Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Attending multiple NIN shows in a row

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just for fun, I looked up the two NYC shows from the With Teeth tour ... it seems like out of about 20-22 songs a night, 6-7 of those were unique each night, so if you go to both shows, you wind up with a mini-setlist of unique songs. Obviously no way to tell for this tour, but if they're still doing a lower-tech approach, there's a lot of room to change up the setlist if TR & AR wanted to.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The biggest thing with setlists to me is that if you get the same ones, you’ll probably still get a lot out of the show, but if you skip a consecutive night and then see the set you missed and it’s different and/or better, you’ll not be able to get that experience back. I went to Riot expecting the same set I’d seen at Panorama and instead got Somewhat Damaged, the album version of Day the World Went Away and the live debut of Background World, one of the most magical moments I’ve ever gotten to experience.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    From my experience, when they schedule multiple shows back to back in the same city, they usually know they will have return customers and change the set up slightly to make it worth it if multiple people are attending.

When I saw them back to back in Toronto 2005, the sets were so drastically different between each night.

However, on the flip side, I find if you are attending multiple shows on an arena tour, you tend to get a more static setlist. If you plan on attending multiple shows on an arena or festival run I find it's better to attend 1 at the beginning of the tour and 1 at the end. For some reason, they usually add a few different songs in place of others as the tour goes on with bigger shows.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Went to all four of the New York Wave Goodbye shows and have never once regretted it. The setlists on that tour...

With us moving into the first proper headlining tour with the +Atticus lineup (aside from some spur of the moment gigs between festivals), I'm hoping that we get longer setlists with more Trilogy material and deep cuts. Hell, considering what an ordeal the whole "physical world" presale ended up being for some of us, it would be nice to see them play some crazy shit as a reward for our dedication. At the very least, with most venues hosting back-to-back shows (or more, in Chicago and LA's cases), it seems fair to expect some variation in the sets of the simultaneous gigs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I can confirm that attending multiple nin shows in a row is worthy of your time. While 2009 was the optimal time to do so, there is reason to believe 2018 will, at the very least, be the most optimal time since then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One of my most fun NIN experiences was seeing them at Aragon during Wave Goodbye, getting out of the show, and getting right back in line for the next show. We camped out on the sidewalk all night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    I can confirm that attending multiple nin shows in a row is worthy of your time. While 2009 was the optimal time to do so, there is reason to believe 2018 will, at the very least, be the most optimal time since then.
    I'm thinking the sets will resemble the 2005 club tour where they swapped out 4 or 5 different songs every other night. I would love to get some deep cuts from The Fragile! I don't see them doing more than 20 songs (not with two opening bands) but it would be great if they did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The only back-to-back NIN shows I've ever seen were Auburn Hills-Toledo on the LITS tour. Toledo ended up being a unique show for various reasons, so it really felt like two completely different experiences. I feel like there will be a lot of diversity in the setlists this fall; there's really no reason to play multiple shows in each city otherwise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saw two LITS shows back to back, Calgary and Edmonton, back in 2008. Then a third in December in Kelowna. The third show had no unique songs except two Ghosts songs.

But it the first two had plenty. Both sets were 30 songs and we got 8 unique songs at the second show including the first ever performance of Meet Your Master and a rare performance of Getting Smaller.

I assume we’ll get closer to 20 songs in Vegas and I’d be thrilled with 8 unique songs between shows. Nearly 50% unique would be great. But I’m only going to the Wed/Sat shows.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm doing multiple shows back to back for the first time this year, too. I'm seeing both nights in Phoenix. The first night I will be pretty far back in a seat, the next night I am doing floor. It's my first time seeing two shows on the same tour, let alone back to back, and my very first NIN show on the floor (been waiting for that one since my first NIN show 13 years ago). I can't wait. I don't even care if he does the same set each night (ok, I might be a little bummed), I'm just happy to be there.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So this thread totally got me thinking about the Soma shows in San Diego back in '05. I went to the NIN Tour History page to look at the set lists. Holy shit. Not only were they awesome shows but my god did we get lucky with some amazing set lists. I am really hoping that this tour cycle is going to be the same for the back to back shows!! Take a look at these set lists.

Night 1
    Night 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    So this thread totally got me thinking about the Soma shows in San Diego back in '05. I went to the NIN Tour History page to look at the set lists. Holy shit. Not only were they awesome shows but my god did we get lucky with some amazing set lists. I am really hoping that this tour cycle is going to be the same for the back to back shows!! Take a look at these set lists.

Night 1
    Night 2
    Those are some impressive setlists! Man I'd love for this tour to turn out something like this. I want surprises and good memories!

On another note, family and friends keep asking me about how we traveled to Chicago to get tickets for a show, and when I tell them that not only is the show not until October, but we're going to three of them, their faces are pretty priceless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Newbie here!

Heading to the Royal Albert Hall and then straight onto a magic train from London to Paris for the show the next day. I've only liked NIN about a year and I've NEVER followed a band one date to another before. Proper NIN'd.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^welcome to the forum, I'm at Meltdown and RAH, never seen NIN abroad, would like at some point to see them in the US (either Red Rocks, Vegas or New York would be preferences)

I saw them 3 nights at Brixton Academy in 2007, here are the setlists, 7th 8th 10th 11th march- good times! (I missed the first one sorry to say, should have gone 4 times)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-7bd6c6a0.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-63d6c6a7.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-7bd6e264.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-43d6ffdb.html

One night we genuinely thought it was TDS all the way through!
    Although I have to say seeing them 3 nights in the UK on the 2014 tour, the setlists were different enough to make it worthwhile

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^welcome to the forum, I'm at Meltdown and RAH, never seen NIN abroad, would like at some point to see them in the US (either Red Rocks, Vegas or New York would be preferences)

I saw them 3 nights at Brixton Academy in 2007, here are the setlists, 7th 8th 10th 11th march- good times! (I missed the first one sorry to say, should have gone 4 times)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-7bd6c6a0.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-63d6c6a7.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-7bd6e264.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-43d6ffdb.html

One night we genuinely thought it was TDS all the way through!
    Although I have to say seeing them 3 nights in the UK on the 2014 tour, the setlists were different enough to make it worthwhile
    There were certainly a lot of solid setlists back then I see. I would be absolutely blown away by something like that happening. I'm also hoping to hear a good amount off of the new EPs. I love the new single, so I'm hoping to hear that and Ahead of Ourselves for sure (I listened to it at the Physical World event in Chicago; it's a solid track).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    I went to both shows at Soma in 2005 and it was totally worth it. My memory is not great but I feel like the shows were similar but not the same, if that makes sense. I'm thinking this fall tour will be similar to the 2005 shows.
    I went to the same two shows on that With Teeth club tour (No LA shows that leg) It's funny how memory works. I had to go cause Trent advertised that we was going to play whatever he wanted to since it was a club show and he wasn't being tied down to performing his usual set list due to production. I didn't regret it. Years later i found "Reflecting In The Chrome" A NIN live archive! So of course i went to see what was played at all the shows i attended just for fun. I've listed the two set lists to the Soma shows just to show what a best case scenario could be like with two back to back shows. (Hopefully Formatting works out):

SOMA Day One / SOMA Day Two
    Pinion / Besides You In Time (Intro)
    Wish / The Frail
    Sin / The Wretched
    The Line Begins To Blur / You Know What You Are
    March Of The Pigs / The Line Begins To Blur
    Something I Can Never Have / March Of The Pigs
    The Hand That Feeds / Piggy
    Terrible Lie / Terrible Lie
    Burn / Burn
    Closer / Closer
    Home / Reptile
    Even Deeper / Big Come Down
    Reptile / Gave Up
    Love Is Not Enough / Dead Souls
    Suck / Suck
    Gave Up / No, You Don't
    The Day The World Went Away / Even Deeper
    Hurt / Wish
    Starfuckers Inc / Hurt
    Head Like A Hole / Hand That Feeds
    / Head Like A Hole

I went only having one ticket in hand - and managed to get the 3 other tickets i needed for myself and gf at the time. It was pricey but i remember being so happy that they played such drastically different set lists. Sure a few of the same songs were played both nights but compared to past tours, this was unprecedented!

I've seen NIN two other back to back times worth mentioning.

I was at both the Vegas shows for the Tension tour. Didn't expect him to go crazy But was fortunate to be there when he did. Look it up. Night one was the typical Greatest Hits set with Hesitation Marks songs. Night two was more of a Hesitation Marks Deep cut night!

I was also at the Wake Up Early Access show in Bakersfield and the FYE festival show in LA. The early access show was longer (Which makes sense) but what was great about these two shows is that they moved enough songs around in the beginning that it was exciting not knowing what was going to come next!

Will this happen this tour? Hopefully ... but probably not, so don't get your hopes up. Best case scenario, they will swap out a few songs here and there so enjoy as it much as possible.
    Last edited by Damage; 06-07-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    One of my most fun NIN experiences was seeing them at Aragon during Wave Goodbye, getting out of the show, and getting right back in line for the next show. We camped out on the sidewalk all night.
    That my friend is pretty hardcore!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    the benefit of seeing the show multiple times in a row, even if there is no various in setlist, is that you can play around with various vantage points

e.g. night 1, elbows up as far up front as possible; night 2 in front of soundboard; night 3 in balcony
    Besides the different point of views which I agree make for an interesting show, another thing i haven't heard is drinking.

I would do one show sober so you can just focus on the show and retain as much as possible and then for a show were you're in the back have a couple of drinks and just have fun. I've had some really fun times drinking at shows if you can get to a bar or waitress without disrupting your show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    I went to the same two shows on that With Teeth club tour (No LA shows that leg) It's funny how memory works. I had to go cause Trent advertised that we was going to play whatever he wanted to since it was a club show and he wasn't being tied down to performing his usual set list due to production. I didn't regret it. Years later i found "Reflecting In The Chrome" A NIN live archive! So of course i went to see what was played at all the shows i attended just for fun. I've listed the two set lists to the Soma shows just to show what a best case scenario could be like with two back to back shows. (Hopefully Formatting works out):

SOMA Day One / SOMA Day Two
    Pinion / Besides You In Time (Intro)
    Wish / The Frail
    Sin / The Wretched
    The Line Begins To Blur / You Know What You Are
    March Of The Pigs / The Line Begins To Blur
    Something I Can Never Have / March Of The Pigs
    The Hand That Feeds / Piggy
    Terrible Lie / Terrible Lie
    Burn / Burn
    Closer / Closer
    Home / Reptile
    Even Deeper / Big Come Down
    Reptile / Gave Up
    Love Is Not Enough / Dead Souls
    Suck / Suck
    Gave Up / No, You Don't
    The Day The World Went Away / Even Deeper
    Hurt / Wish
    Starfuckers Inc / Hurt
    Head Like A Hole / Hand That Feeds
    / Head Like A Hole

I went only having one ticket in hand - and managed to get the 3 other tickets i needed for myself and gf at the time. It was pricey but i remember being so happy that they played such drastically different set lists. Sure a few of the same songs were played both nights but compared to past tours, this was unprecedented!

I've seen NIN two other back to back times worth mentioning.

I was at both the Vegas shows for the Tension tour. Didn't expect him to go crazy But was fortunate to be there when he did. Look it up. Night one was the typical Greatest Hits set with Hesitation Marks songs. Night two was more of a Hesitation Marks Deep cut night!

I was also at the Wake Up Early Access show in Bakersfield and the FYE festival show in LA. The early access show was longer (Which makes sense) but what was great about these two shows is that they moved enough songs around in the beginning that it was exciting not knowing what was going to come next!

Will this happen this tour? Hopefully ... but probably not, so don't get your hopes up. Best case scenario, they will swap out a few songs here and there so enjoy as it much as possible.
    Yeah you've definitely had some stellar setlists I see! Awesome that you were able to get tickets on the spot and make those shows work out for you two! I mean, I hope for deep cuts and switching it up a bit at these shows, but I also have people going that have never seen NIN/aren't as obsessed as I am, so I'm also fine with a solid greatest hits setlist with some surprises mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    Besides the different point of views which I agree make for an interesting show, another thing i haven't heard is drinking.

I would do one show sober so you can just focus on the show and retain as much as possible and then for a show were you're in the back have a couple of drinks and just have fun. I've had some really fun times drinking at shows if you can get to a bar or waitress without disrupting your show.
    Funny you bring this up, as this is yet another thing that I was already planning. With going to three shows, I plan to go to at least one completely sober. Plus, I have people going that have been sober for years, so I for sure want to do a sober run with them. It's great having all of these options

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've never legit gotten drunk at a show. I don't think NIN is the band I would do that for. I do understand why people would smoke at shows. Haven't done that before either. I imagine Tension would have been a trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    Same here, except instead of "camping out on the sidewalk all night" we slept in a nice luxury hotel downtown and took in a full day of sightseeing and exotic cuisine. But we definitely got back in line at some point.