Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe some fans who don't like the new song can be directed to this poignant essay:

I am Trent Reznor this is how I write songs
    Make all my verses sound like this
    Then I throw in some random percussion
    So that you can dance to it
    Weird guitar!

[Pre-Chorus]
    Then my voice starts getting louder
    Then I bring it back down
    Its almost time to hear the chorus
    But first let's listen to this weird sound
    (Weird Sound)
    ...what the hell was that?

[Outro]
    Let's end the song with creepy piano
    Now it sounds like a haunted house
    Let's end the song with creepy piano
    Yeah that sounds really awesome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamclassic View Post
    This sounds fantastic.
    Yeah, it was.
    I highly suggest you to do something similar since you seem to care about this kind of experience; just create the right situation, take your time and go with it, without compromises, if possible.
    In my opinion, this is what Trent suggested with the whole "vinyl statement": just care enough about the music to make it relevant, instead of treating it like any other piece of entertainment thrown at you; The things you care about enough to do something like this are probably pretty limited anyways, so you wouldn't want to throw the chance away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Glad to know I'm not the only one here. I almost caved last night too. Reading comments and articles all over the web about it that had the video embedded into it. At one point I even pressed play and like 3 seconds in I stopped and said "NO, must control myself"... so I heard the first few notes lol...... I think I can wait from here on out.

I said somewhere earlier in this thread (which is totally lost in the shuffle now) that the hardest period to get through, is the first 48 hours, and if you can get past the first 2 days, it's smooth sailing from there, and this happens to be around the 48 hr mark since the "leak" came out, and I don't feel myself having any cravings anymore. So I think I can push this aside for the next few weeks now. New Ghost record will be dropping in 2 weeks anyway, and then a week after that new PIG record, so It's not like I'll be starving for new music. I'll have plenty to get me through until Bad Witch drops.
    The first few days is definitely the worst part, but reading all these opinions just made me think it will be very much worth to wait it out, and enjoy some of the (probably) most esoteric music NIN ever dropped. I'm not so worried about liking it or not, I respect these guys enough to take anything they do as something to learn from.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Rumor is that this LP is about his neighbours... although unverified.
    In no way am i trying to call you out, but that sounds unlikely.
    I mean anything's possible.

But first off, why set up a "story," however abstract, and do the whole thing with the physical components and hire 42 to build that machine, only to have the ending be about Trent Reznor's neighbors.

And secondly, if it's him BITCHING about his neighbors, well, that would probably cause some personal bullshit in the neighborhood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    The smooth vocal crooning is a bit jarring for a NIN song, but not necessarily bad; there's a clear Blackstar influence here that has me both intrigued and a bit hesitant for what may or may not be around the corner...
    to me, this song is more akin to less than, in a sense that it's not that indicative of the album's content. i think this song is meant to be jarring not only by itself but within bad witch. have to admit, for as much as i liked blackstar, i do hope i'm right.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My wife said this new song (vocals) reminded her of this video.... (BTW we both love this song/version and even contemplated making this version our first dance song)

Last edited by snaapz; 05-21-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    to me, this song is more akin to less than, in a sense that it's not that indicative of the album's content. i think this song is meant to be jarring not only by itself but within bad witch. have to admit, for as much as i liked blackstar, i do hope i'm right.
    A guy who listened to the two new tracks at a presale event for the tour has said one was an instrumental with a sax at one point and one had some experimental/glitched vocals

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Shazamed the instrumental at the Chicago Event. They played Ahead of Ourseves and Play the Goddmaned Part

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    After several listens now, this track has really grown on me. I really like it. Like most of you, I was surprised at first by how different it was. I'm now surprised, despite its uniqueness, how well it fits with the other EPs. It feels like it belongs next to Dear World, Shes Gone Away, Not Anymore and The Idea of You. Stoked on God Break Down the Door, and can't wait for the rest.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    This song is going to be amazing live.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    In no way am i trying to call you out, but that sounds unlikely.
    I mean anything's possible.

But first off, why set up a "story," however abstract, and do the whole thing with the physical components and hire 42 to build that machine, only to have the ending be about Trent Reznor's neighbors.

And secondly, if it's him BITCHING about his neighbors, well, that would probably cause some personal bullshit in the neighborhood.
    I didn't mean it. I was kidding. Recalled a news alert about TR having problems with a neighbor and thought it would be a pretty funny sight him pounding away at 16th notes on the guitar picturing his shitty neighbour's face.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    My wife said this new song (vocals) reminded her of this video....

As far as the vocals go, I hear a sort of 80's new-wave vibe. I do like the song but think it will be better appreciated when heard in the context of the entire album.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I love this new song! Over the years as I've matured, so has nin. Been a fan since release of happiness in slavery, so I've been through the cycles and people's dislike of really great works like with teeth and everything, just to point out the obvious. I really hope this is played at at least one of the shows I'll be attending in LV or Chicago. I'd like to hear how it is sung live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    This song is going to be amazing live.
    I feel like this song actually might not translate well to a live setting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftshoe18 View Post
    I feel like this song actually might not translate well to a live setting.
    I think they are gonna try it and its gonna be 'meh'...

I have listened to the song a second time now, and I do like it. I think it will fit in pretty well with the other songs on the record, based on what I heard at the Aragon. Really looking forward to the release!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree with the earlier mentions of Chris Connelly-I got a bit of a Damage Manual feel from the song or like a remix of Damage Manual-but it also reminds me of Radiohead's Sit Down/Stand Up too. I like the song and it does feel like something new from TR/AR.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This song is really jarring when it comes up randomly while I'm listening on my headphones at work. It's really growing on me, too. It's different, and I think that was necessary. Very, very necessary. At least right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool (psychedelic ?) song !!!

It's rapid but slow at the same time !

Do you copy ?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    As far as the vocals go, I hear a sort of 80's new-wave vibe. I do like the song but think it will be better appreciated when heard in the context of the entire album.
    i don't know why, but that song has always been so creepy to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eferre View Post
    Cool (psychedelic ?) song !!!

It's rapid but slow at the same time !

Do you copy ?
    I know what you mean! Every time I hear it I picture something chaotic happening in slow motion

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Fantano said great things about the new track (minute 18:46).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Good list of tracks on this roundup ... Anderson PAAK, Death Grips, Nine Inch Nails and Disclosure.

Everything he loves about it is exactly my thoughts as well.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    On the day the track came out, I checked youtube and it seemed like everyone was digging it. Checked back today and now I notice lots of bitching about this track...The general consensus on youtube seems to be Atticus ruined NIN and Trent needs to fire him lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    I agree with the earlier mentions of Chris Connelly-I got a bit of a Damage Manual feel from the song or like a remix of Damage Manual-but it also reminds me of Radiohead's Sit Down/Stand Up too. I like the song and it does feel like something new from TR/AR.
    i mean, wouldn't it be cool if Connelly did something with Reznor?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Track has clicked with me on a whole new level after a bunch of listens over the weekend. This is the real deal.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    If the album keeps pushing the enveloppe as much as this, I'm predicting better-than-usual reviews, along with potentially a new-found, wider, contemporary audience for the band.
    I've been waiting a long time for NIN to step out of their comfort zone and this finally seems like it's going to be the next big bold move.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The thing that sticks out to me is that, regardless of whether or not people like the track (and people seem feel strongly about it in either direction), everyone seems to agree that its reminiscent of Blackstar and also that it's very weird/different. So essentially, people are saying that the track is, simultaneously, and notably, both familiar and different. Balancing that contradiction in a convincing, coherent way is Trent hitting a sort of artistic sweet spot.

I can't wait for Bad Witch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Love this song/direction. CAN'T WAIT.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I’ve come back to the song many times over the last few days now. It’s easy to see why people are split on it. For me it has raised my excitement for the new record, and whatever other new NIN stuff we will (hopefully) get.

Im really hoping to see footage of new material live on the tour, I really wish there was a Canadian date or two, hopefully there be more touring in 2019 very interested to see what this song feels like live!

I really appreciate the new energy he’s putting into Nine Inch Nails. In a world of fast paced “now now now”, instant everythin where relevancy is gained and lost so quickly - finding a new place in all that is exciting. I have high hopes for this record! I got the $175 package and have zero regrets

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gotta say, after numerous listens I don't like this track at all. I would say I like 90% of all NIN songs. I feel like this is just an homage to Bowie and not a single. Still looking forward to the album (of course).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    That guitar hit at 2:02 always sounds like a heavily distorted "Gooooooooood..." to me, haha.