Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Pacific Rim

Del Toro's first film as director since the awesome Hellboy II.
    Trailer gives too much away, as often.
    http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/trailer

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I just would like to add my "FUCK YEAH!!!" to this thread.

This is without question the most awaited movie of 2013 in my book. Stoked!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I wonder what's going on with Tim Burton's Monsterpocalypse. It sounds a lot like Pacific Rim, but the giant monsters come from another planet. Hopefully it's still going forward..... I don't think there can be too many giant robots vs giant monsters movies.

http://screenrant.com/monsterpocalys...n-sandy-69189/

In somewhat related news, there's a new screenwriter for the Shadows of the Colossus movie:
    http://screenrant.com/shadow-of-the-...seth-lochhead/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Del Toro screened an almost finished cut for fans, and here are some reactions:

* Just saw "Pacific Rim." Thank You Guillermo Del Toro, thank you. I've been walking around in a daze for the last thirty minutes.

* I just saw the nearly-finished "Pacific Rim." I know I'm prone to hyperbolic statements... but believe me... "Pacific Rim" is STUNNING. The extended "Battle of Hong Kong" sequence is the greatest sustained sci-fi action sequence in cinema history. "Pacific Rim" is the most satisfying summer movie IN DECADES. It delivers EVERYTHING... and I mean EVERYTHING you could possibly want to see.

* Screened "Pacific Rim." It's everything you hoped for and more.

* Didn't love the movie as much as I thought I would, but Max did a great job and he looked good too.

* "Pacific Rim" was pretty awesome. It was also awesome cause it was free. And it was an early screening.

* "Pacific Rim" was the shiiiit. You can't go wrong with giant mecha battles.

* I just saw this movie called "Pacific Rim." It was a fun escape.

* I won't tell u how f*cking awesome this movie might be and I definitely won't tell u how you might exit the movie feeling six years old again. Once you see it, you'll want to see it again. And again. Until you come to realize it'll NEVER be enough. You are physically dizzy and exhausted from excitement when it's all over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I seriously hope this would be good as there's some good stuff on that trailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I cannot wait for this movie! It looks so fucking EPIC!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    New trailer:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I will gladly pay $100 for the wife and I to see this if they make an IMAX screen the size of a building just for it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    This is going to be so insane. I can't wait!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And it's Del Toro, he wouldn't do a blockbuster type movie unless there was real substance to back it up. He should send a card to Michael Bay that just says 'lol' on it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I hope it's really good. I love Guillermo del Toro's work. I know he has the smarts to make a blockbuster w/ substance. I just want him to tell Michael Bay... "Hey pendejo, this is how it's supposed to be done puta-madre!"

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    hmmm at the very least an exciting Giant Monster movie, aren't many of those these days. At the most an awesome Del Toro flick.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    http://io9.com/is-pacific-rim-destin...flop-576879105
    The trailer had me piqued; the posters suuuuuck, and make the movie look like shitty a Transformers knock-off.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Guys, it's absolutely worth the hype. Your inner six year old monster loving selves will have a fucking hay-day. Lets just say there's a scene where a giant Kaiju with bat wings grabs a robot and flies it into space and they fight in the stratosphere. Yep. It was incredible.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    So far, the reviews have been good where the consensus is that it's the film that is smarter than most blockbusters but also has enough to entertain the people. I won't be seeing it this weekend as I'm going to wait a week later.

I've decided to take a leave from the multiplexes due to an unfortunate experience with asshole texting next to me during the early moments of Man of Steel as I asked him to turn off his phone as he's texting which he refuses and he got very pissed and I ended up spitting him at him and just walked out of the theater.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Man, this movie looks so stupid to me. I'll probably get suckered into seeing it with friends or something. so I guess with my attitude about movies like this and the reviews that are coming in, I will probably end up impressed.

but really. this looks lame.

Its like transformers vs cloverfield vs godzilla. It doesnt need to be done. but whatever.

Unless somebody can tell me that its a smart film....

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I've decided to take a leave from the multiplexes due to an unfortunate experience with asshole texting next to me during the early moments of Man of Steel as I asked him to turn off his phone as he's texting which he refuses and he got very pissed and I ended up spitting him at him and just walked out of the theater.
    My wife and I got into the habit of seeing movies at the matinee (usually the 2 pm one), on weekdays, when you can have the whole theater to yourself even on a freshly released event movie. It's cheaper, too, and there are no teenage assholes!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Man, this movie looks so stupid to me. I'll probably get suckered into seeing it with friends or something. so I guess with my attitude about movies like this and the reviews that are coming in, I will probably end up impressed.

but really. this looks lame.

Its like transformers vs cloverfield vs godzilla. It doesnt need to be done. but whatever.

Unless somebody can tell me that its a smart film....
    Boy you must have been a really boring child.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Pacific Rim

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Boy you must have been a really boring child.
    Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know we weren't allowed to voice any of our personal opinions here. Or be able to discuss our tastes.

I'll go back to my white walled blank room now. And try not think about anything interesting.

Actually...

To be honest I'm not a fan of huge summer blockbusters. Typically they are just not that interesting to me.

Especially ones like transformers and Godzilla. This looks like that. And quite frankly I was disappointed when I saw that the man who gave us Pans Labyrinth was now offering this up. Just seems like a gigantic step backwards.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've never thought of Godzilla as ever being a summer blockbuster series. The only one that came towards that was the shitty remake. And Godzilla, believe it or not, wasn't always about a man in a rubber suit destroying shit. The first film is fairly mature, especially considering it came out not long after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and essentially was a reflection upon those events.

I don't think this is a step backwards at all. I think this new film shows how open minded Guillermo del Toro is. And for the record, yes, some giant mecha shows/movies are very shallow, but shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion prove that subjects like this can work and be taken seriously. I love how it essentially uses the mecha structure to its benefits, and turns it into something a lot more complex. In the beginning, it seems like the situation is the driving force, when really, it's the characters and their reactions that make it what it is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    But maybe I'm wrong.
    Yep. You're wrong. 100% wrong. This movie pisses all over any Transformers movie. Transformers 4? It already pisses on that. This was a spectacular movie in pretty much any sense. You know each Jaeger pilot so you feel for these people. This had more character depth than I thought it would. I can't wait to see it again, it was that unbelievably good. See it on the biggest screen you can and see it now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Pacific Rim

. Well maybe I'll check it out then.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Winning a Pacific Rim contest to name your own Jaeger and getting 4 movie passes (lol), shirt, statue, poster, and soundtrack? Awesome! Knowing the contest was for all of North America and IMAX and the official Pacific Rim twitter account judged yours as 2nd overall ?? Priceless.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Heard from 2 close friends this movie is fantastic and eats Transformers 1 for breakfast which is great news for me, I thought that movie was great!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well that was awesome! Most fun I've had at a theatre since Cabin in the Woods.

And for the love of god, be sure to see this in IMAX.
    Last edited by exilajei; 07-11-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post

The artist for the MGS and ZOE series, Yoji Shinkawa was also asked by Del Toro to draw a poster for the movie.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...tors-laud-film

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    God I love movies from folks who clearly love anime. Del Toro and Nolan are so good with that shit.

Really liked it!
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 07-12-2013 at 04:02 AM.