Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    I DEMAND THAT THIS SONG BE REPLACED BEFORE THE RELEASE!
    this post sucked until this line. That cracked me up and realized it was a solid act of trolling. Well done.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That is definitely the weirdest NIN track I have heard. Going to take a few more listens to digest. Similar feeling as NTAE for me, which I grew to love.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    I DEMAND THAT THIS SONG BE REPLACED BEFORE THE RELEASE!

Anyway, it looks like it's been taken down. If it pops back up, I'm going to try to refrain from listening to it. I really want to go into this album unspoiled.

EDIT: Missed the new links. Still, I'm going to wait it out.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I literally just finished watching Westworld S01E09 moments ago, went to ETS, downloaded the song and now I'm kind of having an existential crisis. I mean, these lyrics can't be a coincidence, right? Am I even real?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm slightly worried about the fact that the other track (from the teaser) sounds a lot similar to this one
    What teaser are you talking about? I must have missed this

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Whoa...seems like I wasn't too far off with my experimental jazz/miles Davis prediction yesterday! This is exactly what I envisioned the lp sounding like.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Idk how this song will translate into a live setting.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    It was shared on a radio station's Facebook page. Shazam identified the track as "Ahead Of Ourselves":

Video + Audio

Audio

And here's the rip that TheBang shared earlier of "God Break Down The Door":

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w7h786...zQrdX-E2iY.m4a

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Definitely not what I expected, but as with any artist releasing something like this....

The fact that I know it'll piss off a lot of fans sorta makes me like it more? Not always the case (sometimes I'm in that group) but meh, it is what it is. People will whine, nobody will care, we'll all move on.

DAT SAX THOUGH.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/91xsandiego...5632363027894/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Reminds me of David Bowie's Sue (Or In A Season of Crime). Blackstar album version.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Wow I love the new direction. Thanks for the link!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    Pretty ballsy to have a drum and bass track as a single.
    I wouldn't categorize this as drum n bass at all. The somewhat chaotic percussion pattern does not mean it falls into that category. Not for me at least.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So the ghost of Bowie has possessed Trent?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    initial reaction (could very easily change over time)

way too repetitive lyrically/musically - a common theme for a while now unfortunately
    Last edited by center27j; 05-16-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Wow I love the new direction. Thanks for the link!
    I doubt the rest of the album will sound like this. Judging by the snippet of the other track.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is amazing. It's not a 'radio friendly single' that's for sure.

Rolling drum&bass esque rhythm undernearth, odd cycling electronica undertone, and then that weird constant saxophone being played - and Trents bowie esque singing.

NIN has always been about change - and this is about the most radical change on musical direction i could have imagined!

Bravo, i like it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So... that was... not what I was expecting. Totally agree with all the Bowie comparisons. I like that they really went in another direction. I will have to hear it in context.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1 more hour til lunch when I can blast this in my car...could only listen to a snippet in the bathroom so far.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    This is amazing. I love literally everything about this. It's like a Radiohead/Bowie collaboration. And it's interesting to hear him sing with vibrato. He's always seemed to go out of his way to keep his voice flat in recordings, though a natural vibrato slips into live performances, and of course, his backing vocal for Tori Amos. I'm really digging this whole thing.

P.S. What's up with so many people not knowing how to open a .zip file?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While it takes some time to digest the change in direction i very much approve! Better this than another Came Back Haunted. Is that some sort of de-tuned 'closer' synth at the end?
    Last edited by Reaps; 05-16-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So, everyone who said Atticus was keeping NIN from changing it up has got to be eating their words after this trilogy. I have no idea what this song would be like live. Trent wasn’t kidding when he said they decided to delay it to keep it from feeling like more of the same and I’m excited to see what this full thing is like, because that was basically “NIN does Blackstar” and that is not a bad thing to be.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Rolling drum&bass esque rhythm undernearth, odd cycling electronica undertone, and then that weird constant saxophone being played - and Trents bowie esque singing.
    Don't forget the marimba! It's there till about 1:45 or so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am not sure what I think since I need to listen a few more times, but 100% I am happy with the change in vocals. I am a little tired of the talking, whispering non-singing that seems to have been on the rise since Year Zero.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    I like the second half a lot more than the first, but the first seems like a straight copy of a Bowie song. Don't know how to feel about that.
    I think people have it wrong here. I don't think he's copying Bowie; I think this is a song about Bowie and his passing and how Trent has dealt with it: "Remove the pain and push it back in." I don't think this is the "direction" of the album; I think this song is a one-off in which Trent pays tribute to/deals with the loss of a friend. That's what I believe.
    Last edited by streetman; 05-16-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I am a little tired of the talking, whispering non-singing that seems to have been on the rise since Year Zero.
    How many post-Year Zero tracks can you name that actually feature that style though?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I actually really love the whole crooning style of singing he does in the first half. Never would have thought he would pursue that kind of singing style, but he sounds awesome. I could easily to a whole album of him in this mode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    I think people have it wrong here. I don't think he's copying Bowie; I think this is a song about Bowie and his passing and how Trent has dealt with it: "Remove the pain and push it back in." I don't think this is the "direction" of the album; I think this song is a one-off in which Trent pays tribute to/deals with the loss of a friend. That's what I believe.
    you are looking too much into it, maybe inspired but it has nothing to do with Bowie's death. And the teaser is similar to this song, so its not a one-off

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    listened now a few times, but that second part of the song is dope.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So is that a computer aided vibrato or has TR been holding back all these years?