Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events: schizophreniasdiary

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Wasn't the song and title explained to be about addiction and regression in the Song Exploder interview?
    Wasn't meant to be a serious statement.

As for a serious statement, this is one hell of a coincidence, if it even is one. Cannot wait for a reply from the nin camp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    I had the same exact thought 15 seconds before reading your message

I don't think we've actually tried to collect a large quantity of serial numbers to see if there are some similarities between them. I like the idea that they might be hash of some sort or, or that there might be some sort of order linking one PC' serial number to the other
    I think we need a project going to collect the serial numbers. I don't know what the best way to go about this is.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    At least listening to NTAE is really a special experience now. Just try reading the blog while listening to the music.. it's mental.

But what are those serial numbers ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    At least listening to NTAE is really a special experience now. Just try reading the blog while listening to the music.. it's mental.

But what are those serial numbers ?
    I did that last night, highly recommend.

As far as the serials, I am interested in collecting them for analysis. I do not have an estimate as to how many AV physical components are in existence, so I don't know how many individual serial numbers are out there. My idea right now is to set up an email address (xxxmangolacroixxxx@fistfuckme.daddy most likely) and ask on reddit, here, facebook, most social media platforms for anyone with a physical component to email a picture of their serial number. Then compile from there.
    Anyone interested?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpapercuts View Post
    What we know:

In 2007 TR was disappointed the ARG was solved so fast. He also said in 2007 "But we put a lot of effort into little things like that, to try to really make an experience that broke down the idea that you come and see concerts, two bands play, you drink a beer, you go to the bathroom, you go home. And ideally in the future the plan is to work with them again. It's something that's probably less classic ARGish and more about breaking that audience performer barrier down into something that — we haven't figured it out yet." ((bolding mine, for emphasis))

In 2017 TR is quoted saying "I like the depth. With the new EPs, I liked world-building, and writing music that can sit in that world. I was always the guy who desperately wanted the Dark Side of the Moon to line up with The Wizard of Oz. I wanted to believe somebody was so far out of their mind that they figured that out. Fuck, I got goose bumps just thinking about that possibility right now — the idea that someone could be thinking so hard about an album." ((again, bolding mine))

Pink Floyd has admitted to not intentionally doing this, which he would know, so... what artist is he thinking of that gave him goosebumps?

Himself, perhaps? In fact, isn't TR known to be the guy who steps in and does stuff himself when he wants to see it done?

Based on that, I propose that this is clearly an ARG, the more complex one that he wanted and has been planning since 2007. I propose that over the last decade, he used spare lyrics to build websites, seeding them for future use whenever he got around to it. I believe we will continue to find websites "from the past" that reference current lyrics. I don't think it's crazy at all to think TR and crew have been laying the groundwork for their next ARG over a long period of time. They are meticulous and they plan things. Ten years doesn't seem that long when you've already been a rock god for twenty.

Source interviews:
    http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent...nch-nails.html

https://www.wired.com/2007/12/ff-arg-reznor/
    I want to kiss you.

Consensually, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just to verify how this all got started - could somebody post a scan of this alleged CD-booklet where it say cocksucking chicken wing?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahdriley View Post
    I think we need a project going to collect the serial numbers. I don't know what the best way to go about this is.

okay, let's try to do this! Submit your SN here: https://goo.gl/forms/nlArDF8KZAFpoobq2

Once we'll have enough SNs I'll export the results and I'll post them here for everyone to see and analyse. No emails and personal data other than the SN will be collected
    Last edited by arsenic; 02-22-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think it would be wise to check again all those things from both EP that we couldn’t figure out before.

- Burning Bright video

- NTAE physical component:
    • dots/morse code in Branches/Bones
    • i can’t remember if there’s more hidden stuff there.

What else?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    Just to verify how this all got started - could somebody post a scan of this alleged CD-booklet where it say cocksucking chicken wing?
    Hesitation Marks posted a copy of my pics on Facebook. Check it out there if ya can.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I think it would be wise to check again all those things from both EP that we couldn’t figure out before.

- Burning Bright video

- NTAE physical component:
    • dots/morse code in Branches/Bones
    • i can’t remember if there’s more hidden stuff there.

What else?
    Did we ever figure out the machine teaser that Trent posted, or was that just a masterful troll move by TR?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I cannot believe that after an entire year, you guys are still trying to force an imaginary ARG where there clearly isn't one. I love these forums, but god, do I hate the weird obsession with ARGs it has. Some of you guys are crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    I don't get the fascination with fans wanting an ARG for these Eps as much as they want one.
    Some people are hardcore gamers, puzzle fanatics, unsolved mystery obsessives etc and love this shit.

People like myself don't particularly care to participate directly, but enjoy watching the whole thing unfold. I, for one, think it's pretty cool how TR has taken his vision and expanded it beyond music itself so it's embedded into culture (assuming that's what's going on here, of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I see.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I cannot believe that after an entire year, you guys are still trying to force an imaginary ARG where there clearly isn't one. I love these forums, but god, do I hate the weird obsession with ARGs it has. Some of you guys are crazy.
    I'm with ya. I loved the Year Zero ARG and had fun participating in it 10 years ago, but I think it was simultaneously one of the best and worst things to happen here because now every time something can't be easily or immediately explained, half of ETS jumps to the conclusion that it's part of some insanely elaborate ARG. (And yes, I do remember how elaborate some parts of the Year Zero ARG were, but when we found something new, it was almost always pretty clear that it was part of the ARG without having to consult Rob, Trent, or someone from 42 Entertainment.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is either one of the coolest or one of the most disappointing or weird things to happen to NIN recently.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This is a really cool find, but if the text really dates back to 2011, I don't think there's a chance this is an ARG. It's way more likely it was just inspiring to Trent; he has done plenty of web surfing in and out of the NIN community in his life. I think Trent just got inspired by something odd on the internet. I'm also not sure that it's unethical, since it was posted by the person while they were in a more medicated state; it would be different if it was one of those videos posted by paranoid people who think they're being stalked or whatever, but I think this is fine. It frames the song a bit differently, maybe, and it is uncomfortable in the way older 90s NIN is because it goes to a truly dark place.

I still think the EP's framework is pretty clear with the Still/Fragile era font: it's a look back at what might have been if Trent travelled down a different, less healthy path. The ravings of an unwell person fit pretty nicely into that path. Drug abuse doesn't always lead to death, but to insanity as well.

Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow this is wild. It definitely adds to the NTAE experience, intentional or not. My two cents...
    I find it hard to believe that TR would put something so specific as cocksucking chicken wing, on an album that he knew the fans would pore over, word for unsung word, if he didn't want this found. Written by him or not, this was meant to be seen and meant to be part of the experience. ARG no, but world/lore/mood building.....yes.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events: schizophreniasdiary

If the blog is related to TR somehow then it’s very Lynchian. The diary of Laura Palmer was written by David Lynch’s daughter. I read it after I watched twin peaks. It added another layer to the story but it didn’t provide any answers to my twin peaks questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'm with ya. I loved the Year Zero ARG and had fun participating in it 10 years ago, but I think it was simultaneously one of the best and worst things to happen here because now every time something can't be easily or immediately explained, half of ETS jumps to the conclusion that it's part of some insanely elaborate ARG. (And yes, I do remember how elaborate some parts of the Year Zero ARG were, but when we found something new, it was almost always pretty clear that it was part of the ARG without having to consult Rob, Trent, or someone from 42 Entertainment.)
    I'm not sure if you purchased the PC (physical component) that came with AV, but it specifically states, "WorldIntegrationAndExecution_42Entertainment" in the credits section. I do get your point though, it does seem like some people are grasping for anything, but... I think that's just because there hasn't been much movement or progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    I'm not sure if you purchased the PC (physical component) that came with AV, but it specifically states, "WorldIntegrationAndExecution_42Entertainment" in the credits section. I do get your point though, it does seem like some people are grasping for anything, but... I think that's just because there hasn't been much movement or progress.
    Yeah, I can't understand how so many people miss the forest for the trees this way.

Guy who makes an ARG says he wants to make another ARG

Guy releases mysterious artwork that connects to weird website in the style exactly like one of the weird websites from first ARG

Guy releases mysterious artwork that specifically goes out of its way to mention ARG creators

Fans: IT'S NOT AN ARG GUYS.

Come ooooooonnnnnnnnn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to whomever started the Serial Number collection, I've added mine.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    I do own it and I was aware of that mention, but I don't think this has anything to do with that. And aside from the artwork/physical component of Add Violence and the music video for This Isn't the Place, is there ANYTHING else that we can say is legitimately connected to any kind of ARG? It's been 8 months since it came out, so if they were going to promote that EP with an ARG, I think they would have done it by now. I completely agree that people are reaching due to the absence of movement, progress, or news, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone has to have access to the Archive.org snapshots/database. Assuming it does have something to do with an ARG related to the EPs, then it wouldn't surprise me if they have some sort of connection to people at Wordpress and Archive.org. They explain what they're doing, provide some timestamps to the relevant parties at both sites, and a database update could easily make it look like it was legitimately posted and scraped from back in 2011.

The other option of Trent lifting lyrical lines from this really random blog post doesn't sit right with me. Nothing is what it seems, and these are not the actual events.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, I can't understand how so many people miss the forest for the trees this way.

Guy who makes an ARG says he wants to make another ARG

Guy releases mysterious artwork that connects to weird website in the style exactly like one of the weird websites from first ARG

Guy releases mysterious artwork that specifically goes out of its way to mention ARG creators

Fans: IT'S NOT AN ARG GUYS.

Come ooooooonnnnnnnnn
    Fans who think Trent had the foresight to plant a WordPress blog as part of an ARG 7 years in advance? Come oooooooooonnnnnnnnnn
    But seriously, I do understand WANTING a new ARG to be unveiled. I just REALLY don't think this is it.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 02-22-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=sweeterthan;396402]If the blog is related to TR somehow then it’s very Lynchian. The diary of Laura Palmer was written by David Lynch’s daughter. I read it after I watched twin peaks. It added another layer to the story but it didn’t provide any answers to my twin peaks questions.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/c..._the_red_room/

First thing that came up on Google searching for "The floating shadow of thought", an unspoken line on the AV pc from The Background World. Coincidences rock!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks to whomever started the Serial Number collection, I've added mine.
    I guess you're welcome.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    From what I can tell it's pretty damn easy to predate a post. I don't think this thing was actually posted in 2011; it's just made to look that way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    From what I can tell it's pretty damn easy to predate a post. I don't think this thing was actually posted in 2011; it's just made to look that way.
    Yeah, but you can't predate a record in archive.org. archive.org is an automated webcrawler that archives websites, ran by an independent organization.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Yeah, but you can't predate a record in archive.org. archive.org is an automated webcrawler that archives websites, ran by an independent organization.
    Yeah, but couldn't archive.org do it? Maybe Trent reached out to them or something.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Yeah, but couldn't archive.org do it? Maybe Trent reached out to them or something.
    No