Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm in love with this song after 5 back to back listens. I was expecting an entirely different sound but this is surprisingly amazing. I don't really have any deep analysis or much to say about the song besides that, I'm just super excited for the album. I got into the band right before the Hesitation Marks period and while that was really cool to be apart of that album didn't really resonate with me in the same way this new stuff is. The 2 EPs we've gotten so far are some of Trent's most interesting and unique work he's ever produced, IMO. Fuck, I'm just dying to hear the final part. Right now is one of the best times ever to be a NIN fan.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 05-16-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's not good, at all. One of the worst NIN songs ever IMO. If it turns out that this was an unreleased Bowie track from the Blackstar recordings and he was covering it, that would make sense. It's still a terrible song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    It's not good, at all. One of the worst NIN songs ever IMO. If it turns out that this was an unreleased Bowie track from the Blackstar recordings and he was covering it, that would make sense. It's still a terrible song.
    I agree with this statement. And there aren't many NIN songs I don't like. Between this one and Satellite I don't know which is worse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trent knows he's won when he sees such passionate, antagonistic discord & hostility combined with utter admiration and musical references galore.

#Trent/AtticusJustKickedYouInTheFace/Ears

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm still on the fence with this song. Do I hate it? Not really, I'm more indifferent. Do I instantly love it? Definitely not. Perhaps it will grow on me. But right now it's just way too Bowie that it is distracting and feels like it meanders. Is this an alternate Year Zero timeline where Trent and Bowie swapped? At least the production is raw and leaning more towards Not The Actual Events, but still this track doesn't excite me like any of the NTAE material did. I wish I could be thrilled as much as some folk here and be able congratulate Trent on trying something different, but is it different when it sounds just so Bowie? With all the art and song titles, I was super excited for Bad Witch. After hearing this, I must admit that my excitement has diminished a bit.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-16-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The drums are very Perfect Drug/Starfuckers.....the bass is new... the riff and sound are very cool. singing.... a bit boring.. the second half chaotic change up... very cool. .. the final moment of just Trent's voice.. lame

when his voice is double tracked..it sounds like Bowie is singing with him.... very eerie.

and what the funk is up with the middle part PINK PANTHER SAX MELODY?

This song has piqued my interest... just his singing is just kind of... stays in a middle zone of notes.... not very dynamic.. but.. I appreciate this song. beats everything off of HM... GIVE ME THIS FUCKING LP NOW.
    Last edited by Victor Newman; 05-16-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm still on the fence with this song. Do I hate it? Not really, I'm more indifferent. Do I instantly love it? Definitely not. Perhaps it will grow on me. But right now it's just way too Bowie that it is distracting and feels like it meanders. Is this an alternate Year Zero timeline where Trent and Bowie swapped? At least the production is raw and leaning more towards Not The Actual Events, but still this track doesn't excite me like any of the NTAE material did. I wish I could be thrilled as much as some folk here and be able congratulate Trent on trying something different, but is it different when it sounds just so Bowie? With all the art and song titles, I was super excited for Bad Witch. After hearing this, I must admit that my excitement has diminished a bit.
    This is exactly how I feel right now. Too strong Bowie influence. Of course it's NIN, but not sure if I love it just yet.
    I'll wait for the full album to drop and listen to this song in context. Until then, this song is not getting another spin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You've been temporarily locked out due to suspicious behaviour. Please try again later.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denuir View Post
    You've been temporarily locked out due to suspicious behaviour. Please try again later.
    Does "god fucking damn it! Who clicked 'public"? It was supposed to be 'private'! FUCK!!!" count as "suspicious behavior"?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I figure, if I can hold out today i can make it till album drops. Still haven't heard a single note but im glued to these reactions. Similar to the division with "everything" which I dont love or hate. I definitely dont seek it out on a regular basis like most other nails songs, but it didnt turn me off. HM doesn't get a shit ton of play with me to be honest, aside from a few. But I love less than, which many see as nin by numbers. It's so great live. But I cant wait to hear this new odd experimental nin and I love most Bowie. He loses me a little after scary monsters or let's dance. But by the reviews, I imagine these vocals are similar to I'm deranged or even the song aladin sane.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting a Chemical Brothers vibe in places? At one point point I was sure he was going to sing, "Back with another one of those block rockin' beats"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I think Trenty boy believes in God, so I don't believe it's meant as mockery. Which I'm fine with. If he can make music at the level that he does, maybe there's something to it, even though I'm a skeptic.

“Do you believe in God?

I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology.”

from here: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/int...s-trent-reznor
    "There is no god up in the sky, tonight. No sign of heaven, anywhere in sight" - Trent Reznor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hate the mastering on all of these new EPs

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    I hate the mastering on all of these new EPs
    How so?

Im glad I like this song. If I have any criticism is that arrangement wise it isn't all that interesting. a key change would be nice once in a while.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i listened once. the drum-n-bass stuff is no joke. the first note a sax ... man, i don't know yet. it has the same *energy* that "beside you in time" has -- feels like the next -to-last song. in some kind of story.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I assume there's nothing floating around higher than 128kbps? Is that really the max bitrate YouTube offers on audio?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Wait, so your "abomination" comment / definitive take on the track was after only one listen?

Yeah, Trent doesn't make music for people like you.
    This is what I was talking about a while back in the APC thread. When new music comes out, people RUSH to judgement and criticize it harshly and prematurely, loudly declaring how much it sucks on the internet. Sometimes music needs time to grow on you and you know, maybe giving it an actual fucking chance would help. As in more that one listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I assume there's nothing floating around higher than 128kbps? Is that really the max bitrate YouTube offers on audio?
    I ripped the YouTube video and got a 256 kbps mp3.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, I haven't been able to keep this song away from my rotation today. I love so much about it because it's Trent challenging my ears once again. Like someone pointed out earlier in this thread ... while I certainly have an appreciation and at times a love for Trent's output from like 2005 to 2008 ... it did feel a little safe at certain spots. I'm hoping that Trent keeps experimenting even more and more on this new album.

I usually don't preorder vinyl unless I've had a chance to hear the record first, but based on this track alone ... I'm REALLY considering getting it.

This is so damn good, guys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    3 listens in a row and I think it's more interesting than anything off the last 2 EPs. Looking forward to this EP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, every time NIN puts out a new song - I almost always fall somewhere between wtf and whatever. But I just keep listening for some reason and wind up digging it over time. Or I'll like it a decade later after always skipping it. It's a phenomena unique to this band; no one else makes me want to stick around and keep listening. It's been that way for 25 years for me.

This song is no different. Right now I'm at wtf? I keep listening though.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Yes. Though keep in mind, 128 Kbps AAC is roughly equivalent to something like 150-160 Kbps MP3.
    Occasionally you can get 192 Kbps AAC tracks from the monolithic 720p video file (as opposed to the DASH tracks), but usually they're just 128 Kbps. I don't know the rhyme or reason as to when 192 Kbps is used. I didn't bother downloading it to check on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I ripped the YouTube video and got a 256 kbps mp3.
    You transcoded it. YouTube doesn't offer MP3 audio. They only have AAC and Opus audio.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Can’t really get into the new song at all, it doesn’t become listenable to me until around 3 minutes in. I’m glad you guys like it though, I love new nin ETS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's the 320kbps mp3 I first heard 15 hours ago.

Sourced from a New Zealand online retailer.

I assumed this had been more widely circulated!

Mod edit: Link removed
    Last edited by TheBang; 05-17-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: link removed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    this is a bowie song

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    This track really makes me wish that Bad Witch was a much longer record track wise. When the beat kicks back in around 2 and a half minutes ... holy shit, it still gets me pumped.

Something about his delivery on the "REMOVE THE PAIN AND PUSH IT BACK IN" sounds like something off of the Fragile too. Hell, this whole song feels like a continuation of that prog-industrial rock atmosphere that record has.

Yesterday a new Death Grips song was released ... and now this. Pretty solid week for me so far.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 05-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy shit, this is fucking fantastic! Loving the mish-mash of Bowie, jazz, and The Perfect Drug's drum and bass vibe! Trent's vocals and the aggressive synth bass is neat too.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dyarab View Post
    I agree with this statement. And there aren't many NIN songs I don't like. Between this one and Satellite I don't know which is worse.
    Oh God, satellite is an awful, awful song!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The final 10 seconds remind me of Closer (Precursor).

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    How could you say that? Satellite is a really cool song!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    How could you say that? Satellite is a really cool song!
    The melody of Satellite's verses haven't held up for me as much as they did back in 2013. I remember even being immensely bored with hearing that song live too. There aren't many moments overall that I don't like within NIN's discography ... the "COME ALONG. SING ALONG ... EVERYBODY NOW!" in God Given is one of them ... as is the entire Me, I'm Not song. Fuck it, I just don't care for Year Zero at all.

Is this new song one of NIN's worst tracks? Not at all. Obviously I'm in the "I love it" camp and I think it's because it's not as immediate as so much stuff we tend to hear first. It's dizzying, paranoid sounding and doesn't fall within a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, noisy solo, chorus structure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After one listen...

I have no idea what to think. There's a lot going on. This is different for NIN in about 5 different ways.

I was hoping for this one to be more abrasive in feel than the other two EPs. This could fit in with that nicely, but we will have to see.