Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Who the hell is singing at the end?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Is there a way to listen to this? Video taken down.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    General coolness:

1. Hearing a new song by a band you've been following for 25 years and going, "huh, that's different."
    2. Fucking saxophone!
    3. BEATS.
    4. Atypical lyric structure
    5. Trent actually singing
    6. A fairly short song that wanders and changes
    7. Did I mention the saxophone?
    8. Badass breakdown at the end
    9. The purposefully off-putting autotune on the "no no, no no, no no..." part
    10. Odd little sounds going on in the background we'll still be finding a year from now

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Is there a way to listen to this? Video taken down.

Will probably be gone soon

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’m looking when NIN try something brave. Prefer NTAE to most of AV for that reason; and this song is definitely brave too

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Oddly, I'd imagine.

Although...may I direct everyone's attention to Nine Inch Nails headlining the Montreux Jazz Festival in July?
    Yeah, I kind of hope they don't play this one when I see them. It just doesn't seem like it would work live.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I’m looking when NIN try something brave. Prefer NTAE to most of AV for that reason; and this song is definitely brave too
    I think this is the bravest thing yet, NTAE while was less acessible, was in the more style of TDS, so while it was abrassive, it was also kind of demanded.

This though, this is one of hte weirdest NIN has done in a long time. And it makes me pumped to wonder how rest of the album is.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Yeah, I kind of hope they don't play this one when I see them. It just doesn't seem like it would work live.
    Oh man, I feel like it's going to REALLY work live. The big question is who is going to be saxophoning it up? Robin??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After cranking it on the A2s I take back all my negative/doubtful comments. This has won me over. NIN never fails to surprise and also deliver. Fucking badass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post

Will probably be gone soon
    Thanks a lot man. This gave me a chance to grab it and play with my A2 speakers. God what a different experience!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I responded more to the new track than anything on NTAE, or AV for that matter.... My hopes for Bad Witch are extremely high now!

Also, I think this will be amazing live!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Who the hell is singing at the end?
    Some guy named Trent.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I responded more to the new track than anything on NTAE, or AV for that matter.... My hopes for Bad Witch are extremely high now!

Also, I think this will be amazing live!!!
    I'm right there with you. After taking my shitty apple earbuds off and plugging this into some worthy speakers this sounds incredible. Unlike anything I've ever heard from NIN ever but also retaining everything I love about NIN at the same time. Amazing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While I really do enjoy this track, and am glad they're doing something that sounds almost completely different from any NIN song ever, I'm a little conflicted about the fact that it's such a Bowie rip.

But yeah. I don't think we've ever had Trent singing like this on a NIN track. And the sax! I guess we're gonna get "Purest Feeling" on a 30th anniversary PHM reissue

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    While I really do enjoy this track, and am glad they're doing something that sounds almost completely different from any NIN song ever, I'm a little conflicted about the fact that it's such a Bowie rip.

But yeah. I don't think we've ever had Trent singing like this on a NIN track. And the sax! I guess we're gonna get "Purest Feeling" on a 30th anniversary PHM reissue
    "Maybe Just Once" or GTFO!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm not even sure it's that much of a Bowie rip. Listening to it initially I did, but after putting it on the good speakers and really listening to it sounds more like Trent is just singing in a different register to suit the mood of the song itself and not intentionally ripping Bowie off for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    vinyl is GREAT AND CERTAINLY CONVENIENT, BUT THE IDEAL WAY I’D HOPE A LISTENER EXPERIENCE MY MUSIC IS TO GRAB the EARBUDS that came with their phone or some cheap replacements they bought at the gas station, surf over to a leaked copy on YOUTUBE, make sure auto-play is turned on, troll the comments for a bit, and then scroll over recommended videos of cats (WITH YOUR feet propped up on your FUCKING record player) AND GO ON A JOURNEY WITH ME.
    -TRENT REZNOR

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    I'm not even sure it's that much of a Bowie rip. Listening to it initially I did, but after putting it on the good speakers and really listening to it sounds more like Trent is just singing in a different register to suit the mood of the song itself and not intentionally ripping Bowie off for the sake of it.
    I wasn't just referring to the voice. I mean, it really, really is reminiscent specifically of Sue (Or In a Season Of Crime) from Blackstar. The drum beat, the overall droning ambience that the song consists of. It's like a sludgier, more 90s industrial version of Sue's jazzier vibe (like, say, a Trent Reznor remix of that Bowie song ). The most unique aspect of it is the acid-y kind of squelch bass line, and the more typical NIN vocals chanting at the end.

I'm really enjoying this unexpected conceptual sequel to A Warm Place!

(Seriously, though, more of this!)
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-16-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So far I haven't seen anyone mention this so maybe I'm crazy but does anyone else pick up on COIL vibes during that half-way part of the song? Specifically Ape Of Naples kind of shit.

EDIT: Oh and I fucking love the track. It's amazing and is the most refreshing NIN I've heard in a very long time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The NIN style really kicks in at the end of this, leaving me to wonder what comes next. In context with the album this is going to be awesome.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Its good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This song is awesome and I definitely get Lost Highway vibes. Different and experimental in a good way and definitely not predictable, like Trent had feared!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Did anyone actually get an official download link for the single? Some dude is claiming he got his now due to time zones.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The song might actually work better live because he would probably sing it in his natural singing voice

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The song might actually work better live because he would probably sing it in his natural singing voice
    I disagree. He was faithful to the whispers when he performed The Lovers live. And the falsetto

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    i like that voice in this song tho

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is this available anywhere besides YouTube since they keep taking it down? PM me plz.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    I disagree. He was faithful to the whispers when he performed The Lovers live. And the falsetto
    He didn't do the whispers live in "The Lovers". He played them from a handheld tape recorded into the mic. Or that was all an illusion and they were just playing from the soundboard. Either way I fucking loved it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    Is this available anywhere besides YouTube since they keep taking it down? PM me plz.
    From up in the thread: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ccuog6bfcxexc9x/door.zip
    password: etsshare

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    From up in the thread: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ccuog6bfcxexc9x/door.zip
    password: etsshare
    My hero!!!