Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a Bowie track or a collaboration that's been re-recorded.
    Agreed. I bet we hear more on this soon.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just had my first listen, not sure what I think yet. Intrigued though for sure, will listen to it at least a few more times.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Not the first time TR did a Bowie esque song
    *A Warm Place* anyone?

Any link to todays interview outside of itunes

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    Agreed. I bet we hear more on this soon.
    I feel like if this were the case he would have mentioned this during the interview dedicated to the song. It still sounds like NIN, just *very obviously* inspired by Blackstar. Similar to how TPD was so jungle/DnB infused.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    well shit, I didn't know this was a thing! didn't see it announced anywhere, and bought the deluxe edition thinger on nin.com! now I want this one

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Update: I totally caved. Trent released it. He wants me to hear it. Right? OK, I'm going with that.
    Not I!

Still going strong. Once you get passed the first 48 hrs the hype dies down and it's smooth sailing. I went 2 weeks without hearing APC's "The Doomed" in hopes to hear it live for the first time at the Aftershock festival. Turns out, APC and NIN clashed at the festival, so I didn't even get to see APC live at all. That night at the hotel I just loaded The Doomed up on my ipad to see what I had been missing all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    This is really hard not listening. Even got the email saying, here it is, listen! I think I will cave in the next hour while I'm in the airport.
    You can do it! We're the only ones left. Stay strong.

We're in this together now!

EDIT: Spoke too soon, or at least posted too soon before reading the rest of the thread, you already listened to it... well, so much for that.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-17-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Thanks very much!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mod edit: Nope
    Last edited by TheBang; 05-18-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Mod edit: Nope

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Any link to todays interview outside of itunes
    There's an embedded player right there in the itunes link, lets you listen to it from any browser

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://www.revolvermag.com/music/se...-ticket-policy

some video footage of todays interview

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    If this was considered the best song to use as a lead single then I can't imagine how weird the rest of this album is going to be

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    If this was considered the best song to use as a lead single then I can't imagine how weird the rest of this album is going to be
    I hope it gets weird as fuck and goes to untamed territories

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I hope it gets weird as fuck and goes to untamed territories
    Isn't that what happened when NTAE came out? Everyone had this "WTF was that" look on their face after they listened to the EP.
    I remember the first couple times I listened to that EP, I was just so put off with what I just listened to. I wasn't sure if it was good or not at that point.
    I look back now and laugh because NTAE is brilliant. Amazing. Spectacular. Best work he's done since the Fragile. I listen to it now and wonder why my ears couldn't process it's greatness upon first/second listen. It's quite a normal NIN listening experience now when you think about it. It's hard, it's fast, it has everything we want in NIN. I don't know why we were all so put off by it's sound at first. It's as close to TDS/Broken NIN that we will ever get again. Maybe that's what was shocking.

Curious to see how the initial reactions for Bad Witch are going to be. Something tells me it's going to have a similar vibe upon first listen. I just hope it's good... I'm really hoping I don't hate it. But I'm worried to say the least. I don't want a record full of "Blackstar" songs from Trent... It's fine if he does it for 1 song, but the way he was speaking in that interview, the whole record is going to sound something out of left field. There is no way he busted out the sax for just 1 song. There is going to be a re-occuring theme here. The good thing about NIN records are, they are very diverse. The first single usually does not mean how the whole record is going to go. When Copy of A came out for Hesitation marks, I was really hopeful that the whole thing was going to sound like that, it was far from it.

Same happened with Add Violence, when Less Than came out, it was the only track on the whole record that sounded like that. Discipline as well with the Slip. NIN records are very diverse and there are usually a few different styles of music on the records. Hoping it will be the same again for Bad Witch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not hearing Bowie, I'm hearing Scott Walker - but then I don't really know Bowie's material 'that' well.
    I for one love it though.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

p.s. in case anyone was wondering why @Victor Newman is being quite so...well, the way he's acting - it's because he's cashpiles.
    I hope he is cashpiles to be honest. cashpiles was one of the few members from Vancouver on this forum I never got to meet. He private Messaged me one day asking to meetup, and we never really made a concrete effort to make plans. I kind of regret it. I need more real life NIN friends...

There used to be so many members from Vancouver here, and they all seemed to drop off the face of the planet...
    calling out and Sending out the NIN symbol in the sky to @ibanez33 @Fixer808 There was another guy named Warped Servant (?) I think as well. Can't seem to get his tag right. Oh well...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is fucking awesome, but it's hard to even think of it as a NIN song until precisely the moment Trent starts to sing "Remove the pain, and push it back in"

I can't wait to hear it in the context of the album, though. It has a lot of momentum. It feels way shorter than it actually is, and I think it's gong to bridge some really massive songs beautifully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I hope he is cashpiles to be honest. cashpiles was one of the few members from Vancouver on this forum I never got to meet. He private Messaged me one day asking to meetup, and we never really made a concrete effort to make plans. I kind of regret it. I need more real life NIN friends...

There used to be so many members from Vancouver here, and they all seemed to drop off the face of the planet...
    calling out and Sending out the NIN symbol in the sky to @ibanez33 @Fixer808 There was another guy named Warped Servant (?) I think as well. Can't seem to get his tag right. Oh well...
    I'm from Vancouver!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Interesting if you think about it: it's like a feedback loop. On this track, Trent is influenced by a certain Bowie sound. Bowie was admittedly influenced by Trent when he created said sound. And the music that Trent made that influenced Bowie was influenced by Bowie.

SO: Bowie influences Reznor, who influences Bowie, who influences Reznor.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I love this song so much more when I think of it in the potential narritive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by TheBang; 05-18-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Mod edit: Nope

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I only listened to God Break Down The Door a few times, and I'm sure it'll grow on me more eventually. It definitely left me wanting to listen to more and grabbed me right away, and I'm totally feeling the lyrics. And just like every single Nine Inch Nails album I first listened to, it definitely reminded me as to why I became a fan, and still am one to start with.

I can also already just know that this is going to blow me away live.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    If Bowie and NIN had a child while watching Lost Highway. In a nutshell, I love the music but don't care for Trent's vocals. What made me fall in love with NIN 24 years ago was Trent's ability to dish out vocal melodies over loud and out-of-the ordinary music. We know he still has it (Less Than) but he has been on this tangent of saying stuff rather than singing melodies.

I mean does anyone feel like singing this new song at the top of their lungs? I don't.

Sure it sounds great high though. Not gonna lie about that. Music IS trippy as shit which I really dig.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I get that many people are saying it's Bowiesque but this song realy reminds me more of Mark Lanegan for some reason.
    I could easily hear Mark singing this song, or even Chris Connelly.
    Now that would be something to see live, all three of them singing this song.
    Last edited by ziltoid; 05-17-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I get that many people are saying it's Bowiesque but this song realy reminds me more of Mark Lanegan for some reason.
    I could easily hear Mark singing this song, or even Chris Connelly.
    Now that would be something to see live, all three of them singing this song.
    Chris Connelly is actually a very good observation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by TheBang; 05-18-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Mod edit: Nope

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Finally broke down and took a listen. Definitely hearing the Bowie influence. I almost wish he had got Mike Garson to do some frantic piano on it, but maybe that would have been too obvious. Beyond Bowie, I keep thinking of Demon Seed, especially with the ending. It's a good track, and it's not surprising that it's pissing off some fans.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Chris Connelly is actually a very good observation.
    I always thought Chris Connelly's singing style was a lot like Bowie's though. It's no wonder he sings in a Bowie cover band.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The smooth vocal crooning is a bit jarring for a NIN song, but not necessarily bad; there's a clear Blackstar influence here that has me both intrigued and a bit hesitant for what may or may not be around the corner...