Thread: Occasional Spectators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Occasional Spectators

Hey everyone! I recently set up a Bandcamp page to upload songs that I've been writing over the past few months. You can also find links to my Soundcloud and Triple J Unearthed sites on there too! There's only one song posted on Bandcamp at the moment, but by the end of March, I'm hoping to release a 5 track EP that I've been working on since December. If you get a chance, I'd appreciate it heaps if you gave it a listen!

https://occasionalspectators.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just finished giving it a listen there. It's a nice song, sort of draws a summer evening picture for me. The mix is very lo-fi, especially the drums. Is that the general sound/buzz you were going for? Not knocking it, just wondering. Sort of shades of something familiar in the vocal too, but I can't put my finger on it, maybe a little MBV or some bit of Dave Grohl in there in the delivery.

That is all on just one listen, I have a good few things to try out today but I'll give your ep a shot when you have it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for checking it out! Yeah, that lo-fi style was something I tried to aim for. I wanted the mix to have a minimalistic feel, kinda like something from an early Elliott Smith record. I think I've still got a long way to go in terms of producing a fancier mix, I've only scratched the surface when it comes to creating stuff in Pro Tools. It's pretty fun trying out different plug-ins and functions though, it's definitely a step up from Garage Band!

That's so cool that you can hear a bit of MBV and Dave Grohl in the vocals, because I definitely had MBV in my mind as an influence when I was recording them! They're a pretty big influence on my songwriting, along with NIN!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to have the EP out soon! Thank you for the kind words and giving it a listen!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    I've only scratched the surface when it comes to creating stuff in Pro Tools. It's pretty fun trying out different plug-ins and functions though,
    Well best of luck then with the endless rabbit hole you are about to fall into!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    haha, luckily I had introductory lessons on how to use it as a part of my audio engineering course before I got it for my laptop, otherwise I think I'd still be trying to wrap my head around everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've finished my EP! After working through bouts of writer's block and loss of inspiration, I've finally come up with 5 songs that I'm really happy with. If you get a chance, it would be awesome if you gave it a listen!

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/occasionalspe...ets/barricades

https://occasionalspectators.bandcamp.com/releases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, gave it a listen (twice in fact) and really like Something More, which oddly enough reminds me of a song I heard about 40 years ago, back in the days of analog everything. And now I am stuck in a rabbit hole trying to figure out what song it reminded me of! -z-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for listening to the record zero! Something More was the last song I finished for the EP, and it's so awesome that it reminds you of something from the 70s. I think I might've been subconsciously influenced by something I heard from that era!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've uploaded a new song to Soundcloud! I'm hoping to release another EP or full LP in a few months.

https://soundcloud.com/occasionalspectators/quivering