Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Other possible ARG activity around the same time as schizophreniasdiary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Other possible ARG activity around the same time as schizophreniasdiary

Doing some research I came across theyearzero.net. This url has been parked and unused since it was registered, but some interesting info about this registration:

Created May 5th 2011 (a couple weeks before schizophreniasdiary)
    Registered to the organization THE NULL CORPORATION II (5 years before it was used on Juno)
    Registered address is NIN legal representation GELFAND, RENNERT & FELDMAN

Could be nothing, but it shows that someone in the NIN camp was definitely thinking about new Year Zero content in May of 2011, just before the blog popped up. I feel this gives some credibility to the idea that schizophreniasdiary came from NIN.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Where did you find this?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just noticed you talking about this in the server. But, how did you/they find info on the registration? The url gives me a "Site Can't be Reached"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How long was Trent dealing with HBO for the Year Zero TV series? I know it's over now, but there were meetings and negotiations for years. Where there any interviews with Trent in 2011 that mention he was still trying to set things up? It's possible that it seemed things were moving forward, so they set up that domain. Irregardless (Mean Girls reference, I know that's an erroneous word), it does shed some more light on the blog, linking it to the NINiverse.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Registrar Expiration Date: 2018-05-05 -- this is pulled off the whois web site you posted... this is going to expire kind of soon.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Talking of Null Corportation II in 2011 when the Wordpress appeared

Null Corporation II officially created in 2016 when NTAE was released

Hm

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    maybe it's not II (roman numeral two) but 11 (one one)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting find, thanks! I think that strongly supports the Schizo diary being a TR creation. It proves he was working on ARG related content at exactly that time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I looked up the registry as well, and made an IMG for it.

Also worth noting, the email is something for Rebel Waltz (Trent's former MGMT), and was registered by Eric Ferman who was thanked for "extra effort" in the Year Zero credits.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    TR / NIN is no longer managed or represented by anyone from Rebel Waltz. I'm going to file this under coincidence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    TR / NIN is no longer managed or represented by anyone from Rebel Waltz. I'm going to file this under coincidence.
    He was in 2011, when the domain was registered.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    This definitely seems legitimately associated with the NIN camp. Besides Rebel Waltz, the DNS hosting for this domain is with Sudjam, which was the host for all things nin.com until the relaunch just before NTAE's release in Dec. 2016.

But it appears that it has not actually been used for anything. I would say the most likely explanation is that it could have been registered in relation to the HBO stuff, as @2020k suggested.

Regarding The Null Corporation II, it's important to note that the registration record was last updated on May 3, 2015. That means prior to that, the registration information could have said something other than The Null Corp II. If you really want to know what it said before that, you'd have to use some kind of historical domain registration lookup service like these:

http://research.domaintools.com/research/whois-history/
    http://domainhistory.net/

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    It was just a parked domain to potentially use if the Year Zero HBO series ever took off.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Why would they need a Null Corporation II when the first one is still doing stuff?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Why would they need a Null Corporation II when the first one is still doing stuff?
    Shell corporations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    It was just a parked domain to potentially use if the Year Zero HBO series ever took off.
    weird argument from me, but i don't think so... because of the .net. it's a weird domain to set up if you want a website for a TV series.

just my two cents tho, i do think all of this is weird, just don't know if it's a common straight linear-story ARG yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I looked up The Null Corp II and one of the first results to pop us was linkdn, stating los angeles california as the location, which is correct. I don't know how hard it is to make a fake account on linkdn, or why anyone would go through the trouble- but what caught my attention is that there is one person listed as an employee. The name is "Larri Goode" and he's an analyst, working out of Washington DC. Seems odd.