Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: System Of A Down

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

System Of A Down

So I finally got to see them live on Sunday at Jones Beach, and it was one hell of a ride. Deftones opened for them and they were spot on. The setlist was a bit meh for me (No Saturday Night Wrist! WTF?) but they had to skip the new songs and one other because it started to pour, but we trooped it out and waited for the storm to pass. Then System came on and pretty much blew the stadium into the water. They were spot on, Daron sounded great (Vocals and Guitar), and the band sounded like they never went on Hiatus. Who knows what this tour will bring as far as new music is concerned, but I would love to have another SOAD album sometime in the near future.

Setlist:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm jealous. So hoping the Serj's Harakiri is his last solo record before new SOAD record. Totally switching my hopes from Tool to System ☻

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    oh sweet a cover of sultans of swing! i love that track, dire straights kick ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I'm jealous. So hoping the Serj's Harakiri is his last solo record before new SOAD record. Totally switching my hopes from Tool to System ☻
    nope
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    [...] It was later confirmed that his new album would be called Harakiri and will be released on July 10, 2012. This will be the first of four new albums to be released in the near future. The other three upcoming albums include a jazz album titled Jazz-Iz-Christ, an orchestral album called Orca, and Fuktronic, an electronic music collaboration with Mindless Self-Indulgence's Jimmy Urine.
    he's totally focussing on his solo stuff now.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theSplinter04 View Post
    nope

he's totally focussing on his solo stuff now.
    Just because he has other albums lined up, does not mean that SOAD cannot still make new music. There are artists out there that have two, even three bands going at the same time and make it feasible to tour, or make new music. Who knows? Maybe they recorded or are on the midst of releasing two new songs for download, or an EP. We will see once this tour ends and Harakiri is out for a bit longer. Needless to say, the new Serj album is miles better than his second effort.

Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger
    oh sweet a cover of sultans of swing! i love that track, dire straights kick ass

Dude, it was definitely a pleasant surprise. The crowd loved it, and when Daron dubbed "Sultans Of Swing" with "System Of A Down".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just because he has other albums lined up, does not mean that SOAD cannot still make new music. There are artists out there that have two, even three bands going at the same time and make it feasible to tour, or make new music. Who knows? Maybe they recorded or are on the midst of releasing two new songs for download, or an EP. We will see once this tour ends and Harakiri is out for a bit longer. Needless to say, the new Serj album is miles better than his second effort.
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=177656
    "It's a good question and the answer is the same — we haven't made plans of recording the new record as of yet," he said. "When we do, everyone will know. We haven't really discussed another record as of now with any of the guys, really. It's something that, when it's the right time, we'll do it. Right now I'm busy with my own stuff and that's gonna take me a bit, but when it's the right time, everyone will know. I don't even want to say there's [a new SYSTEM OF A DOWN album] coming because we haven't really talked about it. I just assume when it's the right time, it'll materialize, like everything else in the universe."
    this was just one week ago.
    as much as i would want some new SOAD material, i really don't believe they'll start recording until 2013. there's still hope though, SOAD's not dead. not even close. they might even have written some tracks. (it's also funny how Serj talks about 'the' new record)
    Last edited by theSplinter04; 08-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Well it will definitely happen. You never know though... bands say things like this all the time, and when you least expect it you get a new song or even a new album. I'm staying optimistic about it.

I would however, love a new Scars On Broadway album. The snippet that is on the website needs to be released or an album followed by a freakin' tour this time.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    System of a Down > Scars on Broadway > Serj Tankian

I'll get flamed for my second opinion but that's how I see it with my tastes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    scars on broadway?
    come eat some chemicals with me,
    come eat some checmicals...

the only track i like is universe. i otherwise cannot stand darons vocals. whata douche.
    theyre fucking! theyre fucking!
    theyre fucking in front of me!

cool to hear about the show, SDP, thanks for the setlist. sugar is ALWAYS the best closer!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    SOB has a handful of truly kick-ass songs (i'm too lazy now to write exact titles of those)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny, They Say, Hungry Ghost

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    SOAD is in the category of bands/artists that I don't listen to frequently anymore..but still hold a special place in my heart. The first album is a masterpiece. I absolutely loved these guys in high school and seeing them headline Ozzfest was pretty fuckin cool.

I would definitely welcome a new record from these guys or a tour, perhaps both..someday. Daron needs to chill the fuck out and take a backseat to Serj in the vocals department. I know he writes most of the music for System and wants to sing on it..but he needs to recognize his shortcomings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i agree, i listen to system to hear serj's voice... not that pipsqueak. his backing vocals are actually not bad in some cases but when he tries to hijack the song its so annoying. stick to singing on your scars on broadway project.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I like a lot of the songs that Daron plays and sings. He brings this significant weirdness and provocative feeling to the band that I just love. There are a few songs where I would love to hear Serj more, but I really do enjoy Darons vocals. His guitar skills are wonderful though.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Serj Tankian Set To Release Two Albums In June and July
    Announces Orchestral Tour Dates
    April 25th, 2013 - Los Angeles, CA: Singer, songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, poet and political activist Serj Tankian is independently releasing two albums this summer through his own Serjical Strike Records.
    Orca, Tankian's first true symphony, will be released on June 25 and the collaborative jazz infused album Jazz-iz Christ will be released on July 23.
    Recorded in Linz, Austria in October of 2012, Orca was composed and demoed in Tankian's home studio and fully realized after a successful Kickstarter campaign that helped fund a recording and debut performance at the regal Brucknerhaus with the "Das Karussell Ensemble". With conductor Werner Steinmetz at the helm, the four acts of Orca mix influences from early 20th century composers with modern film compositional dynamics showing influences ranging from Ennio Morricone to Philip Glass. Listeners are met with a mingling of sounds and intertwining pieces that are both serene and bombastic at the same time, offering a fresh interpretation to the classical art.
    According to Tankian, "Orca is known as the killer whale, but is really a dark dolphin, a symbolism for human dichotomy."
    Jazz-iz Christ is Serj's brainchild, but truly is a collaborative effort between many musicians that Tankian curated to be part of the group and self-titled album. Among others, there are considerable contributions from renowned pianist Tigran Hamasyan, flautist Valeri Tolstov, and trumpet player Tom Duprey. Additional performances from Stewart Copeland and actor/musician Davis Alpay and Vincent Pedulla make for a very unique collaboration. The 15 tracks that comprise Jazz-iz Christ, a mostly instrumental effort except for 4 tracks, are an amalgam of progressive jazz, electronic, ethnic and even rock elements, displaying a unique presentation of the genre itself.
    Both albums will be available worldwide on iTunes, Amazon and other popular digital distributors and will be available for sale in various limited deluxe physical formats through Tankian's official website and the website for Serjical Strike Records. Pre-orders for the deluxe limited editions of Orca, which includes a 180 gram picture disc, merchandise, and a signed version of the actual score, will begin on May 1, while pre-orders for Jazz-iz Christ will commence on May 15. Audio samples from both releases are available for preview on Serj's official website.
    Upon completion of System of a Down's summer touring in August, Tankian will hang back in Europe until the commencement of his own solo orchestral tour dates that begin on September 19 in Kiev, Ukraine. The concert program will include all four acts of Orca, but will also incorporate performances of many songs from Elect The Dead Symphony, which achieved critical and commercial success upon it's initial release and tour in 2010.
    Confirmed tour dates below, with more to be announced in the days to come:
    19 Sep 13 Thu
    Kiev
    Ukraine
    21 Sep 13 Sat
    Yekaterinburg
    Russia
    23 Sep 13 Mon
    Novosibirsk
    Russia
    25 Sep 13 Wed
    Krasnoyarsk
    Russia
    27 Sep 13 Fri
    Moscow
    Russia
    28 Sep 13 Sat
    St. Petersburg
    Russia
    03 Oct 13 Thu
    Florence
    Italy
    Teatro Comunale
    04 Oct 13 Fri
    Padova
    Italy
    Gran Teatro Geox
    05 Oct 13 Sat
    Rome
    Italy
    Auditorium Parco Della Musica

I must say I am consistently disappointed with Tankian's solo stuff, though that Jazz-y album sounds like it could be fun.
    By contrast I liked some of that Scars on Broadway album, thought it was somewhat underrated by critics and SOAD fans. That freak-out tour cancellation around the time of the album release can't have helped.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    God please no more Serj solo stuff. Elect the Dead was alright but he only went downhill from there.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Orca has already been out as a download since November. This is going to be a CD release.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hard to believe it's been 8 years since System has released an album. To put it in perspective: Boards of Canada released an album a month before Hypnotize came out. I feel old.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: System Of A Down

I think they are just over it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, so I though that they were done with albums but apparently in an interview with Kerrang!, John Dolmayan said that they are working on a new record. I'm surprised!

https://www.facebook.com/VictimsOfAD...type=3&theater

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey_mcpot View Post
    i agree, i listen to system to hear serj's voice... not that pipsqueak. his backing vocals are actually not bad in some cases but when he tries to hijack the song its so annoying. stick to singing on your scars on broadway project.
    He's an annoying guy and it comes across in his vocals. Bare minimum please

Interested to see if the new one will be any good.

What was the deal with Casey chaos? I don't really know much about it. Did they stitch him up or is he gold digging

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Huge announcement coming Monday involving Faith No More, KoRn and System of a down. Rumored North American tour. Holy smokes.
    That's gonna be a HUGE tour. I'm not holding my breath for Canadain dates, since we've been getting the shaft on every tour this year, but if there's 1 and only 1 show that comes to town, god, I hope it's this!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The announcement was a dud. Just another festival date in Mexico.

This thread can go back to being dormant again for 5 more years, since we know no *real* news is going to come from SOAD anytime soon, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Hard to believe it's been 8 years since System has released an album. To put it in perspective: Boards of Canada released an album a month before Hypnotize came out. I feel old.
    *Crying*

Up to 15 years now... How old do you feel now?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    The announcement was a dud. Just another festival date in Mexico.

This thread can go back to being dormant again for 5 more years, since we know no *real* news is going to come from SOAD anytime soon, lol.
    Looks like it's also May 22 at Banc of California Stadium in LA - SOAD, KoRn, Faith No More, Helmet, and Russian Circles.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Looks like it's also May 22 at Banc of California Stadium in LA - SOAD, KoRn, Faith No More, Helmet, and Russian Circles.
    I live in LA, and May 22nd is my birthday... and of course I'll be out of town for this, lol. Fortunately, System is the only of these bands I really care about, so it's not as much of a bummer for me as it could have been otherwise.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    just saw this on has it leaked (it hasn't):

John Dolmayan - These Grey Men

https://hasitleaked.com/2020/john-do...hese-grey-men/

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "John Dolmayan says SOAD is now even further from making new album" This sucks!!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...roblem_is.html

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "John Dolmayan says SOAD is now even further from making new album" This sucks!!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...roblem_is.html
    After Tool released that abortion of a record that actually sucked any desire I had for a new SOAD record. I don't think the time off has done SOAD any favors.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    how can you get 'further' from making an album?