Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mgmt

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mgmt

MGMT is coming out with a new album September 17th. At least someone knows how to be experimental these days....

Alien Days:

https://soundcloud.com/whoismgmt/alien-days

Life is a Lie.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I really liked Congratulations, and it was in my top 10 in 2010, but this new song is awful. I do like how they've completely shed every image of the pop group they once were.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I actually really like both Alien Days and Your Life Is A Lie (yeah I get that it's repetitive but it's interesting about it)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    'congratulations' kinda sucked, but the teensy show i saw in salt lake city supporting it didn't. "time to pretend" will probably always be one of my favorites, but i dunno ...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    'congratulations' kinda sucked, but the teensy show i saw in salt lake city supporting it didn't. "time to pretend" will probably always be one of my favorites, but i dunno ...
    Congratulations sucked? They've never made a better song than Flash Delirium. There first album was way too simple and repetitive, and Time to Pretend was the only real winner off it. I totally was expecting nothing from them after it, but then along came Congratulations.

They're definitely not afraid to piss off their fans, I like that in a band (except when it's an excuse for being lazy). There is a lot going on in both of these songs, headphones required.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Holy crap. I finally heard this new song finally and I'm in love with it. That video is perfection too. This is easily one of my most anticipated records this year, Congratulations is EXTREMELY underrated.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Congratulations sucked? They've never made a better song than Flash Delirium. There first album was way too simple and repetitive, and Time to Pretend was the only real winner off it. I totally was expecting nothing from them after it, but then along came Congratulations.

They're definitely not afraid to piss off their fans, I like that in a band (except when it's an excuse for being lazy). There is a lot going on in both of these songs, headphones required.
    Kids and Electric Feel aren't good either?

I'll check out this new album for sure.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Kids and Electric Feel aren't good either?

I'll check out this new album for sure.
    Good, but highly repetitive. Shows promise, but lacks depth. I was sort of going to write them off after the first album, because I didn't think they had the grit to make more challenging material. But I am happy to say I was wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Congratulations is EXTREMELY underrated.
    I second that. I didn't love it on first listen, but it more than grew on me. Love that band.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i don't like it. *shrug*

"your life is a lie" feels like a modern suicide track. it's growing on me ...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How could a band that I loved so much initially become so terrible?
    Oracular Spectacular... great frigging album... and diverse
    Congratulations... blah... and these two new tracks... ugh!

I remember reading before work had begun on Congratulations that MGMT wanted to have The Chemical Brothers produce the next album.
    Now that would have been something amazing... Chemical Brothers proved they can handle the psychedelic rock aspect with songs like Let Forever Be and Dissolve.
    I wish that they would try this out one day... MGMT and Chemical Brothers would make a delicious mix musically if you ask me.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the knitting factory show is sold out. shiiiiiiiit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    New promo video. It's fucking hilarious.

It's amazing to see people who are serious about their music, but at the same time don't take themselves too seriously. (T Rez should take notes)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Album leaked. I'm at song 2 which is cleverly titled "Cool Song No.2" and it's weird as fuck. I kinda like it.

Alien Days is okay I guess. I'm really not what one would call a fan but I do enjoy some of their songs.
    Now playing song 3 "Mystery Disease". There's a really dark feel to this album so far. I don't recall their previous albums sounding like that. Love that song.
    "Introspection" is a total miss for me.
    "Life is a Lie" - Was ok but really meh to be quite honest.
    "A Good Sadness" - Absolutely loved it.
    "Astro-Mancy" - Above average. Good song.
    "I Love You Too, Death" - What the fuck was that? Didn't get that one.
    "Plenty of Girls in Sea" - Another miss for me.
    "An Orphan of Fortune" - I get this weird Beatles vibe like Alien Days. Like the the Beatles on LSD.

Best song in my opinion is Mystery Disease.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 09-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    disappointed with the new album...
    love Oracular Spectaular...
    found Congratulations to be boring and this album is just a part 2 of that
    such a shame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album is amazing and I Love You Too, Death is the best song MGMT has ever done.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just heard the album. It's pretty good. I like the fact that it's got some weird stuff though I more prefer Congratulations was better than this album but I still like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    every time I listen it gets better what witchcraft is this

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    My favorite song on the album so far is "Plenty of Girls in the Sea". I like their sense of humor.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    My favorite song on the album so far is "Plenty of Girls in the Sea". I like their sense of humor.
    The live version of this on Kimmel was absolutely killer.

FYI, a lot of the MP3s of this on the internet are terrible quality. The official stream is good quality.
    http://mgmt.rdioexclusives.com/

The album becomes more amazing with each listen. There is so much going on in each song.

It's kinda what I was hoping for with the new NIN. An album which would confuse me, but leave me intrigued on the first listen, and then grow to love it as i listened to it more.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    New album is great! I actually haven't been able to stop listening to it since it leaked earlier this week. It's got a nice mixture on where they were at on Congratulations and touching on some newer spacier tendencies. Working with the Flaming Lips certainly helped their sound cause some of this reminds me of the Flaming Lips newest record but not as depressing as that one is.

I hear a lot of Animal Collective in this one too when it comes to how some of the melodies are structured, especially where like AnCo was at during the Fall Be Kind EP sound.

Think my favorite tracks are "Astro-Mancy" and "I Love You Too, Death" so far. I'm kind of shocked at the negative response this record has been getting so far..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This album is insane. These guys have such balls and artistic integrity.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm gonna come out and say I like MGMT. I'm rooting for them. I like them for the same reasons that I like bands like Banda de Turistas (a band from Argentina), Part Time, Seu Jorge, Death Grips, etc: they are not NIN. MGMT gives me variety along with those other bands mentioned. Having said that, I like Oracular Spectacular while I haven't got into Congratulations yet. I know that MGMT have been getting fans scratching their heads with their self titled release, but I like it. I understand their brand of music. I understand that they are not gonna replicate a song like Kids nor do they want to. That's what I've been listening to for the past few days. I'm rooting you, MGMT.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just saw these guys in LA. Probably my favorite show ive been to holy shit.......What an incredible repertoire they have

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Coachella 2014. Great versions of Time to Pretend, Flash Delirium, Kids, and Electric Feel. Might be the best live set i've ever seen of the.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    New Single

A Little Dark Age

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    This band just cannot recapture that early energy/sound. At least for me. Did not like this song at all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'll say this, the new single is better than their last couple of albums. But that's not saying much. I'm sorry, but nothing beats Oracular Spectacular. They just can't capture the life and energy felt with that album. I tried many times to listen to their other albums and I just become bored. They do nit connect with me and the music feels aimless. I'm sorry, but they can't do psychedelic indie rock good at all. Leave that to Animal Collective.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'll say this, the new single is better than their last couple of albums. But that's not saying much. I'm sorry, but nothing beats Oracular Spectacular. They just can't capture the life and energy felt with that album. I tried many times to listen to their other albums and I just become bored. They do nit connect with me and the music feels aimless. I'm sorry, but they can't do psychedelic indie rock good at all. Leave that to Animal Collective.
    Animal Collective never produced a song better than Flash Delirium. Not even close. And I think the consensus among most MGMT fans is that Congratulations is probably MGMT's best album.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 10-18-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    This band just cannot recapture that early energy/sound. At least for me. Did not like this song at all.
    I don't think they ever wanted to. They make the music that they want to listen to. And I think their best album, Congratulations only received the flak that it is because it was so far outside of expectations in terms of style. It's really a masterpiece.