Page 416 of 527 FirstFirst ... 316 366 406 414 415 416 417 418 426 466 516 ... LastLast
Results 12,451 to 12,480 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    like, i can handle the ones where people don't like the music or the mixing, or are weirded out by TBW's loop...but there are so many people literally wishing trent was a drug addict again...jesus fucking christ. i'm glad when people say that shit around here, everyone shuts them down.
    I've never heard any of my straight edge friends say that it's necessary for an artist to use drugs to provide inspiration for their craft. I have, however, heard this from many of my drug addict friends, many times over the years.

I infer from this several things (and this insight is coming from personal experience, as a struggling addict for several decades). There is usually some form of self-loathing, or at least, a lack of self-worth involved with recurring drug/alcohol use. For me personally, it was quite easy to relate to someone like Trent who was clearly suffering many of the same pains and thoughts felt by many of his fans, especially in TDS era. I think it's easy to assume that perhaps, as an addict, you can keep your shit together because it appears that someone like Trent is clearly keeping his shit together. Of course, in retrospect, it's quite obvious knowing that he had to be revived on an operating table from an overdose that he was far from having his shit together.

He was very, very lucky. I'm glad that he took control of his second chance and pushed his life in a different direction. There would have been no awards for Trent, no beautiful family, and no more great music for all of us to enjoy. I think it's tough for some fans that still struggle with addiction and/or thoughts of self-worth to see a different version of Trent ("I've survived everything...") that is now thriving. Perhaps an upbeat lyric or beat is tough to relate to when the previous version of him offered some sort of vindication to the self-destructive lifestyle a fan might choose for themself.

When I read fan comments like the one you refer to, such as Trent (or substitute any other artist here) was better when he was fucked out of his mind on drugs, screaming about suicide, I find the comment more self-reflective to the poster than to Trent's current artistic output.

Of course, one likes the music one likes and I'm not trying to offend anyone that has made comments like this before, because I'm someone that has personally said the same thing. I'm just giving my two cents from someone that has walked this road. Personally, I find more inspiration in the new Trent compared to the old Trent.

I'm glad David Bowie knocked some truth into him about not needing drugs to cope. (And anyone that knows anything about Bowie knows that he walked down that road to self-destruction too.) So personally, I love his new ode to Bowie, because I know he was one of the most important people in his life.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    wow...uh, don't read the negative reviews of ADD VIOLENCE on amazon. people are awful, awful human beings.
    I think a lot of people who say those kind of things are metal heads who think anything that isn't heavy is bad. So many people who say these things say they haven't liked NIN since the 90s. Like twenty years ago. And yet they still complain about every release. I can understand not being into all of the stuff, but to hate it and think that it's so incredibly bad is pretty alien to me. Even people I know who don't like the band see the merit in what they're doing, it's just not for them. These comments always read like metal heads who just can't grasp that NIN doesn't make bad metal albums, they just don't make metal albums at all.

EDIT: I was bored and checked. Out of all the bad reviews, only two or three of the reviewers had reviewed other music on amazon. Surprise surprise, 100% metal. The other ones who hadn't reviewed other music had reviewed items like books on Satanism, Edgar Allan Poe, and old gothic horror movies. I think you can read between the lines on what they listen to.
    Last edited by zecho; 05-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Out of all the bad reviews, only two or three of the reviewers had reviewed other music on amazon. Surprise surprise, 100% metal. The other ones who hadn't reviewed other music had reviewed items like books on Satanism, Edgar Allan Poe, and old gothic horror movies. I think you can read between the lines on what they listen to.
    Donald Trump?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So many people who say these things say they haven't liked NIN since the 90s. Like twenty years ago. And yet they still complain about every release.
    Hmm, sounds like a few of the members on here.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    EDIT: I was bored and checked. Out of all the bad reviews, only two or three of the reviewers had reviewed other music on amazon. Surprise surprise, 100% metal. The other ones who hadn't reviewed other music had reviewed items like books on Satanism, Edgar Allan Poe, and old gothic horror movies. I think you can read between the lines on what they listen to.
    you'd think that people who are in to satanism wouldn't try to dictate what other people do in terms of consuming illicit substances (or really anything at all). guess they're not very good satanists.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    you'd think that people who are in to satanism wouldn't try to dictate what other people do in terms of consuming illicit substances (or really anything at all). guess they're not very good satanists.
    I have a theory that no one is actually a Satanist, they just really like the name and want to sound edgy. The philosophy is just there so they can point to something to seem deeper and more philosophical about being dark and angsty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a theory that no one is actually a Satanist, they just really like the name and want to sound edgy. The philosophy is just there so they can point to something to seem deeper and more philosophical about being dark and angsty.
    Eh. Most of the Satanists I've met are just snarky atheists. :P (Trying to make points about the separation of church & state, etc.)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wish Trent would tell the producers of NIN clothing to “suck [his] entire cock.”

I mean, can we get one shirt that lasts more than one wash cycle before fading?
    Last edited by Bachy; 05-25-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I wish Trent would tell the producers of NIN clothing to “suck [his] entire cock.”

I mean, can we get one shirt that lasts more than one wash cycle before fading?
    how hot do you wash your clothes?

flip the shirts inside-out, wash on cold, hang to dry. i've worn my AV diagram shirt about once a week since i got it last year and it hasn't faded a bit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Phimester View Post
    THTF is awesome. Killer stereo at home and pump that, gets me moving every time.

I saw that video tonight and was going to post but, but sort of figured it would be here already. I hadn't really heard some of those sounds hidden in the mix before, definitely going back into heavy rotation tomorrow.
    I think THTF would have been much better if it ended at 2:30 instead of devolving into another minute of repetition.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I think THTF would have been much better if it ended at 2:30 instead of devolving into another minute of repetition.
    I know this isn't the controversial opinions thread, but you can say that about a few NIN songs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I know this isn't the controversial opinions thread, but you can say that about a few NIN songs.
    Nah the intensity at the end is worth it

it's not a perfectly engineered piece of catchy pop music for ya it's what Trent feels I guess, forever gaining in intensity when it abruptly cuts off

Another reason why the end of Came Back Haunted is amazing
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 05-25-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    You must hate the Photek mix

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    What Makes This Song Great? Rick Beato has been breaking down songs recently. In this episode he does The Hand That Feeds.

"NIN's 4th studio record, With teeth, which came out March 28th, 2005"

Did this guy even do his homework??? Where is he getting this information from? When he said that I immediately knew he was wrong.
    It came out in May and I remember this because I was living in Winnipeg at the time and I had to wear my winter coat to go get this record. It was odd to have the weather so cold for beginning of May. I also had a promo poster of the record up on my wall for nearly a decade that had the release date in giant white font 05_03_05 on it, and that date is permanently stuck in my brain.

I don't care if the rest of the video is amazing, he's lost all his credibility already. I turned the video off at that point.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^THTF single was released on March 28th I think?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    ^THTF single was released on March 28th I think?
    Hmm... OK, that makes a little more sense. Poor choice of delivery though. Should have said "The hand that feeds was released on March 28th, 2005 from their 4th record With_Teeth" or something like that. The way he says it, is going to confuse the listener into thinking the record came out on March 28th, at least that's how I took it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With Teeth came out on May 3. I remember because that’s my birthday.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    One of the new guys at work looks spot-on like circa 2009-era Trent. His first name is Michael.

Some next level ARG, this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I also appreciate THTF especially because it's one of the first NIN protest songs that isn't quite as solipsistic as some of the usual NIN lyrics (with the possible exception of Heresy, specifically about AIDS and evangelical Christians). Don't get me wrong, I love the NIN solipsism, but I like that he took a risk, did something a little different, and then expanded it into a topic for an entire album.

But I don't get the hate for it. Is it the main guitar riff/chord sequence? It is a bit "standard" sounding but the song is built incredibly well as that video shows.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I kind of want to hear Trent cover a song by the Magnetic Fields

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I kind of want to hear Trent cover a song by the Magnetic Fields
    This is a good idea. Which one?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    listening to ghosts I-IV. tied with the fragile for my favorite NIN. would luv to see trent & atticus do some shows with just the 2 of them doing instrumental stuff. ghosts & soundtracks, deviations. small places. maybe team with banksy, like trent did at his event, for an immersive experience. something different that pushes the boundaries. just a thought....

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    listening to ghosts I-IV. tied with the fragile for my favorite NIN. would luv to see trent & atticus do some shows with just the 2 of them doing instrumental stuff. ghosts & soundtracks, deviations. small places. maybe team with banksy, like trent did at his event, for an immersive experience. something different that pushes the boundaries. just a thought....
    I would pay damn good money for a Ghosts/OST concert. Also would walk out if Panoramic didn't get played

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    This is a good idea. Which one?
    Either of these I think would be suitable, but Trent would probably do something out of left field like Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side, and not what you'd expect him to cover.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Either of these I think would be suitable, but Trent would probably do something out of left field like Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side, and not what you'd expect him to cover.

Very good choices. I'd also like to hear "Strange Powers" or, on the less characteristic side, "Desert Island," possibly only releasable as "Trent Reznor" and not NIN.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I would pay damn good money for a Ghosts/OST concert.
    I would as well, but barring that, they need to play more of those tracks while on tour.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I would as well, but barring that, they need to play more of those tracks while on tour.
    At this point in time, not a single track from Ghosts has been played in Europe - it's been nearly a decade!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know it will never happen, but I would love to see the big four of Industrial tour or a least a festival with Industrial acts of the past and present.

Headliners:

NIN
    Skinny Puppy
    Ministry
    KMFDM

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by motionlessZombie View Post
    I know it will never happen, but I would love to see the big four of Industrial tour or a least a festival with Industrial acts of the past and present.

Headliners:

NIN
    Skinny Puppy
    Ministry
    KMFDM
    This festival is probably as close as it gets:
    http://www.coldwaves.net/
    Last edited by somewhat_; 05-27-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Been seeing a lot of reimaginings of the Bad Witch cover and I'm disappointed to see none of them have deployed something like this.
    photo host