Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Things You Read on the Internet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Cool Things You Read on the Internet

I figured we could use a thread where you post interesting things you read on the internet. NOT a General Headlines thread, though I think any good articles that you find that explore a topic could absolutely be posted here, but I also mean things like The Onion and Thought Catalog and things. We all read too much awesome shit to not share.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 12-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I like this idea! Currently don't have anything to share, but I just wanted to let my support for your excellent thread be known!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Thanks, Elke! <3

Okay, I failed at changing the thread's title. I wanted it to say "Cool Things You Read on the Internet" instead of "Articles" because I felt that was too narrow. Also I should have added "johnbron" as a tag.

One of the most dead on articles about being an introvert I've ever read.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 12-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm curious, can you, the creator of the thread, go to the forum view and double click on the thread title that you created to change it? Because I can.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Nope. Not unless I'm missing something. Thanks for changing it, though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    No problem.

http://io9.com/5864384/worlds-bigges...our-finger-off

GIANT INSECT WILL EAT YOUR FINGER AND LAUGH AT YOUR WEAKNESS

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    No problem.

http://io9.com/5864384/worlds-bigges...our-finger-off

GIANT INSECT WILL EAT YOUR FINGER AND LAUGH AT YOUR WEAKNESS
    serenada
    01 Dec 2011 5:27 PM

That thing's way too big to lay eggs in your ear. It'd have to lay them in your anus or something.

lmao

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This website counts http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Slightly more serious, but I thought these articles and opinion pieces were rather interesting:
    - Marines Urinating On Corpses: What the Video Doesn't Show
    - Lucretius’ Poem “On the Nature of Things”: The Answer Man
    - Why Are Smart People Usually Ugly?

And, to throw in a lightweight: 10 Nagging Questions Left Open by Disney Movies

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    AWESOME! I can finally spam somewhere appropriate! Lydia, i love you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Wow, that actually sounds really good. I would watch that.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Would Maddox count here? I can see how that could be debatable though, because there are people that also thought that he's lost his edge a while ago. (Not just in ETS, I'm also referring to people in general as well.) I still like to read his entries from time to time, and I'm just glad to know that he's still keeping it going.

http://maddox.xmission.com/

His latest update is about math.

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I had fun reading this, though it's not really interesting : Swallowed by a whale — a true tale? It's actually more about how American whalers died in the 19th century, but still. It was a good read.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I had fun reading this, though it's not really interesting : Swallowed by a whale — a true tale? It's actually more about how American whalers died in the 19th century, but still. It was a good read.
    That was a pretty good read. It's pretty crazy the information that is out there.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah, isn't it? And I love reading about pointless things like whale-related injuries during 19th century whaling expeditions. I've always found you learn a lot more about human beings and their world by discovering seemingly useless tidbits of information, than by actually studying them.

Also found this very interesting, mostly because I'm a teacher myself: What Americans Keep Ignoring About Finland's School Success.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nixon's speechwriter had prepared a speech in case of a catastrophic event Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin could not return to Earth.

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.
    These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.
    These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.
    They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.
    In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.
    In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.
    Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.
    For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

http://watergate.info/nixon/moon-dis...ech-1969.shtml
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 01-19-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Nixon's speechwriter had prepared a speech in case of a catastrophic event Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin could not return to Earth.

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.
    These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.
    These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.
    They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.
    In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.
    In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.
    Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.
    For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

http://watergate.info/nixon/moon-dis...ech-1969.shtml
    Now picture it coming out of this guy:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would post a Futurama Nixon "Aroo!" gif, but I can't find one.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This is a fascinating read! For those interested in the topic of evolutionary psychology!
    http://edge.org/conversation/the-argumentative-theory

IT'S BLOWING MY MIND MAN.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Really interesting article about the homophobic atmosphere of a small town and its toll on the local youth.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Really interesting article about the homophobic atmosphere of a small town and its toll on the local youth.
    Ugh, i read that...so sad.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Definitely. I teared up a bit reading it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Am I a horrible person for having no interest in reading that? Homophobia pisses me of to no end...I just don't see what good could come from reading about an entire town of complete ass hats.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    This is a fascinating read! For those interested in the topic of evolutionary psychology!
    http://edge.org/conversation/the-argumentative-theory

IT'S BLOWING MY MIND MAN.

I'm always amazed at how modern scientists can pretend the things they find are 'new'. Just look back at the debates between philosophers and sophists in ancient Athens (think for instance Socrates) for the exact same insight.
    Ironically, new contexts don't create new truths, just different arguments to support the same basic concepts.

[/rant]

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I'm always amazed at how modern scientists can pretend the things they find are 'new'. Just look back at the debates between philosophers and sophists in ancient Athens (think for instance Socrates) for the exact same insight.
    Ironically, new contexts don't create new truths, just different arguments to support the same basic concepts.

[/rant]
    Heh, the one philosophy class i took wasn't a history one, so i don't know much know about what these debates are that you're talking about. I'll have to take the time to read up on it one day ( i've repeating "i'll have time to read ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!" after graduation, to keep me going through this last semester, hehe.)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Plato writes about them in The Sophist, and there's also some secondary litterature on it. If I have the time before Wednesday, I'll try to post it here. It's pretty interesting, from an epistemological point of view.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh I'd love to read it!

Also, astronomy is pretty interesting.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17117030

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Dolphins name themselves apparently! Neat.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._dolphins.html