Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Impurities/pressing on the cheap aside, it's more that limited pressings in the dozens to hundreds have more chances of sounding worse, depending on whether the plant is any good about letting a dozen or so scratch vinyl go in the trash so everything warms up. Color vinyl being a factor isn't really a thing, black vinyl is colored. Vinyl is naturally clear.
    Last edited by polski; 05-30-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Black seems to be considered better by many, audio-wise as well as lasts longer and more durable due to higher carbon content. Discogs has had discussions on it. The actual plant pressing vinyl is also very important.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/true-col...colored-vinyl/
    Last edited by neorev; 05-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Eh. Honestly, I don't hear a difference in the quality between my colored and regular black pressed vinyl. I tend to favor more colored records if possible though and may even spend the extra bit of cash to get it in a particular color ... artist like Boris, Prurient, Neon Indian, Death Grips, Jerry Paper and Ariel Pink are some of the most recent examples.

I personally can't wait for this colored version. Makes the anticipation for Bad Witch even greater for me.

Also is there a Discogs thread? Feel free to friend me if anyone has an account!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I mean, if you're super worried about sound quality you might choose 24/96, 24/48 lossless over vinyl anyway. I'm not really sure NIN masters are drastically different for vinyl beyond killing freqs that make the needle jump.

Most NIN redbook masters seem pretty bad, though. *shrug*

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Got my cd for 6.97 on amazon!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    still official preorder at 12€ here

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who don't see this song being played too much next tour?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    Probably not. If it has anything at all out of the usual vocally, Trent doesn't sing it live. I hope we're wrong though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Actually I'm seeing Ilan's bleeding hands and Trent shouting NOT QUITE MY TEMPO.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Probably not. If it has anything at all out of the usual vocally, Trent doesn't sing it live. I hope we're wrong though
    It’ll probably replace that Bowie cover song they played last year.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    It’ll probably replace that Bowie cover song they played last year.
    Which I wouldn't mind, I didn't really care for that cover as much as I wanted to. Great production and arrangement, but there's something about it translating live with Trent's voice that didn't 100% click for me. The Bowie original is amazing though and one of the best album closers I've ever heard. I'm all for them incorporating back I'm Afraid of Americans in the set though if we're taking Bowie covers!

Either way, hopefully they do find a way to incorporate God Break Down the Door into the set this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    God break down the door. (:

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Decided to do something fun and nerdy tonight with this song. I played the song while watching . It works fairly well for the most part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Does sound like live drums and you're right, Ilan is probably the likeliest candidate. I guess now that it's actually out on legit streaming platforms I can reach out on Twitter and ask him.

Best NIN in yeeeeaaaaarrrrrssss! Excited.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yep, it started in $12 and has been going down. Here's the link, just in case https://amzn.to/2LyUali
    The LP also dropped https://amzn.to/2sOTHnr
    Last edited by alfonso99; 06-08-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Just preordered for 5.95€, also on amazon.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Probably heard a dozen times over the last 18 hours, and reaction has gone from - 'no, not for me, too much jazzy Blackstar' (I like some of that album, but it gets too free-form for me at times), to 'what a fresh approach, kudos'. The more I hear it, I hear NIN-isms all over the place, little bit of squealing guitar/synth, the marimba in the background, seemingly out of place noises here and there, all building to an epic crescendo. Can't work out if it's a drum machine or not...that would take quite a bit of programming, so wonder if Ilan was allowed to get his hands dirty in the studio for once...pretty sure it's not Dave Grohl again anyway...!
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Does sound like live drums and you're right, Ilan is probably the likeliest candidate. I guess now that it's actually out on legit streaming platforms I can reach out on Twitter and ask him.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was programmed drums. "Not Anymore" features some live sounding drums, but nobody is credited for them, so I imagine that's something that Trent & Atticus arranged instead of having someone do it. It's also possible that Trent played them himself. People sometimes forget that Trent seems to know percussion pretty well. After all, he's the guy who gave us that great drum finale at the end of "Piggy".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    so wonder if Ilan was allowed to get his hands dirty in the studio for once...
    Are you not aware that Ilan played live drums on "I Would For You"?

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    "Not Anymore" features some live sounding drums, but nobody is credited for them, so I imagine that's something that Trent & Atticus arranged instead of having someone do it.
    Trent made heavy use of Addictive Drums on The Slip. It wouldn't surprise me if he used that or another drum production plugin.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-08-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Are you not aware that Ilan played live drums on "I Would For You"?

Trent made heavy use of Addictive Drums on The Slip. It wouldn't surprise me if he used that or another drum production plugin.
    The only live drums on "I would for you" are the crash cymbals towards the end, or something way way buried. No way any snare in that song was played live.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 06-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    The only live drums on "I would for you" are the crash cymbals towards the end, or something way way buried. No way any snare in that song was played live.
    it's possible it was and was just edited/replaced using drums-to-midi

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's possible it was and was just edited/replaced using drums-to-midi
    Ok yes. But in the traditional sense, whatever that means, the only live-ish drum set sound to me on that song is the crash at the end. But I guess it would make sense as anyone could go hit the crash once.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Just preordered for 5.95€, also on amazon.
    How the heck is it so cheap for everyone but the UK? It's about double that price here... and I don't think Amazon price-matches anymore.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    How the heck is it so cheap for everyone but the UK? It's about double that price here... and I don't think Amazon price-matches anymore.
    it'll probably go down. NTAE on CD on amazon uk is only £6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    The CD is 17.20 effing euro on Amazon Spain. Right now it would cost me way less to order it through Amazon Germany, shipping costs included.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm quite surprised to see this single is getting a negative response/ratings on iTunes.
    Most of them are not even worthy to mention but just surprised to see this level of... disappointment from the casual fans.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I'm quite surprised to see this single is getting a negative response/ratings on iTunes.
    Most of them are not even worthy to mention but just surprised to see this level of... disappointment from the casual fans.
    There's ratings on Itunes ? But anyway, youtube is good enough to judge that. And the rating is pretty good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    http://www.nin.wiki/I_Would_For_You

It specifically lists Ilan as playing live drums. If it was just crashes, I'm sure it would have been listed as such. He's also listed as playing toms on "Copy of a" and "Came Back Haunted". My guess is that the drums are just heavily processed to blend with the other electronic drums.

...or converted to MIDI as eversonpoe suggested.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-08-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    There's ratings on Itunes ? But anyway, youtube is good enough to judge that. And the rating is pretty good.
    In my opinion, I wouldn't trust YouTube rating at all. When it comes to professional music, only the worst of the worst gets slightly bad ratings.

And let's be honest, outside of the hardcore fan community, the song haven't met a lot of enthusiasm. None of my friends who are interested in NIN thinks it's a great song, and some of them think it's quite bad. As should be expected, considering it's very different from every other NIN song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok yes. But in the traditional sense, whatever that means, the only live-ish drum set sound to me on that song is the crash at the end. But I guess it would make sense as anyone could go hit the crash once.
    There's also an audible acoustic hi-hat at the same time the crash enters. Maybe the hole kit is there, but buried under the electronic drums.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    In my opinion, I wouldn't trust YouTube rating at all. When it comes to professional music, only the worst of the worst gets slightly bad ratings.

And let's be honest, outside of the hardcore fan community, the song haven't met a lot of enthusiasm. None of my friends who are interested in NIN thinks it's a great song, and some of them think it's quite bad. As should be expected, considering it's very different from every other NIN song.
    Well I don't know. I have friends interested in NIN who thinks it's great. Mainly thanks to the fact that it's very different. Purely anecdotal, but it just depends on the circle. Seems great if it is original, unexpected and divisive. As long as its 100% what T&A want to share with us.

Youtube has still 1k dislike, which is sizeable. But who cares about the general opinion anyway.. Anybody can just blurt whatever the moment the track is out. And then go on with something else.