Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1998--your top ten picks

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Forgot about Mudhoney's Tomorrow Hit Today great disc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    97? Why 97? 90-96 imo was a lot better
    1996 was the last great year of music. Let me mansplain you why.

1. The telecommunications act of 1996 was the largest contributing factor to the decline in music. This allowed for the rise of Clear Channel as the dominate force, influencing music labels away from the album as a product towards the single as the ad revenue vehicle.

2. Jagged Little Pill marks the end of the album era. No other album since has remained on the billboard charts for over a year. The movement in album sales towards the CD single happens post 1996.

3. The continuing ramp up of the Loudness Wars escalates in late 1995 with the release of Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?. Dynamic Range continues to plummet and the move to the mp3 rises. The first white sheets on the more modern mp3 encoding is published in 1995.

1996 was fucking amazing. The music industry was at its peak. So many great artists dropped albums or released singles this year. Feel free to explore.
    https://open.spotify.com/user/129194...RvaF_V4M_bvYIA

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Well, if you are an aging, bitter, soon-to-be-middle-aged guy like me, still clinging to guitar/hard-rock, 1997/1998 was sort of the last great year(s) of music. It's been on life-support or in a coma since the dawn of the 21st century.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    One of these days I will listen to things that came out that year which aren't from Garbage, Manson, and the Pumpkins. But it will be difficult to tear myself away.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Well, if you are an aging, bitter, soon-to-be-middle-aged guy like me, still clinging to guitar/hard-rock, 1997/1998 was sort of the last great year(s) of music. It's been on life-support or in a coma since the dawn of the 21st century.
    While I usually am the one to agree with this, I am also an "aging, bitter, soon-to-be-middle-aged" guy, there is some really good stuff coming out these days. I think there was a lull in the music scene at the turn of the century around the year 2000, I think it's picked up again around 2010. Some bands/records that came out in recent years, rival the quality the 90s had. I think 97/98 were the peak of music for sure. Part of me wants to include 1999 because of "The Fragile", but I just looked at what else was released that year, and it doesn't compare to say 1995-1998. Those were the golden years of music.

The problem now is, good music is no longer spoon fed to you via every media outlet available. You have to really do some digging in this day and age to find the good stuff. There is a lot of good stuff out there now that doesn't get the recognition that it should.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing anyway. We want to yearn to be back in those younger days, but if you actually revisit some stuff you thought was "great" back then, you will soon realize that it's not so great after all. I've went back to listen to records I thought were "amazing" back then, to only discover they are not. Maybe that's just because my tastes have changed since then.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 04-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Part of me wants to include 1999 because of "The Fragile", but I just looked at what else was released that year, and it doesn't compare to say 1995-1998. Those were the golden years of music.
    Whoa, whoa, whoooooa there, 1999 is most definitely included...

The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    Leftfield - Rhythm And Stealth
    Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
    The Mad Capsule Markets - OSC-DIS (Oscillator In Distortion)
    Deadsy - Commencement
    Basement Jaxx - Remedy
    Moby - Play
    Death In Vegas - The Contino Sessions
    Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
    Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
    Muse - Showbiz
    Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipeout
    Pitchshifter - Deviant
    Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles
    Korn - Issues
    Dr. Dre - 2001

Just to name a few. 1994 to 1999 is probably the greatest 5 year period for music... EVER.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-12-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoooooa there, 1999 is most definitely included...

The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    Leftfield - Rhythm And Stealth
    Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
    The Mad Capsule Markets - OSC-DIS (Oscillator In Distortion)
    Deadsy - Commencement
    Basement Jaxx - Remedy
    Moby - Play
    Death In Vegas - The Contino Sessions
    Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
    Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
    Muse - Showbiz
    Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipeout
    Pitchshifter - Deviant
    Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles
    Korn - Issues
    Dr. Dre - 2001

Just to name a few. 1994 to 1999 is probably the greatest 5 year period for music... EVER.
    Hey hey, no spoilers. The 1999 thread isn't due for another nine months.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    97? Why 97? 90-96 imo was a lot better
    For me personally as it came to 1997, it was because it was the emergence of discovering new things such as electronic music and Radiohead creating for me was my generation's Dark Side of the Moon. I had never heard a record like that in my life and I couldn't believe how good it was. I remember reading all of these reviews and was entranced by the video for "Paranoid Android". Then I heard bits of the record at this pizza place I used to go to and was blown away from what I was hearing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    1997 for the win, hands down.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Im not saying its not good, i just didn't have as much favorites stuff...but to be fair i don't really stray to far out of rock and metal not because im one sides but for the most part, it doesn't really do much for me with a few exceptions. Its not a bad year but IMO not my favorite year.

That's why i said it was my opinions not a fact...opinion.

Also im 21 so i was like...2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
    REM - Up
    Beck - Mutations
    Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions
    Queens of The Stone Age - QOTSA
    Hole - Celebrity Skin
    Korn - Follow the Leader
    Garbage - Version 2.0
    Madonna - Ray of Light
    Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    In general, I think the late 90s were abysmal years for music. Which is fine. Popular music seems to ebb and flow. We'll have a couple years where it seems like important connections are being made, everything is coming together, great albums are coming out at a breakneck speed, and then suddenly all that momentum disperses, and we spend years waiting for the next big wave to hit. Realistically, in any average year, there's maybe a couple of truly great albums that come out, and that's it. There might be some other moderately decent albums that come out too, but anytime I go back and look at the best of lists from some random year, it's always like "Yup, these two/three albums were great, and everything is just sort of there." I think that's natural. I don't think you can realistically expect the human species to produce incredible quality in mass every single year.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I forgot one on my list: Neil Finn, Try Whistling This