows up as far up front as possible; night 2 in front of soundboard; night 3 in balcony

With NIN I'd expect 1-3 songs swapped out per night (e.g. Piggy vs SICNH), but would love to be surprised here.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I'm expecting minimal production on this tour, and given the multiple shows in some cites, it seems likely that this tour will have the largest set variety since 2009.
    Didn't really pan out this way for last year's festival shows.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    With NIN I'd expect 1-3 songs swapped out per night (e.g. Piggy vs SICNH), but would love to be surprised here.
    I have never seen SICNH. I am praying that he does it in Vegas.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I can't imagine him doing piggy 3 nights in a row these days, but hey who the hell knows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Another thing that has been beaten to death on this site is the fact that TR has historically closed shows with the same suite of 3-4 songs. Many fans seem to have grown tired of this, have begged for things to be mixed-up a bit, and have even claimed (!) to have left shows early 'to beat traffic' or other nonsense.

If this describes you, seeing shows back-to-back could be a bit of a disappointment or even a buzz-kill.
    Honestly, though I have seen them three times (BYIT, LITS, Tension), I have never been bothered by these tracks being played. They're just too much fun to hear live and to jump around to.
    the benefit of seeing the show multiple times in a row, even if there is no various in setlist, is that you can play around with various vantage points

e.g. night 1, elbows up as far up front as possible; night 2 in front of soundboard; night 3 in balcony

This is actually what I was thinking to begin with, and one of the arguments I used to convince everyone to go to all three with me lol I'm glad you literally mentioned the three very locations that I picked as well.

Thanks for the responses everyone! The people I'm bringing to these shows have never seen NIN live before, and they are thrilled to finally have the chance. We can only hope for some difference in setlists, but even if they're all relatively similar, I imagine switching up the vantage point will make the show a ton of fun every night. I'm definitely excited to see them in a smaller venue, because the other three times I saw them were in arenas.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The fest shows aren't a good comparison. Limited set lengths and audience makeup (a lot of casual fans) keep fest sets closer to a greatest hits set more than anything. These shows will differ in that they can play longer than 1:15 and the audience will be made up of people familiar with 90% of the catalog. While no one knows for sure, I think there will be some variation from night to night, especially with a stripped down production.

That said, I saw two nearly back to back Tension shows and enjoyed both. Having a different vantage point helped (one show was relatively close stage right and the other was lower bowl behind the sound booth). Go to as many as your schedule / wallet allows. Who knows how many tours we'll see in the future.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Like others have mentioned, be prepared for similar setlists with minor variation, but know that it's possible with a) the size of the venues and b) multiple nights in the same place that you might get radically different main sets.
    The only time I was able to see NIN twice in a row (same venue, Aragon Ballroom, for Wave Goodbye) both nights were amazing, and not just because the setlists were in fact vastly different. I've gone to multiple shows in the same tour where the setlist was song-for-song exactly the same. Still had just as much of a blast at the second show. Because it's NIN.

My advice: enjoy yourself, get lost in the moment, and if you're able or would like to try different spots (that all depends on what you're physically up for, though).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    That said, I saw two nearly back to back Tension shows and enjoyed both. Having a different vantage point helped (one show was relatively close stage right and the other was lower bowl behind the sound booth). Go to as many as your schedule / wallet allows. Who knows how many tours we'll see in the future.
    Yes! When I go to multiple shows for any band, it is nice to change up the vantage point. I like going to one show up close and one from the sound booth/back to get the entire stage view.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    The fest shows aren't a good comparison. Limited set lengths and audience makeup (a lot of casual fans) keep fest sets closer to a greatest hits set more than anything.
    I also did the 4 shows on the NIN/SG 2014 tour and the setlists didn't change much AT ALL. I chased that goddamn assault setlist with all the money I could throw at it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I would seriously hope that it being theatres and a stripped down set up would mean they get a little weird and loose with the sets again. Last years were ideal for festivals, but the one Webster Hall set was basically a tweaked version that still managed to be better just by mixing up a handful of songs. That said, ever since my first NIN show I've had a standing policy of seeing as many dates as I possibly can manage per tour and I've not regretted it yet even when it's caused tons of stress.

There's nothing else like NIN live, there's no telling how much longer they'll do shows with this intensity and if you can make it to multiple dates of a theatre run, just do it. I've already had enough amphitheatres for one lifetime. The level of immediacy, energy from the crowd and craziness of the show thanks to the small size of these venues will probably make 90-100 minute sets feel like five minutes, see as many as you can, don't have your phone out for half the show and enjoy it while it lasts since he's already back on his bullshit of "IF we tour again" (so much for the "small runs annually" idea I guess). Even if they take a break and come back within a couple of years, there's no telling what size/scale/style of show they'll be doing, and while the big production of something like Tension is amazing to see pulled off, a tight, explosive, intimate show with nothing but the rail between the band and the crowd is something really special.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yeah, but they did so few dates and most of the shows were festivals.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I've seen them on back to back nights and gotten the exact same setlist. And I'd do it again. But that was during NIN/SG with the complicated screens and shit, so they were pretty limited in what they could do. That being said, I'll be at all three nights in Vegas, both nights in NYC, and all three nights and Chicago.

For me, personally, it is definitely worth it. Because there is nothing else in life that is as enjoyable to me as this shit is. Which I know sounds weird and dumb, but is absolutely the truth.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 05-24-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wave Goodbye shows were different and you really did want to be there for as many as possible as a fan, just look at the insane setlists and the venue sizes...

Got tickets for all the Los Angeles shows. J&MC were a big seller for me. If sets are exactly the same or change very little. Will gladly be selling off tickets for the days that are less convenient to go to to folks that missed out on pre-sales and online seats. Been lucky enough to have seen them many times now, and being honest, haven't been impressed with their output since YZ until the most recent tracks.

Anywho, it depends on how much you like the material being promoted, thirst to see the band, and feasibility.

This is a funny topic of discussion with seasoned fans. There's an argument to be made though for new blood enjoying these songs. How many people are experiencing these songs for the first time?
    Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 05-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am seeing them twice in one weekend. Louder Than Life and Nashville. I'm okay hearing the same songs both nights. Louder Than Life being a festival I think is a shorter set. Either way, I am pumped.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yes, I enjoy catching multiple shows in a row so I can appreciate the nuances of each performance.

My ultimate goal is to be present for an unexpected surprise (Saul Williams in Atlanta) or random act of god (lightning stoppage in Raleigh), or to follow a tour to see how the show evolves over time.

There are a few occasions where I'm not interested in an opening act & lament having to queue early to get a decent spot, but those instances are few & far between. Even when the setlist is static, I still get excited because the performance will always be cathartic for me. That said, I will admit to leaving early during "Hurt" to avoid traffic leaving a show.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've never left a show early to beat traffic. But I am also always trying to get a setlist, guitar pick, or some other kind of loot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I've never left a show early to beat traffic. But I am also always trying to get a setlist, guitar pick, or some other kind of loot.
    I really have no clue how someone could leave the show early to beat traffic. I guess if you're just not that big of a fan? I just feel like NIN shows aren't common enough to just walk out because they're playing the common tracks. I know I haven't seen them as many times as some, but sheesh lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Attending multiple NIN shows in a row

I've only seen them once but I am seeing them both nights in NYC, once solo and once with a friend. I'm assuming the set lists will be mostly identical but I'm looking forward to it. If he does a much different set of songs, great, but I'm assuming two nights were necessary to meet demand since RCMH a relatively small venue in a large city, and that it isn't about playing two wildly different shows. I'd just like to make up for some lost time.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-24-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    During the 2005 club tour I was fresh out of college and working a new job and couldn't see both nights they played the venue here in Atlanta. I forever regretted it because they changed the setlist up quite significantly, and the show I went to was incredible, but of course x2 is always better . I would hope that with them playing multiple dates in just about every city they won't be repeating the setlist each night, as I'm sure they are more than well aware a great deal of fans plan on going to each night in their city. Also since it's likely they won't be locked down by some sort of LITS or Tension setup to deal with, which was amazing in its own way.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I went to both shows at Soma in 2005 and it was totally worth it. My memory is not great but I feel like the shows were similar but not the same, if that makes sense. I'm thinking this fall tour will be similar to the 2005 shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My wife and I are also going to Chicago but for Friday and Saturday. We debated making the trip for thursday too. Last year we went to New York and Chicago. It was worth it, they played Reptile at NY and Somewhat Damaged and Background World at Chicago. Its worth it just to hear one old amazing song or one new amazing song mixed in. Im curious how it will be with the nights back to back though, excited for that!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I saw the same NIN setlist twice in 94 and 95 and didn't even REALIZE that it was the same setlist. i was 14.

But, as an adult, seeing tool play the same setlist twice caused me to stop going to see them.

Of course, this is just me and i'm talking about how i PERSONALLY feel about these things. i do realize that a LOT of people go to, 7, 8, 9 shows on tours where the set doesn't change much if at all and fucking LOVE it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I saw the same NIN setlist twice in 94 and 95 and didn't even REALIZE that it was the same setlist. i was 14.

But, as an adult, seeing tool play the same setlist twice caused me to stop going to see them.

Of course, this is just me and i'm talking about how i PERSONALLY feel about these things. i do realize that a LOT of people go to, 7, 8, 9 shows on tours where the set doesn't change much if at all and fucking LOVE it.
    Funny you bring up Tool, because I can totally relate. I actually saw Tool for my second time last year and I was thrilled to see them again, but it was so expensive and they played a similar setlist as the first time I saw them, which left me slightly disappointed. I saw them again at Northern Invasion not even a couple weeks ago, and though the setlist wasn't too different, they played Sober, so I left pretty happy.

In the end, I'm much more of a die hard NIN fan, so I really don't think I'd care if it turns out to be the same setlist. I also can't wait to see my friends and family react to the show. We will actually have a different group each night, which is awesome. F*******k I'm just so excited I can't stop talking about it lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Attending multiple NIN shows in a row

Quote Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
    In the end, I'm much more of a die hard NIN fan, so I really don't think I'd care if it turns out to be the same setlist. I also can't wait to see my friends and family react to the show. We will actually have a different group each night, which is awesome. F*******k I'm just so excited I can't stop talking about it lol
    I'm sure our clinical-level obsession with NIN is probably fucking with the brains of everyone posting on this board regularly since Bad Witch and the tour were announced .

I've been posting on NIN boards on and off since 1996, originally on the nineinchnails.net board (probably). Did I just forget to grow up?!

Edit: a fine snapshot of the olden days:
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-25-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going to the two shows in Irving TX and River City Rockfest in San Antonio TX. I'm so fucking excited. 3 NIN shows in one year.