Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Oscars 2018

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Bit confused about why Eddie Vedder is singing a Tom Petty song in the In Memoriam section. What do either of them have to do with film?
    Eddie Vedder is one of the last classic rockers alive and Tom Petty passed away so it also kind of honors him too, I guess? I thought it was fine.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    every-time " shape of water won"my friend kept saying so what it's just a movie about a lady who likes fish-sticks i laughed.. once
    -Louie

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm so happy for Guillermo del Toro! I'm a huge fan and I think he's one of the greatest filmmakers today, someone with a geniun vision and something to say.

I'm also happy for Jordn Peele for that best original screenplay! Good year for horror!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I would have liked I, Tonya to win a bit more (i personally thought it was one of the best of the Oscar films) but i'm fairly OK with those that won, The Shape of Water, Get Out and Blade Runner specifically.

Now we can move onto the big dumb summer films of robots punching each other, foul mouthed superhero's and infinity war.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    every-time " shape of water won"my friend kept saying so what it's just a movie about a lady who likes fish-sticks i laughed.. once
    -Louie
    grinding nemo.

EDIT:
    BIG TIME HARD LINE BAD LUCK FISH FUCK
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-05-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Jonny Greenwood not winning hurt me inside.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I thought Kimmel was pretty funny. Could do without the Me Too commentary from a guy who hosted The Man Show, but I understand that isn't a direct correlation. And it was a very long time ago.

The Chinese Theatre invasion bit was pretty damn good, even if it seemed like the audience knew something was coming (prolly not Gail Gidot handing them Red Vines & Armie Hammer shooting hot dogs at them from a gun, but you get my point).

Eddie Veddier singing Tom Petty was prolly done for eyeballs, nothing more. I know I wanted to hear it.

I thought Blade Runner should have gotten more of the technical awards.

Anyone hating on Shape of Water needs to see it first.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I love The Shape of Water but personally, I think Dunkirk should've won Best Picture and Best Director though I'm happy Guillermo finally got his Oscar. Plus, I'm very happy that Roger Deakins.... FINALLY.... got his Oscar.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Too bad they dissed Adam West by not including him in the In Memoriam...
    http://www.nme.com/news/film/batman-...egment-2254763

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    They also missed Tobe Hooper, even though they included a clip from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in their 90th anniversary montage.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Too bad they dissed Adam West by not including him in the In Memoriam...
    http://www.nme.com/news/film/batman-...egment-2254763
    I also heard they snubbed Frank "Billy Bats" Vincent.... Vincent and Hooper is one thing but.... snubbing Batman Classic is just blasphemy.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Overall, I'm very happy with these results. Del Toro deserved all the love in the world. Jordan Peele winning made me scream out loud with joy. My man Sam Rockwell almost made me cry with his dedication to Philip Seymour Hoffman. The movie theater stunt was fantastic.

Some jokes fell flat but others had me in stitches. I don't know why but "I speak yiddish" had me laughing for the longest time. My girl Sandra Bullock and her lowering of the lights bit was so meta it hurted. And Jodie Foster's "Streep; she I,Tonya-ed me" was awesome. I had forgotten how funny she can be.

I was wondering who was forgotten in the In Memoriam piece but I could not remember anyone so thank you, Internet, for the answer.

I know some people were annoyed at all the past movies montage but they made me want to watch a bucket load of these movies again.

Rita Moreno; enough said.

Am I the only one who thinks Gary Oldman was a bit... arrogant?

But what a great way to spend a Sunday night.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Rita Moreno and Eva Marie Saint are the embodiment of what class should be.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I honestly don't understand why everyone loves Dunkirk so much. I love almost all of Christopher Nolan's other movies (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, Interstellar, The Prestige), but when I saw Dunkirk in the theater, I felt a little underwhelmed. I thought it looked good from the trailer, and I'd heard it was amazing. I WANTED to like it, but maybe my expectations had been set too high by rave reviews and friends that raved about how great it was. I just thought it was okay. Maybe I need to watch it again (sometimes my second viewing changes my first impression of a movie and allows me to see it for what it is, rather than what it isn't or what everyone told me to expect). Regardless, I'm glad that The Shape of Water won Best Picture, I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Saoirse Ronan has replaced Jennifer Lawrence as my favorite young actress in Hollywood. I've seen all her films except The Lovely Bones. She's only 23 and she's been nominated for 3 Oscars. She is almost flawless in her performances. She just seems like a breath of fresh air compared to all the other girls in La La Land. She can do Irish, English and American accents. She is so versatile. If you've watched Lady Bird then you know she can also sing. She could be in a musical. She can do whatever she sets her mind to do. This girl deserves her own thread. She has a really bright future ahead of her.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)