Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Things Falling Apart

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    TFA brings to mind memories of a rainy day protecting my discman under my coat, biting my lower lip to the pleasureable sounds of the building acoustic guitars in The Wretched (version) and really finally making up my mind once and for all to check out "This Gary Numan guy everyone seems to be covering".

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    I would love to hear different interpretations of the more recent NIN stuff by TR/AR
    This. Trent always did the best remixes of the era.

Head Like A Hole (Opal)
    Like half of Fixed
    All The Pigs, All Lined Up, Closer To God, The Art of Self Destruction, Part One, The Beauty Of Being Numb
    The Perfect Drug
    TDTWWA (quiet), Slipping Away
    Still

I honestly don't really care about anyone else remixing the material unless they want to move it in a meaningful direction.

But I don't really think remix albums are viable nowadays. They seem to have all but disappeared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone compiled some tracks from Still and TFA to make a fan album called The Great Collapse, which is a wonderful companion album to The Fragile with a good flow. Can't remember where I got it (possibly the NIN forums in 2008) but its my preferred way to listen to my favorites from TFA and Still.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    TFA is easily my favorite remix album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millertd0513 View Post
    Someone compiled some tracks from Still and TFA to make a fan album called The Great Collapse, which is a wonderful companion album to The Fragile with a good flow. Can't remember where I got it (possibly the NIN forums in 2008) but its my preferred way to listen to my favorites from TFA and Still.
    Now that I'm not on my work computer...The Great Collapse tracklist (keep in mind, some of these have edits to make transitions seemless)

1. How It All Begins (from NIN website during the Fragile era)
    2. And All That Could Have Been
    3. Deep
    4. The Great Collapse
    5. Metal
    6. 10 Miles High
    7. Slipping Away
    8. Appendage
    9. Adrift and at Peace
    10. Gone, Still
    11. The Persistence of Loss
    12. Leaving Hope
    13. Complications of the Flesh
    14. The New Flesh

Complete with artwork.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    TFA is easily my favorite remix album.
    It's ALMOST my favorite but that honor goes to Fixed.
    I know I'm in the minority with my love for Fixed, but I fucking adore it. I adored it when it came out when I was in middle school and I still love it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I LOVE FDTS because it sound like ... a real concept album, like TDS but in a more complexe and industrial way. All the remixes of Mr Self Destruct are fucking great.
    TFA is great too. Fixed is pretty good. And I really don't like YZR !

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    And I really don't like YZR !
    I recently re-listened to YZR and it's not that bad. It really could have used some editing, though.

That Capital G remix is truly atrocious.
    Since Saul's Survivalism mix was on the single already, it should have been replaced with his vinyl-exclusive OpalHeartClinic version.
    The Vessel 'remix' barely counts as a remix and could easily have been changed for one of the superior fan renditions.
    And Me, I'm Not is a cool idea that drags about 10 minutes longer than it should.

One of my main issues is that they set up a huge website for fans to share remixes and only used one of those, despite the fact that many were better than the 'official' mixes.

Aside from that, it's pretty decent.
    Last edited by katara; 07-12-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have the vinyl version of YZR, and while I sort of appreciate having exclusive tracks, the ones that are genuinely worthwhile are few and far between.

It's not a bad release, but it could have benefited from a bit more moderation and critical thinking. I also think it's unfortunate that it was essentially a contractual obligation, cause it actually feels like one to me.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yeah YZR is like the only nin release that I honestly didn't like.

I DO love the concept though, the way it came with the multitracks. In fact it was fucking awesome. So in that way, it's one of my favorite releases. Interesting dichotomy I guess.

I kind of felt like the remixes were just examples of what you could do with the multitracks.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but back on topic:
    How about that Frail version on TFA? It's SO badass.
    It sounds to me like there are ghosts or aliens going about various activities throughout it, or possibly sentient robots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love TFA, first NIN CD I was able to buy, lol.

Slipping Away is probably my favorite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was surprised when i first listened to TFA. I had no clue what i was getting into, found it at a local music shop at the time and bought it because I had recently discovered NIN. I instantly fell in love, definitely my favorite remix album. Some of these songs i just cant get out of my head!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It's ALMOST my favorite but that honor goes to Fixed.
    I know I'm in the minority with my love for Fixed, but I fucking adore it. I adored it when it came out when I was in middle school and I still love it now.
    Fixed is still my favorite. The way it takes a hammer to Broken and sort of, kind of, tries to reassemble it is a fascinating listen every single time.

I have to admit that I'm not really big on TFA at all. There are individual tracks I enjoy - Metal, The Frail, The Great Collapse - but it's an unpleasant listen as a whole. Now that I think about it, I've got the remix albums ranked in the order they came out - YZR in particular felt like a waste of time.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Fixed is still my favorite. The way it takes a hammer to Broken and sort of, kind of, tries to reassemble it is a fascinating listen every single time.

Church.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Reanimation is the best remix album of all time. Ooops, wrong board.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Seriously though Reanimation is the shit. I love the remixes of One Step Closer and Pushing Me Away especially.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Reanimation is the best remix album of all time. Ooops, wrong board.