Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 700

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    310
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    All I can say after the first listen is that it is clearly sounds like a Bowie track on purpose, and that seems like a weird thing to do, for Nine Inch Nails anyway. On the one hand it's very much my kind of thing, but on the other hand I'm not sure it sounds like Nine Inch Nails, so I'm conflicted. More listens are needed, but I do like how raw it sounds, and I do think it will sound significantly better in a live setting... full volume and intense lighting... oh, and of course the fact that it's not what people are expecting really turns me on.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Found this when looking for higher quality downloads, mp3 320 and FLAC. Downloaded flac and confirmed working at the time of this post:

    Mod Edit: link removed

    Edit, my response to it: as with a lot of the things Trent and Atticus have made that have gone on to be some of my favorites of their work, when I first listened to this, this afternoon, I was intrigued but had a feeling of "what the hell am I listening to?" Listening to it throughout the day, I'm really starting to enjoy it. I knew it was a good one when I found myself singing "pull it out, push it back" unconsciously.
    Last edited by TheBang; 05-17-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Mod Edit: link removed

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The latter part (from 2:30 onwards) is what I expected from this new album. Something new. Bowie's style reinterpreted by NIN.
    I love the Bowie influence, in fact I have the Blackstar album cover tattooed just above my NIN logo tattoo.
    This song is a dream come true in a manner of speaking, a Trent and Bowie collaboration.
    Meanwhile, although I enjoy the song, I just think the first half of it channels too much Bowie.
    Bowie had an industrial phase, but it didn't sound like NIN. I will love this album even more if it turns out to be NIN going through a Blackstar/Bowie phase, but if I want David Bowie I'll listen to Bowie, not NIN.
    Just another thought. Think it's a great tune anyhow.
    Last edited by poro765; 05-17-2018 at 03:22 AM.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,171
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    Here's the 320kbps mp3 I first heard 15 hours ago.

    Sourced from a New Zealand online retailer.

    I assumed this had been more widely circulated!
    Do you have more proof of that, I mean anything about the source if you can ? your file got Gbdtd as a album name and no cover, that is odd, especially when the youtube had the album cover. Thx you anyway

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Also, if it means anything, I couldn't stand Trent's version of "I can't give everything away". That song did nothing for me. That was the lowest point of the show for me.
    I don't like this new single that much (although it's already getting better after a couple of listens), but I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE their version of I Can't Give Everything Away. It's so beautiful and sad at the same time. There are not many songs that are able to top that for me, even within the NIN catalogue.

    Anyway, I don't think it means anything in your case, 'cause you really can't compare those two songs. At all.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,171
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequenteon View Post
    Found this when looking for higher quality downloads, mp3 320 and FLAC. Downloaded flac and confirmed working at the time of this post:
    Link removed
    Well this flac got the exact same filename as the reported australian mp3, it got too Gbdtd as an album name ...but got the bad witch cover

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The land down under
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Do you have more proof of that, I mean anything about the source if you can ? your file got Gbdtd as a album name and no cover, that is odd, especially when the youtube had the album cover. Thx you anyway
    No that’s all I’ve got I’m afraid.

    Got the the link from another forum with that information provided.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Simply gorgeous.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Well this flac got the exact same filename as the reported australian mp3, it got too Gbdtd as an album name ...but got the bad witch cover
    That could be legit. On TIDAL, the song is showing up under a single/EP named GBDTD, which has the same cover as Bad Witch. I took some screencaps from my client: https://imgur.com/a/LWoLmlY

    Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and Less Than obviously used the art of their respective EPs, with no unique single art to be found either.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-17-2018 at 04:58 AM.

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Annnnnnnnnnnnd i missed it. Not on the YT anymore and i can't get the ZIP files to open on my work PC (this is what i get for seeing Deadpool 2 and not hanging around the ETS!)
    Guess i'll just have to wait for an official release. The comparisons to the lost highway (Perfect Drug specifically) have me optimistic, i love that song!

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Annnnnnnnnnnnd i missed it. Not on the YT anymore and i can't get the ZIP files to open on my work PC (this is what i get for seeing Deadpool 2 and not hanging around the ETS!)
    Guess i'll just have to wait for an official release. The comparisons to the lost highway (Perfect Drug specifically) have me optimistic, i love that song!
    https://clyp.it/jnbrqbn2/widget

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,171
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    That could be legit. On TIDAL, the song is showing up under a single/EP named GBDTD, which has the same cover as Bad Witch. I took some screencaps from my client: https://imgur.com/a/LWoLmlY

    Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and Less Than obviously used the art of their respective EPs, with no unique single art to be found either.
    Oh nice screenshot ! All signs point to a digital single release, thx for the tip.

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosingFocus View Post
    THANK YOU!

    OK, so it is very much in the vain of Bowie's Blackstar (which wasn't for me unfortunately) and this is...well i'm on the fence. It's not an Everything (which i still don't mind tbh) but it's not grabbed me like the songs from ADD VIOLENCE did. Will it grow? Probably. But i think i can wait until the EP/LP/Whatever it is comes out to listen again. Glad many are digging it though.

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Oh nice screenshot ! All signs point to a digital single release, thx for the tip.
    You're welcome!

  15. #315
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Having only listened to it once properly, I must admit I’m on the fence aswell. That could change, as it took Twin Peaks for me to decide that She’s Gone Away is really one of NINs best after an initial lukewarm feeling. This feels like a very big Bowie rip off - an incredibly well done rip off at that, and it’s not the vocals (which are cool) but the sax, breakbeats and arp synths. Agree with everyone else that the song really kicks off in the second half and it’s nice to see him still experimenting with other styles, but I just hope the album doesn’t follow suit.

    Also: I guess it’s kinda cool we’re seeing more Blackstar influence on artists rather than the obvious 70s material. It was a terrific album and I’m not averse to hearing more breakbeats!
    Last edited by Ghosty23; 05-17-2018 at 05:46 AM.

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Add Violence was insuperable, and listening this song I think I reaffirm. I was very surprised when Trent said that AV was predictable. In this song I see lack of imagination. Hope it changes.

  17. #317
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After a second listen on big speakers- that was really fun, Trent’s production is super dynamic and there’s lots of lovely details hidden away - I hope everyone enjoyed hearing it out the windows onto the high street beneath me!

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    First two listens were a bit a jarring. Actually I first thought the very Bowie-esque vibrato made it sound a bit derivative at first.
    But the more I listen to it the more I like it. It feels genuinely different, like they're taking some big risks for the first time in forever. I love the brass section, I love that crazy synth, I love the melodies... I can't wait to see how it fits in the overall flow of the record. I also doubt that's actually a "radio single".

  19. #319
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Honestly, it's not that bad after a few listens. That psychedelic feeling is pretty good.

  20. #320
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,217
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I wouldn't categorize this as drum n bass at all. The somewhat chaotic percussion pattern does not mean it falls into that category. Not for me at least.
    While I respect your opinion a LOT, drum and bass has been a HUGE part of my life since I was a teenager. And if that drop at 2:31 or so isn't dnb, Idk what is.
    I can almost hear people screaming "REWIND!!"

  21. #321
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trento View Post
    Add Violence was insuperable, and listening this song I think I reaffirm. I was very surprised when Trent said that AV was predictable. In this song I see lack of imagination. Hope it changes.
    He didn't said that Add Violence was predictable, he said that what they were planning for the third EP was predictable. Add Violence is great.

  22. #322
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,217
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Secondly, I swear to god it wouldn't surprise me if this was an unrecorded Bowie track. It sounds like it should have been on Outside, not Blackstar.
    Also, the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

  23. #323
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Secondly, I swear to god it wouldn't surprise me if this was an unrecorded Bowie track. It sounds like it should have been on Outside, not Blackstar.
    Also, the more I listen to it, the more I like it.
    That saxophone is very Blackstar but I also think that those drums and that synth sound closer to some songs of the Outside album.

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Secondly, I swear to god it wouldn't surprise me if this was an unrecorded Bowie track. It sounds like it should have been on Outside, not Blackstar.
    Also, the more I listen to it, the more I like it.
    My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a Bowie track or a collaboration that's been re-recorded.

  25. #325
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    It feels genuinely different, like they're taking some big risks for the first time in forever.
    This is definitely what I like about this track. It is refreshing to see/hear them do something so out of their space. I also love the change in vocal style. I'm just not sure if it all comes together in a super interesting way. Is it a really well written song? I don't know. Seems like it needs to exist with other music and not on it's own. Also, I like the drum loop(s), but it sort of loses the appeal to me after a few minutes. Which has become sort of the standard lately. I think a lot of my issues are also with the mix for these EPs. I don't dislike it at all, but I certainly feel like it isn't their strongest track.

    In the end I am really an album guy and this is probably a case of something being really elevated in context.

  26. #326
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It’s a great song, incredibly out of left field for Trent and pretty gutsy.

    If you don’t like it—well, at least appreciate that a band this old can do something this ‘new’—well maybe NIN isn’t for you any longer.

    It’s like an unholy marriage of Outside, Blackstar, and NTAE.

  27. #327
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    If you don’t like it—well, at least appreciate that a band this old can do something this ‘new’—well maybe NIN isn’t for you any longer.
    Wew, lad... that's a bait if I've ever seen one.

  28. #328
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,784
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I actually hate Blackstar Bowie. I actually can't stand it. And I know, thems fighting words. But I don't care. Blackstar was terrible. Unlistenable actually. I wanted so bad to get into that record, I always loved Bowie. I couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried. The only listenable song to me on that record was Lazarus.
    Oh wow ... yeah those are fighting words for me in particular, haha.

    Not only do I think Blackstar is one of Davie Bowie's greatest albums ... it's one of the best albums to come out this entire decade.

  29. #329
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Probably heard a dozen times over the last 18 hours, and reaction has gone from - 'no, not for me, too much jazzy Blackstar' (I like some of that album, but it gets too free-form for me at times), to 'what a fresh approach, kudos'. The more I hear it, I hear NIN-isms all over the place, little bit of squealing guitar/synth, the marimba in the background, seemingly out of place noises here and there, all building to an epic crescendo. Can't work out if it's a drum machine or not...that would take quite a bit of programming, so wonder if Ilan was allowed to get his hands dirty in the studio for once...pretty sure it's not Dave Grohl again anyway...!

  30. #330
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,294
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Probably heard a dozen times over the last 18 hours, and reaction has gone from - 'no, not for me, too much jazzy Blackstar' (I like some of that album, but it gets too free-form for me at times), to 'what a fresh approach, kudos'. The more I hear it, I hear NIN-isms all over the place, little bit of squealing guitar/synth, the marimba in the background, seemingly out of place noises here and there, all building to an epic crescendo. Can't work out if it's a drum machine or not...that would take quite a bit of programming, so wonder if Ilan was allowed to get his hands dirty in the studio for once...pretty sure it's not Dave Grohl again anyway...!
    Does sound like live drums and you're right, Ilan is probably the likeliest candidate. I guess now that it's actually out on legit streaming platforms I can reach out on Twitter and ask him.

Posting Permissions