Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

The Oscars 2018

It's that time again...loving the Best Picture crowd this year...and Blade Runner 2049!!

Best Picture:

“Call Me by Your Name”
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Dunkirk”
    “Get Out”
    “Lady Bird”
    “Phantom Thread”
    “The Post”
    “The Shape of Water”
    “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Lead Actor:

Timothée Chalamet, “Call Me by Your Name”
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
    Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”
    Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
    Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

Lead Actress:

Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water”
    Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya”
    Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”
    Meryl Streep, "The Post"

Supporting Actor:

Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
    Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
    Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
    Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Supporting Actress:

Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
    Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
    Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”
    Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
    Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water”

Director:

"Dunkirk," Christopher Nolan

“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
    "Lady Bird," Greta Gerwig
    “Phantom Thread,” Paul Thomas Anderson
    “The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro

Animated Feature:

“The Boss Baby,” Tom McGrath, Ramsey Ann Naito
    “The Breadwinner,” Nora Twomey, Anthony Leo
    “Coco,” Lee Unkrich, Darla K. Anderson
    “Ferdinand,” Carlos Saldanha
    “Loving Vincent,” Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman, Sean Bobbitt, Ivan Mactaggart, Hugh Welchman

Animated Short:

“Dear Basketball,” Glen Keane, Kobe Bryant
    “Garden Party,” Victor Caire, Gabriel Grapperon
    “Lou,” Dave Mullins, Dana Murray
    “Negative Space,” Max Porter, Ru Kuwahata
    “Revolting Rhymes,” Jakob Schuh, Jan Lachauer

Adapted Screenplay:

“Call Me by Your Name,” James Ivory
    “The Disaster Artist,” Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber
    “Logan,” Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green
    “Molly’s Game,” Aaron Sorkin
    “Mudbound,” Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

Original Screenplay:

“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
    “Get Out,” Jordan Peele
    “Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
    “The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
    “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh

Cinematography:

“Blade Runner 2049,” Roger Deakins
    “Darkest Hour,” Bruno Delbonnel
    “Dunkirk,” Hoyte van Hoytema
    "Mudbound," Rachel Morrison
    “The Shape of Water,” Dan Laustsen

Best Documentary Feature:

“Abacus: Small Enough to Jail,” Steve James, Mark Mitten, Julie Goldman
    “Faces Places,” JR, Agnès Varda, Rosalie Varda
    “Icarus,” Bryan Fogel, Dan Cogan
    “Last Men in Aleppo,” Feras Fayyad, Kareem Abeed, Soren Steen Jepersen
    “Strong Island,” Yance Ford, Joslyn Barnes

Best Documentary Short Subject:

“Edith+Eddie,” Laura Checkoway, Thomas Lee Wright
    “Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405,” Frank Stiefel
    “Heroin(e),” Elaine McMillion Sheldon, Kerrin Sheldon
    “Knife Skills,” Thomas Lennon
    “Traffic Stop,” Kate Davis, David Heilbroner

Best Live Action Short Film:

“DeKalb Elementary,” Reed Van Dyk
    “The Eleven O’Clock,” Derin Seale, Josh Lawson
    “My Nephew Emmett,” Kevin Wilson, Jr.
    “The Silent Child,” Chris Overton, Rachel Shenton
    “Watu Wote/All of Us,” Katja Benrath, Tobias Rosen

Best Foreign Language Film:

“A Fantastic Woman” (Chile)
    “The Insult” (Lebanon)
    “Loveless” (Russia)
    “On Body and Soul (Hungary)
    “The Square” (Sweden)

Film Editing:

“Baby Driver,” Jonathan Amos, Paul Machliss
    “Dunkirk,” Lee Smith
    “I, Tonya,” Tatiana S. Riegel
    “The Shape of Water,” Sidney Wolinsky
    “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Jon Gregory

Sound Editing:

“Baby Driver,” Julian Slater
    “Blade Runner 2049,” Mark Mangini, Theo Green
    “Dunkirk,” Alex Gibson, Richard King
    “The Shape of Water,” Nathan Robitaille, Nelson Ferreira
    “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Ren Klyce, Matthew Wood

Sound Mixing:

“Baby Driver,” Mary H. Ellis, Julian Slater, Tim Cavagin
    “Blade Runner 2049,” Mac Ruth, Ron Bartlett, Doug Hephill
    “Dunkirk,” Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker, Gary A. Rizzo
    “The Shape of Water,” Glen Gauthier, Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern
    “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Stuart Wilson, Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick

Production Design:

“Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood; Katie Spencer
    “Blade Runner 2049,” Dennis Gassner, Alessandra Querzola
    “Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
    “Dunkirk,” Nathan Crowley, Gary Fettis
    “The Shape of Water,” Paul D. Austerberry, Jeffrey A. Melvin, Shane Vieau

Original Score:

“Dunkirk,” Hans Zimmer
    “Phantom Thread,” Jonny Greenwood
    “The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat
    “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” John Williams
    “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Carter Burwell

Original Song:

“Mighty River” from “Mudbound,” Mary J. Blige
    “Mystery of Love” from “Call Me by Your Name,” Sufjan Stevens
    “Remember Me” from “Coco,” Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez
    “Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall,” Diane Warren, Common
    “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” Benj Pasek, Justin Paul

Makeup and Hair:

“Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick
    “Victoria and Abdul,” Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard
    “Wonder,” Arjen Tuiten

Costume Design:

“Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
    “Darkest Hour,” Jacqueline Durran
    “Phantom Thread,” Mark Bridges
    “The Shape of Water,” Luis Sequeira
    “Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle

Visual Effects:

“Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Paul Lambert, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer
    “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner, Dan Sudick
    “Kong: Skull Island,” Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza, Mike Meinardus
    “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Chris Corbould, Neal Scanlon
    “War for the Planet of the Apes,” Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett, Joel Whist

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Fairly decent selection, i do have a few opinions on some of these though.

Firstly, how didn't Blade Runner 2049 get a best score nom? It was freaking amazing!

Secondly...FREAKING BOSS BABY? I swear the animated category annoys me more every year

And Thirdly, why isn't The Shape of Water out over here yet, I NEED TO SEE IT!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    It's clear that the science-fiction genre is simply not fit for the Oscars or Golden Globes.
    Blade Runner 2049 got rave reviews and got snubbed from all the major categories.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    It's clear that the science-fiction genre is simply not fit for the Oscars or Golden Globes.
    Blade Runner 2049 got rave reviews and got snubbed from all the major categories.
    I agree for the Globes, the Oscars have always had an air of snobbry around them, hence why there are so many films this time of year dubbed 'Oscar bait' because they've been made just for them. Though i am surprised and glad they've listed Get Out for a few of the big noms, so maybe they're finally starting to accept other films (horror in this example) can be great, but maybe a bit too soon for Blade Runner 2049.

No excuses for the Globes though, the 'Best Musical/Comedy' category is a joke and is basically their 'everything that doesn't fit best picture' category...and Blade Runner couldn't even get into that, but the martian could!?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is an excellent movie and I'd be happy if it won Best Picture. BR2049 should get all the technical awards, just like Gravity. Baby Driver deserves props for Sound Editing, though. Also, Fincher's longtime sound guy (and friend of Trentticus) Ren "It Needs To Be Louder" Klyce gets two more Oscar noms! Let's hope he scores an award this time.

EDIT: Also, no Best Director nom for
    Martin McDonagh? Gah.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My predictions:

Best picture: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best Actor: Gary Oldman

Best Actress: Frances McDormand

Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro

Spencer is the one I'm least certain of. I'm splitting Best Picture and Best Director because
    Martin McDonagh was indeed snubbed and both pictures are worthy so I am predicting the split.

Speaking of Split: the movie came out almost a year ago (January 26 2016) so of course everyone has forgotten how fantastic it was. You'll never convinced me that McAvoy wasn't snubbed.

"Logan" is nominated in Best Adapted Screenplay, my friends.

Also: I'm seeing on the Net that "OMFG James Franco is not nominated because he's suffering from metoo-itis!" I believe the voting was done before the allegations against him came out so...

Also bis: A woman and an African American in the Best Director category? How avant-garde, Academy! Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it! /sarcasim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    My predictions:

Best picture: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best Actor: Gary Oldman

Best Actress: Frances McDormand

Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer

Best Director: Guillermo del Toro

Spencer is the one I'm least certain of. I'm splitting Best Picture and Best Director because
    Martin McDonagh was indeed snubbed and both pictures are worthy so I am predicting the split.

Speaking of Split: the movie came out almost a year ago (January 26 2016) so of course everyone has forgotten how fantastic it was. You'll never convinced me that McAvoy wasn't snubbed.

"Logan" is nominated in Best Adapted Screenplay, my friends.

Also: I'm seeing on the Net that "OMFG James Franco is not nominated because he's suffering from metoo-itis!" I believe the voting was done before the allegations against him came out so...

Also bis: A woman and an African American in the Best Director category? How avant-garde, Academy! Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it! /sarcasim

Is this who you want to win? or is this who you think will win?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    Is this who you want to win? or is this who you think will win?
    It's who I *know* will win.

My friend, I've been watching the Oscars since 1982 and I've gotten pretty good at guessing this. But I do want Sam Rockwell to win because I adore him. Del Toro too.

I haven't seen any of these movies, by the way. I don't *have* too. For my predictions, I'm having 2 criteria: momentum and who is "due". Oldman is due.

The Oscars are the physical manifestation of my cynicism, by the way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's who I *know* will win.

My friend, I've been watching the Oscars since 1982 and I've gotten pretty good at guessing this. But I do want Sam Rockwell to win because I adore him. Del Toro too.

I haven't seen any of these movies, by the way. I don't *have* too. For my predictions, I'm having 2 criteria: momentum and who is "due". Oldman is due.

The Oscars are the physical manifestation of my cynicism, by the way.
    I think Willem Defoe is underrated and due, but I am fine with either him or Rockwell winning. Yes Gary Oldman should win. Actress well you have Meryl and Frances in there and they are both monsters at their craft, but you never know that one could be a surprise. You have a different director from best picture, it happens but that doesn't happen that often. Best Picture I think will be a toss up between the Post and Billboards, but I really think La La Land has a chance of winning this year.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

And a Mexican!!!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    And a Mexican!!!
    And none of you motherfuckers diss my Guillermito.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wait, there's new movie with Daniel Day-Lewis? :-O OK, starts in February here, must check that out, There Will Be Blood is unbelievable. As for Oscars, pfft.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm fine with almost all of these nominations.

Blade Runner wasn't snubbed because it was sci-fi. It likely had a small Oscar campaign and because it underperformed so heavily was largely forgotten -- it didn't get a lot of major attention at any awards ceremony, not just here. It's unfortunate but it's just as unfortunate that The Florida Project didn't get a Best Picture nod and odds are it was due to the same reason -- a low push from the studio. Shape of Water is a movie about a lady and a fishman that fucks and it has more nominations than anything else here, Get Out has a Best Picture nomination along with several other major category nods and in general this is a fairly diverse, genre-friendly year.

Shape of Water has a ton of momentum and I think it's likely that Three Billboards will get BP and del Toro will finally get himself a Best Director. It's refreshing to see PT Anderson getting so much attention again and I hope Greenwood grabs Best Score -- Phantom Thread really was some of his finest work and I don't see it getting too many other awards due to the competition and lack of prior attention at other ceremonies going in. Best Actress and both Best Supportings are crazy-stacked. Last year was unusually strong for movies in general. Rockwell's got the strongest shot and Metcalf and Janney could both easily walk away with an award.

Also I'm really hoping Stevens gets Best Original Song -- his music in Call Me By Your Name devastated me. I doubt it'll happen, but if Chalamet got Best Actor for it, I'd be so thrilled.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 01-23-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I find it funny how the net's getting in a twist about Franco not getting a best actor nod, but it makes sense to me, having seen the Disaster Artist. It was OK, and his performance was good...but Oscar worthy, and compared to everyone else nominated?...no. If you're going to nominate Franco for that then you need McAvoy for Split and Hackman for Logan, both were easily on par, if not better, then Franco's IMO.

I'm still annoyed by Boss Baby, i wish the Oscar voters would treat the animation category with the same respect as the others, rather then every year just throwing a couple of average animations (which i'd be amazed if they'd even watched!) to make up the numbers! There were some fantastic animations last year...but at least they didn't plump for Despicable Me 3, that was fucking trash!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    I think Willem Defoe is underrated and due, but I am fine with either him or Rockwell winning. Yes Gary Oldman should win. Actress well you have Meryl and Frances in there and they are both monsters at their craft, but you never know that one could be a surprise. You have a different director from best picture, it happens but that doesn't happen that often. Best Picture I think will be a toss up between the Post and Billboards, but I really think La La Land has a chance of winning this year.
    Willem Defoe is long overdue. I still believe he should have won for Shadow of the Vampire. He was absolutely magnificent in it and he even outshined John Malkovich, which is a feast in itself. Everything points at Rockwell but I would be very happy to see Willem win. It is indeed rare that there is a split for best pic and best director so I believe it is possible that they will give off these two to del Toro (which he deserves too) and that they will give two acting categories to Three Billboards. A little bit for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I find it funny how the net's getting in a twist about Franco not getting a best actor nod, but it makes sense to me, having seen the Disaster Artist. It was OK, and his performance was good...but Oscar worthy, and compared to everyone else nominated?...no. If you're going to nominate Franco for that then you need McAvoy for Split and Hackman for Logan, both were easily on par, if not better, then Franco's IMO.

I'm still annoyed by Boss Baby, i wish the Oscar voters would treat the animation category with the same respect as the others, rather then every year just throwing a couple of average animations (which i'd be amazed if they'd even watched!) to make up the numbers! There were some fantastic animations last year...but at least they didn't plump for Despicable Me 3, that was fucking trash!
    McAvoy cannot catch a break which is a freaking shame since he is one of the best actors out there. He should have been nominated for Last King of Scotland and for Atonement. And of course for Split.

It's possible the Academy was playing fill in in the animation category but let's face it: Coco is going to win.

And I read somewhere that my beloved fellow Canadian Donald Sutherland has one an Honorary Award from the Academy. Okay. Here Don; we're Honoring you with an Award. Just because. It's called an Honorary Award. Consider yourself Honored. /sarcasim.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just got back from seeing Phantom Thread. I don't use this term often, but I thought this film was wonderful. Great return to form for Anderson after the sloppy and disappointing Inherent Vice.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Darkest Hour was SO good and SURELY Oldman will get the nod for best actor. The Florida Project and I, Tonya both deserved best picture nominations imo. I liked both of them better than Dunkirk, The Post, and Three Billboards. I still need to see Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread and Lady Bird.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Watched Three Billboards the other night and found it shockingly bad. I couldn't believe how much I did not like it. It started with so much potential, had a great plot and great cast, and then it slowly became just ok, but kind of felt almost Taken-esque and just went off the rails. Then that ending was just complete garbage. Really disappointed.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Watched Three Billboards the other night and found it shockingly bad. I couldn't believe how much I did not like it. It started with so much potential, had a great plot and great cast, and then it slowly became just ok, but kind of felt almost Taken-esque and just went off the rails. Then that ending was just complete garbage. Really disappointed.
    I feel you!
    I didn't find think it was TERRIBLE, but I found it to be mediocre and forgettable. And when I figured out that it wasn't a true story, I felt like I had wasted my time watching it.
    I don't understand the hype at all. What's supposed to be so good about it?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Btw: I've got most of these movies in my Plex library; if anyone would like me to add you as a friend so you can access them, let me know

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Btw: I've got most of these movies in my Plex library; if anyone would like me to add you as a friend so you can access them, let me know
    I wouldn't be opposed to that! It's by email address right? If so, my email is imail724@gmail.com

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw Phantom Thread in cinema yesterday, all three main characters vere good but the movie itself... meh. I will watch There Will Be Blood today to remember how fantastic movie with Day-Lewis can be.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Why Shape of Water is nominated is beyond me. The movie was average at best. The only explanation I have is that people thought they were watching Amelie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wishful thinking:

BP = Dunkirk
    Actor = Oldman
    Actress = McDormand
    Director = Nolan
    Screenplay = Billboards
    Adapted = Molly
    Animated = Loving Vincent (seriously, this one deserving the award much more than another silly CGI comedy)
    Sound/Visual/Cinematography = hands down BR2049 (sorry, Dunkirk, they can't give two)

Haven't seen Phantom Thread or The Post (they both are only just opening in my area, as do All The Money, Lady Bird and Tonya, wtf?), but they both seem so much of an Oscar bait, I don't even know.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Sound/Visual/Cinematography = hands down BR2049
    Not a big fan of Blade Runner 2049, but surely that will be the film to finally give Roger Deakins his Oscar. If something else wins, I'm calling shenanigans.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For me, the Best Director race is the most interesting as I've seen all the films by those filmmakers as I could for anyone winning that. I think Guillermo will win it but I want P.T. Anderson to win it though I think The Shape of Water is the better film. Still, Dunkirk is the best film of 2017 and I want that film to win Best Picture but I don't think it will win.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    any opinions on clover field paradox, need to give it a second watch
    -Louie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw "Three Billboards..." and was wandering if it got also somebody else thinking about "Crash" (2004) - and yes it did.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Dunkirk bored the shit out of me. Lots of well-filmed setpieces and not much else. I get that it worked for a lot of people but good god it felt so hollow and boring to me.

The only movie I’m salty about getting significantly less nominations than it deserved is The Florida Project. It felt like it had so much momentum and then got lost in the shuffle at almost every single awards ceremony. It was beautiful and challenging and pulled something special off with very little.

I still haven’t been able to make myself care about seeing The Post or Darkest Hour, Darkest Hour especially. Absolutely nothing about it appeals to me at all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Bit confused about why Eddie Vedder is singing a Tom Petty song in the In Memoriam section. What do either of them have to do with film?