Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I’ve come back to the song many times over the last few days now. It’s easy to see why people are split on it. For me it has raised my excitement for the new record, and whatever other new NIN stuff we will (hopefully) get.

Im really hoping to see footage of new material live on the tour, I really wish there was a Canadian date or two, hopefully there be more touring in 2019 very interested to see what this song feels like live!

I really appreciate the new energy he’s putting into Nine Inch Nails. In a world of fast paced “now now now”, instant everythin where relevancy is gained and lost so quickly - finding a new place in all that is exciting. I have high hopes for this record! I got the $175 package and have zero regrets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gotta say, after numerous listens I don't like this track at all. I would say I like 90% of all NIN songs. I feel like this is just an homage to Bowie and not a single. Still looking forward to the album (of course).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    That guitar hit at 2:02 always sounds like a heavily distorted "Gooooooooood..." to me, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why isn’t anyone talking about the God reference? I think that’s the most relevant thing here.
    Not whether it’s an LP or EP.
    Not his crooning like Bowie.

Nine Inch Nails has always represented a very anti-God, anti-religion perspective, and for the first time really....

Trent is asking for God’s help to break down the door?
    A God mention in song title?

Woof. Missing the bigger story here.

I need more thoughts on things that matter.
    And more shutting the fuck up about shit that doesn’t.
    Last edited by Buzz; Yesterday at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Why isnít anyone talking about the God reference? I think thatís the most relevant thing here.
    Not whether itís an LP or EP.
    Not his crooning like Bowie.

Nine Inch Nails has always represented a very anti-God, anti-religion perspective, and for the first really....

Trent is asking for Godís help to break down the door?

I need more thoughts on things that matter. And more shutting the fuck up about shit that doesnít.
    I posted this way up the thread. But the short answer is: Trent does believe in God, but (as you would expect from the lyrics, some of which are personal and others which are about a character, like on TDS), he's not a fan or a member of any particular religion.

The songs that do sound pretty anti-religion still seem to be about a betrayal of faith, which would require there to be some kinda faith in the first place to be betrayed. Like "Terrible Lie" or raging against the hypocrisy of right-wing Christianity in "Heresy," or about "God himself" reaching his arm through to push you down on "The Wretched," they don't question the existence of God, but the nature of him/it and why existence is so punishing. And then there are much more recent songs like "Find My Way" where there's a very uncontroversial affirmation of faith (oh dear Lord, hear my prayer).

"Heresy"'s famous line about god being dead is actually printed as "your god is dead," in the lyric sheet, meaning the God of the religious right, even though the "your" is only sung once at the end.

Here's a quote from an article:

Brody Dalle: T-Dog, do you believe in God?

ďI do. I take comfort in thinking thereís some purpose and higher power of some sort. Iím not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. Iíve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and itís beyond just physics and biology.Ē

Link: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/int...s-trent-reznor

I'm not religious, and the idea of a God doesn't make much sense to me, but I do find myself kind of searching for something like what he describes there after having some really, really rough times myself. It seems like it would be a comfort.
    Last edited by Pbgut; Yesterday at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Find My Way has him saying “Lord my path has gone astray” and he’s mentioned in interviews from the past 8 years that he’s got a belief in some form of a higher power. You can be anti-religion and anti-dogma but still have some sort of personal belief system, and I’d be willing to hazard a guess that being a recovered addict boosted that belief in something being out there.

Terrible Lie has always come across to me as a turmoil-based relationship with a god you struggle to believe in and The Wretched references the feeling of “God himself” oppressing you. The idea of a higher power opening the floodgates leading to answers you don’t want is pretty intimidating IMO and not really at odds with anything from NIN before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I posted this way up the thread. But the short answer is: Trent does believe in God, but (as you would expect from the lyrics, some of which are personal and others which are about a character, like on TDS), he's not a fan or a member of any particular religion.

The songs that do sound pretty anti-religion still seem to be about a betrayal of faith, which would require there to be some kinda faith in the first place to be betrayed. Like "Terrible Lie" or raging against the hypocrisy of right-wing Christianity in "Heresy," or about "God himself" reaching his arm through to push you down on "The Wretched," they don't question the existence of God, but the nature of him/it and why existence is so punishing. And then there are much more recent songs like "Find My Way" where there's a very uncontroversial affirmation of faith (oh dear Lord, hear my prayer).

"Heresy"'s famous line about god being dead is actually printed as "your god is dead," in the lyric sheet, meaning the God of the religious right, even though the "your" is only sung once at the end.

Here's a quote from an article:

Brody Dalle: T-Dog, do you believe in God?

“I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology.”

Link: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/int...s-trent-reznor

I'm not religious, and the idea of a God doesn't make much sense to me, but I do find myself kind of searching for something like what he describes there after having some really, really rough times myself. It seems like it would be a comfort.

This is way more interesting than the other crap people are talking about.

Is this album going to be not an affirmation of God, but kind of a grown persons acceptance?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This is way more interesting than the other crap people are talking about.

Is this album going to be not an affirmation of God, but kind of a grown persons acceptance?
    Trent mentions that the whole trilogy is about trying to find their (I guess NIN's, he doesn't specify) current identity and how they fit into the world now on that new Zane Lowe interview. And how Bad Witch is a rejection of whatever "easy" or "self-destructive" answers they found to those questions on the earlier EPs.

So, to me, taking that literally, GBTDT is a rejection of the idea that any answers to NIN's (or perhaps music's or art's) value in this high tech, STEM focused, anti-liberal arts world will be found "here," perhaps meaning "here in this framework we've been looking at these questions of our worth in" or maybe "here on Earth in the physical, non-spiritual world." He's asking, I think, for a higher power (whatever that is, exactly, I don't know) for a revelation or an epiphany, because he has failed to find any meaningful answers to his inquiry, and (maybe) feels purposeless, trapped or doubtful of his place in the world as it is in the late early 21st century.

I'm personally not smart enough to be a computer programmer or anything like that. As a kid, in the 90s, I naively thought the old world of retail stores, the humanities, and music (which is so important to me) would coexist beside the new world of where engineering was a very visible structure supporting newer ways of socializing and networking, maybe out of naive, scared hope. Instead, the world I grew up in is rapidly disappearing, and I find myself feeling like an old man in the first half of my 30s at times. I weirdly relate to the questions posed by Trent, who's about 20 years older than me.
    Last edited by Pbgut; Yesterday at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    He's asking, I think, for a higher power (whatever that is, exactly, I don't know) for a revelation or an epiphany, because he has failed to find any meaningful answers to his inquiry
    I think this is absolutely right on.
    I don’t want to get into a long winded diatribe about God and morality, or claim to know the artists mind.
    I see this as kind of a formal acceptance of a higher powers wisdom.
    He went looking for the answers elsewhere but found silence.
    Ironic that he’s now looking to Gods help to break down the door.
    A formal submission really.
    Last edited by Buzz; Yesterday at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've just received an official download link from <customerservices@bsimerch.com>. on 5/23 of all days. (sorry, its just that ETS' conspiracy theories are infectious)

and i still like this song very much.
    Last edited by baudolino; Today at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, a sad thing happened. I started the song again, and I didn't want to finish it. I don't feel it's a bad song. It's not a song I care to listen to. Usually, NIN songs always feel better "in context", so I might listen to it again in the next couple of months. But right now, I don't want to play this song.
    Last edited by PhoenixML; Today at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    I've just received an official download link from <customerservices@bsimerch.com>. on 5/23 of all days. (sorry, its just that ETS' conspiracy theories are infectious)

and i still like this song very much.
    Same. A bit late but still nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Well, a sad thing happened. I started the song, and I didn't want to finish it. I don't feel it's a bad song. It's not a song I care to listen to. Usually, NIN songs always feel better "in context", so I might listen to it again in the next couple of months. But right now, I don't want to play this song.
    So, you didn't hear the amazing ending to the song, then? That's the best part and sounds like "classic NIN" at the end (including the singing). If you're denoted to this band enough to post on a message board, maybe you should try giving the song at least one entire chance? Just a friendly suggestion, maybe you still won't like it, but that ending is killer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Gotta say, after numerous listens I don't like this track at all. I would say I like 90% of all NIN songs. I feel like this is just an homage to Bowie and not a single. Still looking forward to the album (of course).

is 'a warm place' less of a homage? jw

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, I meant "I started the song again"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    is 'a warm place' less of a homage? jw
    I'd say that's more of a rip-off that wasn't pursued in litigation. Either way, I prefer teitan's version.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    This was added to the bbc radio 6 music morning show ďjust addedĒ playlist yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/playlists/zzzzvm